Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  General Discussion  |   Page 1 of 3 | Jump To >> | Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
DJ's should show some respect!
davidmclean
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 22:01:55 (959)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I am hearing more and more examples of DJ's messing around with other people's tracks, and doing re-edits, and adding and subtracting various parts/elements from other peoples tracks to make their own versions.

I don't agree with this.

If i play someone's track, it's because i think it's good enough to make it's way into my playlist.

If i don't like a track enough to include in my playlist as it is, i leave it out and find something i like better.

I don't take a track that i don't like that much and try and change it. For me, that's disrespectful to the artist who spent hours making the track - and probably spent years learning to produce!

So i say to DJ's who do this - either choose tracks that you love enough to not want to change, or get off your arses and start producing your own tracks that are just as you want them. God knows it's easy enough to get started with production these days!

For me messing around with other peoples tracks is just a pretentious and pathetic attempt to try and make DJing look and seem harder than it actually is - just get hold of amazing music and play the tunes for fucks sake!!

Does anyone either agree, or have a decent counter-argument to this?
TranceElevation
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 22:03:44 (960)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

davidmclean wrote:
I am hearing more and more examples of DJ's messing around with other people's tracks, and doing re-edits, and adding and subtracting various parts/elements from other peoples tracks to make their own versions.

I don't agree with this.

If i play someone's track, it's because i think it's good enough to make it's way into my playlist.

If i don't like a track enough to include in my playlist as it is, i leave it out and find something i like better.

I don't take a track that i don't like that much and try and change it. For me, that's disrespectful to the artist who spent hours making the track - and probably spent years learning to produce!

So i say to DJ's who do this - either choose tracks that you love enough to not want to change, or get off your arses and start producing your own tracks that are just as you want them. God knows it's easy enough to get started with production these days!

For me messing around with other peoples tracks is just a pretentious and pathetic attempt to try and make DJing look and seem harder than it actually is - just get hold of amazing music and play the tunes for fucks sake!!

dancemania
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 22:07:08 (963)  Reply with quote
T.nu Staff

Are you going to complain as well if they play a track at a higher or slower BPM than the BPM of the original release? lol

Join the Ferry Corsten forum!!! : www.ferrycorsten.com/forum
dancemania Check http://www.twitter.com/TranceClassics for the best trance classics!
davidmclean
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 22:13:50 (967)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

adjusting the BPM of a record is different to what i'm talking about - DJ's have to do that in order to beat-match, otherwise it would sound like shit when you try and mix two records - but not subjective shit - everyone in the club would agree it sounds shit!

lets not confuse what i am talking about here - i'm talking about when DJ's make fundamental changes to the make-up of a track - such as adding in new pads or melodies over the top of a track.

For me, that just says that the DJ doesn't think the track is good enough as it is - so why play it?
Rick Mage
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 22:14:32 (968)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

davidmclean wrote:

I don't agree with this.

I actually agree with you on this. I never buy a song unless I love it. If I love the song, why fuck it up with samples from other songs? Makes no sense to me. Yeah, preteens might be impressed with that shit but not purists who are no longer children.....

Last edited by Rick Mage on 05 October 2010 - 22:17:16 (970); edited 1 time in total

davidmclean
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 22:17:10 (970)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Quote:

not the greatest counter-argument i've ever heard by a long way! surely you can do better than that?
dancemania
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 22:18:14 (970)  Reply with quote
T.nu Staff

davidmclean wrote:
i'm talking about when DJ's make fundamental changes to the make-up of a track - such as adding in new pads or melodies over the top of a track.

For me, that just says that the DJ doesn't think the track is good enough as it is - so why play it?

Because sometimes when they change something, the result is better and it works on the dancefloor. I don't see a huge problem in it myself to be honest.

dancemania Check http://www.twitter.com/TranceClassics for the best trance classics!
Rick Mage
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 22:22:43 (974)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

dancemania wrote:
davidmclean wrote:
i'm talking about when DJ's make fundamental changes to the make-up of a track - such as adding in new pads or melodies over the top of a track.

Because sometimes when they change something, the result is better and it works on the dancefloor.
But not most of the time. And it only works when you have two piss poor songs. The two combined might sound cool. But it never works when you are playing an anthem and you fuck it up with another sample.

dancemania
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 22:26:26 (976)  Reply with quote
T.nu Staff

Rick Mage wrote:
dancemania wrote:
davidmclean wrote:

Because sometimes when they change something, the result is better and it works on the dancefloor.
But not most of the time. And it only works when you have two piss poor songs. The two combined might sound cool. But it never works when you are playing an anthem and you fuck it up with another sample.

XDR
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 22:29:23 (978)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I disagree.

I think the sole purpose of the DJ is to make his/her audience have a great time and that should be done in whatever way the DJ wants to do it.
When you're playing tracks in a set you're basically already sampling them for your performance and by mixing the tracks together in certain ways and enhancing them with effects such as filters and delays you're creating your own versions of these tracks.

Sitting down with Ableton or any other program and editing tracks that way is just an extension of the DJ's performance. You're optimising the track for your sets and taste, which is what you would be doing during your sets anyway only with these programs you have more options.

PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 22:37:43 (984)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

^

No that's just a piss poor excuse for people who do not know how to beat match and blend very well to use Ableton or any other program....cool Of course, they'll tell everyone that they've been spinning on vinyl for 50 years before they've decided to "evolve". cool And, for the most part, people go for the music, not to see or "hear" a show. Besides, if the DJ's music is not enough to move the crowd, without having to put samples in them, maybe he should shop somewhere else for music.

Last edited by Rick Mage on 05 October 2010 - 22:40:29 (986); edited 1 time in total

adriandegar
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 22:40:25 (986)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I think the argument you're making isn't clear.

I mean a good example of how this can actually work IMO is Dj Eco's track Tonight Is Forever.

A) The original mix was done by Dj Eco.

B) Martin Roth put some instruments over the original mix and came up with the edit that seemed to push the track over the edge for a lot of people including armin.

c) The original is amazing and the edit was a good compliment.

Where I do agree with you is when people make half-ass edits that clearly sound worse than the original but force themselves into thinking it's good because they did something to it. If it doesn't sound good, it isn't.
Rick Mage
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 22:49:34 (992)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Remixes in the studio and remixing on the dance floor are two different things. But my stance is basically both the same for both except with one exception for in the studio remixes. If a song is weak and you can make it stronger, all power to you. However, if a song was already a big smash hit and you decide to want to make your own version, so you can leach off of someone's success, shame on you!

Last edited by Rick Mage on 05 October 2010 - 22:50:25 (993); edited 1 time in total

XDR
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 22:50:22 (993)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Rick Mage wrote:
^

No that's just a piss poor excuse for people who do not know how to beat match and blend very well to use Ableton or any other program....cool Of course, they'll tell everyone that they've been spinning on vinyl for 50 years before they've decided to "evolve". cool

What does beatmatching have to do with editing a track or adding effects to it?

Rick Mage wrote:
And, for the most part, people go for the music, not to see or "hear" a show. Besides, if the DJ's music is not enough to move the crowd, without having to put samples in them, maybe he should shop somewhere else for music.

Exactly, people come for the music. I don't see why it would matter to them how it was made as long as it's good.

PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 22:54:29 (996)  Reply with quote
T.nu Staff

adriandegar: Why didn't you use your other alias here to post this?