Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I produce?  |   Page 1 of 1 | Jump To >> |
Mixing issue
Bu_man
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 19:26:40 (851)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Howdy!

I got some issues i hoped you guys could help me with, ill dive right into it.

Lets take this scenario i set up a bassdrum, some drums (hats etc) and everything sits nicely, however when im inserting the bassline or for instance the lead it either sounds too low or overpowering the other instruments. Ive tried fiddeling with the levels. what can i do?
varroa
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 19:37:35 (859)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

eq everything
varroa Portfolio: www.varroae.com SOUNDCLOUD: www.soundcloud.com/djvarroa
Bu_man
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 20:30:40 (896)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

oh btw what i meant by the bass or synth overpowering the other instruments is that the signal sounds stronger, not louder in db.
Frumbasjt
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 20:39:01 (902)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

can u post a sample?

Settimo
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 20:40:17 (902)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Turn your kick and synth's stereo buss down. Set up a rough mix, try to get everything to sit in its own spot in the mix. I can't really give you any advice, but you just have to play around, it will most likely sound like crap at first if you're new to mixing, but the more you practice the better you get. Try limiting your synth and kick?
WarrenK
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 20:56:04 (913)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Post a sample but listen to varroa Eq is your friend
Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 30 September 2010 - 06:54:09 (329)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

You answered the question yourself; EQ changes the frequency content of a sound so you can use it to take away the frequencies that are impeding on those of other instruments. Of course this is oversimplifying it; you may need to resort to other methods at times.

But how are stronger and louder in dB different things?

Bu_man
PostPosted: 30 September 2010 - 08:03:25 (377)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Atlantis_AR wrote:
You answered the question yourself; EQ changes the frequency content of a sound so you can use it to take away the frequencies that are impeding on those of other instruments. Of course this is oversimplifying it; you may need to resort to other methods at times.

But how are stronger and louder in dB different things?

The signal in db is not louder it just sounds louder compare to the other instruments, maybe i need to compress something?
Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 30 September 2010 - 10:40:14 (486)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Bu_man wrote:
The signal in db is not louder it just sounds louder compare to the other instruments, maybe i need to compress something?

That would mean the RMS is louder, but I'm not really sure how that's possible. Either way, you want to compress something only if you think it needs compressing. Usually this involves bringing the volume of loud parts down, so you're going to be compromising dynamic range and modifying the dynamics of the sound.

OneManBand
PostPosted: 30 September 2010 - 10:50:26 (493)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

What's happening (if I understood things right) is that you got frequencies overlapping eachother, creating this layered-effect. Say you got your bass playing with frequencies from 200Hz-3kHz. You then add a synthline with freq's playing 600Hz-8kHz. As you can see, there's quite a frequency range where there's a lot happening, creating a larger sound.

What you want to do is determine which instrument you want to have as the dominant one is certain freq-area and carefuly cut those freq's from other instruments (be careful though you don't ruin a sound).

Side-chaining is also a very good way of cleaning up and keeping sounds "organized". (Note: side-chaining doesn't mean you have to make everything "pumping". A light side-chaining keeps helps keeping your mix tight and rolling).

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=113103&displ_lang=en
OneManBand has no status
raj84
PostPosted: 30 September 2010 - 11:02:43 (501)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Some motherboards are more tolerant of mixing ram than others. Since you're not only mixing speeds, but mixing module capacities, you're going to tend to have more issues.

Technically, there's nothing wrong with what you did. It SHOULD work, but like I said, some MBs are better than others at handling this. They should all just work at the speed of your slowest module (667 Mhz).

Seo Glasgow | Seo Scotland