Users online: 0

Guests online: 172
Total online: 172
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  General Discussion  |   Page 1 of 5 | Jump To >> | Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Talentless > Talent
skylite
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 22:00:02 (958)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Im starting to wonder why the DJs who use computers to do all their mixing make more money at clubs. It seems that no one really cares anymore whether or not you can actually beatmatch yourself (the patrons and the owners/staff)

I can understand that its easier to not have to ever worry about beats going off, since on digital CD players it can sometimes techinically never be exactly on beat since the pitch is not analog. And it can be esaier if you want to be a chatty DJ in that sense as well.

I notice that even most major DJs use computers for all their mixing needs during their live sets and on their mixes they promote.

All in all, its a little upsetting but I wanted to know what your opinions are on this. Should we just throw down our prides and assimilate, or keep hanging on to a dying style of DJing..?

PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 22:08:42 (964)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I heart my CDJs thumbsup

But yeah, djing evolves, and in a few years I'll probably be just as retro as people who use vinyl are now^^ (which is not necessarily a bad thing)

a'ndY pres. Entrancing Melodies on DiscoverTrance
Next Episode: Oct 4, 18 CET
andYMkIII R.I.P. trance.nu, thanks for everything, I had a great time here :,(
jetflag
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 22:30:29 (979)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

andYMkIII wrote:
I heart my CDJs thumbsup

But yeah, djing evolves, and in a few years I'll probably be just as retro as people who use vinyl are now^^ (which is not necessarily a bad thing)

SHUSH!! don't mention the word evolve in here,

it might upset the purists... left right alienhead

Lydhus
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 22:41:02 (986)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I hope the future brings vinyls back! I will never sell my vinyl collection in case it suddenly become popular again, and we coul decrease the djs with more than 90% happy

10 years ago even the producers got nicely paid, and some releases could even be sold out! Good music was signed back then compared to the shit beeing released today.. a shame for EDM

Lydhus aka Sinfour | Issues | Pure Touch | White Penguin
imtryinmybest
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 22:46:16 (990)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

agreed with lydhus - my feelings exactly.

will always use CDJ's. only use computers for mixing just to quickly get some tracks together and see what they sound like together.... then the full mix on the decks. nothing beats "natural" beauty.

skylite
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 23:35:07 (024)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I agree with all of you here I just don't see why at the club I work at for instance one of the djs who opens up for the headliners is able to get away with using ableton.

The other weekend ago, god knows why, nick cannon was the headliner for a Saturday. He had his back to the audience when the next song completely dropped. And no one cared, it seemed like, but me. It's aggravating. I'm sure it's a case by case instance considering I'm in Houston. But it's killing the real art of djing correctly. And being able to do it well enough to entertain and keep a crowd going.

PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 00:24:03 (058)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Live mixing with computers is like, ... ..., well I can not think of something as lame as doing this. If you are getting paid for playing music in front of people you should at least have some skill and talent and not just press a “sync” button.

Play vinyl!
BlindSummit
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 00:43:25 (071)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

skylite wrote:
Im starting to wonder why the DJs who use computers to do all their mixing make more money at clubs. It seems that no one really cares anymore whether or not you can actually beatmatch yourself (the patrons and the owners/staff)

I can understand that its easier to not have to ever worry about beats going off, since on digital CD players it can sometimes techinically never be exactly on beat since the pitch is not analog. And it can be esaier if you want to be a chatty DJ in that sense as well.

I notice that even most major DJs use computers for all their mixing needs during their live sets and on their mixes they promote.

All in all, its a little upsetting but I wanted to know what your opinions are on this. Should we just throw down our prides and assimilate, or keep hanging on to a dying style of DJing..?

I don't understand the opinion that djing with laptops somehow requires less talent or skill than djing with vinyl or cds.

Once you've been spinning for a few years you can beat match a tune while having a phone conversation, what's so special about that? Beat-matching is a small part of the skill.

I am a fan of rough mixing though, I like to hear the beats slip out of time but that is purely aural - nothing to do with digital vs analog.
skylite
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 00:46:03 (073)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

It's essentially like playing guitar in a rock band but your instrument is prerecorded and you just up there strumming.

I started out on vinyl but really it seems uneconomical to use it as my set list alone would be around 800 dollars. Then having to weekly change at least 20-30 songs which is about 300 your spending every week.

PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 00:50:55 (077)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Lydhus wrote:
I hope the future brings vinyls back! I will never sell my vinyl collection in case it suddenly become popular again, and we coul decrease the djs with more than 90% happy

10 years ago even the producers got nicely paid, and some releases could even be sold out! Good music was signed back then compared to the shit beeing released today.. a shame for EDM

popular again? if you want to play vinyl, play vinyl. you think even 5 percent of clubbers give a shit what you are playing? come on....... who really cares, it's what you do with it that counts and with digital (and some talent and skills) you can accomplish with digital what you cannot possibly do with vinyl.

Times change, move on.

Look, to put a cap on all the crap that is being spilled about using a computer for djing on this page - the dj instructs the computer on what to do, just the same as the dj plays the decks. I can't believe the nonsense I'm seeing here. The computer is not doing the mixing on it's own. Get a grip people and evolve with the times. Do you think oldschool producers look at us using computers and say, "that's wrong or that's not the way to do it"? Fuck no, they say, "I wish we had that in my day". Evolve.

I started on vinyl, still love vinyl and if it wasn't 10 times the price of a cd, I would buy it but it is and I can do so much more with my laptop and still entertain the crowd (if I use it right) which I do.
the moonpainter
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 01:01:47 (084)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

BlindSummit wrote:

The computer is not doing the mixing on it's own.

As long as you don’t consider defining where track 1 fades in and where track 2 fades out mixing, it does.

THIS is mixing:

Youtube link
BlindSummit
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 01:09:27 (089)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

What?

What are you talking about man?

You still need to know your tunes - nothing has changed there. If you think the visual element of an audio file helps the djing process I put it to you that every dj worth his salt has looked at the grooves on the record to check where he's at. Would you call that cheating?
the moonpainter
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 01:17:07 (095)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

BlindSummit wrote:

You still need to know your tunes - nothing has changed there.

That is essential, of course. This thread is about technique and skill, not about the basic requirements of djing.
BlindSummit
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 01:18:42 (096)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

So let me get this straight - you think simply taking the beat matching out of djing means there's nothing skillful left to do. Beat matching is the sole skill of djing?
skylite
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 01:35:12 (107)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

BlindSummit wrote:
What?

What are you talking about man?

You still need to know your tunes - nothing has changed there. If you think the visual element of an audio file helps the djing process I put it to you that every dj worth his salt has looked at the grooves on the record to check where he's at. Would you call that cheating?

No. I actually enjoyed that on vinyls. But using a computer just makes you a modern jukebox. Eventually someone is going to come out with a program that does everything. Then are you gonna be on the dance floor talkin about how awesome that Dell is at spinning music? Jw...