Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  This makes me mad!  |   Page 1 of 2 | Jump To >> | Goto page 1, 2  Next
People who say they "HATE TECHNO" and love Lady Ga
KulshanRecord
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 06:51:26 (327)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Former girlfriends, people on the street, and just about everyone I encounter here in the States, not only lumps all EDM into Techno (irritating), and refuses to talk to me when they find out I listen to electronic music, but then have the huevos to start dancing around and singing along to some Lady Gaga song with as much gusto as if they just had a conversation with God, and he gave them a high five.

What part of her electro/ gabber/ trance/ europop sonic mashups ISN'T solidly electronic music?

And how can people have the balls to say they hate that "doof doof techno s**t" in one breath, then sing along to Pokerface the next?

It'd be one thing if they didn't like EDM in general, INCLUDING Lady Gaga. But ragging on me and my trance, or house, then listening to bad mishmashes OF those genres is just hypocritical.

Anyone else run into the same thing? It's MADDENING.

That's my rant anyway.

(before anyone says "Gabber? How is she gabber?" there's hoovers in some of her tunes; old gabber staple from way back when. Not used a LOT, but used prominently enough that I noticed)
KulshanRecord is Chillin'... LOUDLY
heylookitsOscar
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 09:07:47 (422)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

word
heylookitsOscar Christopher Lawrence: Rush Hour \ John 00 Fleming - Global Trance Grooves
wess
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 10:28:48 (478)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

KulshanRecord wrote:
Former girlfriends, people on the street, and just about everyone I encounter here in the States, not only lumps all EDM into Techno (irritating), and refuses to talk to me when they find out I listen to electronic music, but then have the huevos to start dancing around and singing along to some Lady Gaga song with as much gusto as if they just had a conversation with God, and he gave them a high five.)

I can't believe anyone would really do that...
KulshanRecord
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 11:03:22 (502)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Welcome to the USA, baby! :P
DrumJunkie
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 14:41:25 (653)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I think all forms of EDM are becoming better understood in the states as not just "Techno' but overall the stereotype still exists here. There used to be such a great house/underground tribal scene in NYC and many clubs were dedicated to strictly house and real techno not just you know "techno". That has faded but EDM is becoming more global then ever so time will tell. I will say that I used to hate that people here in the states would say trance is "techno" but there is a part of me that loves that some people don't get it and you know when you go to a trance event you get some true fans.
jetflag
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 14:48:42 (658)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I have the same with a friend of mine who loves metal..

I'm like, Ah! rock music

he's like. No you idiot! its called doom-metal-with-a-twist-of-speed why do you refuse to make a difference between that!!!!

I'm like, because I don't listen much to rock mus...owh sorry, doom-metal-with-a-twist-of-speed.

satisfied

Sarpedon
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 16:15:39 (719)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Yeah, that bugs the piss out of me too. But, on a lighter note, Lady GaGa and Katy Perry are kind of fun to mix in between some up-beat vocal trance tracks ;)

a guy named DJ Dark Intensity made a pretty good remix (IMO) to California Gurls by Katy Perry. Search YouTube for it :)
Barohn
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 17:54:14 (787)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Yeah, this makes nearly as mad as people who say they like techno but hate Lady Gaga...
Barohn Good bye trance.nu. Seems like I won't need my internet connection anymore :(
WebmaN
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 19:02:01 (834)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

jetflag wrote:

I'm like, Ah! rock music

he's like. No you idiot! its called doom-metal-with-a-twist-of-speed why do you refuse to make a difference between that!!!!

I'm like, because I don't listen much to rock mus...owh sorry, doom-metal-with-a-twist-of-speed.

satisfied

you narrowminded prick

whining old men alliance we're all pro
WebmaN is
KulshanRecord
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 19:25:05 (850)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

My main frustration lies in that I can be talking to a girl, or she could even approach me as I'm jamming to some Alphazone, or Peaktwins, or Arctic Moon on my headphones, and ask me what I'm listening to... and as soon as I say "epic trance" or "hard trance," and she asks what that is... I'll give her a headphone, she'll listen for 2 seconds... then say "Oh. Techno." Then TURN AWAY and never speak to me again.

This has happened to me loads of times, no joke. In more than one state.

But they heart "Alejandro" by L.G.

wtf?
WebmaN
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 20:26:40 (893)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

how weird. they even sound exactly the same wow.

whining old men alliance we're all pro
WebmaN is
KulshanRecord
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 21:17:53 (929)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

WebmaN wrote:
how weird. they even sound exactly the same wow.

lol
jetflag
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 21:31:58 (938)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

WebmaN wrote:
jetflag wrote:

I'm like, Ah! rock music

satisfied

you narrowminded prick

I might be minded, but i'm not narrow nerdy

Idonotlikebroccoli
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 21:51:04 (952)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Such a huge amount of music nowadays has electronic sounds in it. What you're doing is like comparing songs that have guitars in them. Besides, Lady GaGa is far more accessible, catchy and dancable than any techno music.

Or like getting angry over the fact that people don't like your super weird favourite food. Some people might not have tasted it, both most simply prefer other things. More food for you!

Maybe some time in the future, I'll meet the girl of my dreams, miss "My headphones cost more than my mp3 player, btw, check out this hugely imaginative masterfully crafted (electronic) journey of an album I'm listening to", but for now, I'm willing to put aside that criteria puh

Idonotlikebroccoli "Sama" by Ishq: Maybe my new favourite album of 2010.
Sarpedon
PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 22:56:07 (997)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

KulshanRecord wrote:
My main frustration lies in that I can be talking to a girl, or she could even approach me as I'm jamming to some Alphazone, or Peaktwins, or Arctic Moon on my headphones, and ask me what I'm listening to... and as soon as I say "epic trance" or "hard trance," and she asks what that is... I'll give her a headphone, she'll listen for 2 seconds... then say "Oh. Techno." Then TURN AWAY and never speak to me again.

This has happened to me loads of times, no joke. In more than one state.

But they (L) "Alejandro" by L.G.

wtf?

Hrmm... Maybe listen to some down-tempo Shpongle or Hallucinogen? That's about the same speed as Alejandro :P Or, if they say they like Katy Perry, or Bad Romance by Lady GaGa, just keep some happy, poppy euro dance songs on your portable media device ;) I love playing Angel City's "Love Me Right" for "new" EDM people.