Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I produce?  |   Page 2 of 2 | Jump To >> | Goto page Previous  1, 2
My first mastering job
Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 17 September 2010 - 14:55:04 (663)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

djandymac wrote:
yeh its multiband buddy, I always thought you could be tighter at the low end as there isnt the same risk of compromising the transients? well you learn something new everyday eh lol. I'll look into tightening up the higher bands in future too. cheers for listening and the advice you have given me buddy happy

Roughly quoting the Waves LinMB documentation: "The processor defaults and presets offer nice scaling of the time constants - attack and release - in relation to their band's wavelength, providing slower settings to lower bands and faster values to higher bands."

Compromising transients is usually something you will have to put up with when mastering in order to get the RMS up (this is where upward compression really shines), and having too low a setting for the lower bands means the bass frequencies get smudged out and distorted, whereas higher frequencies can do with more (i.e. lower values). It all comes down to wavelength - lower frequencies have a longer one, higher frequencies a shorter one.

djandymac
PostPosted: 17 September 2010 - 14:59:59 (666)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Atlantis_AR wrote:
djandymac wrote:
yeh its multiband buddy, I always thought you could be tighter at the low end as there isnt the same risk of compromising the transients? well you learn something new everyday eh lol. I'll look into tightening up the higher bands in future too. cheers for listening and the advice you have given me buddy happy

Roughly quoting the Waves LinMB documentation: "The processor defaults and presets offer nice scaling of the time constants - attack and release - in relation to their band's wavelength, providing slower settings to lower bands and faster values to higher bands."

Compromising transients is usually something you will have to put up with when mastering in order to get the RMS up (this is where upward compression really shines), and having too low a setting for the lower bands means the bass frequencies get smudged out and distorted, whereas higher frequencies can do with more (i.e. lower values). It all comes down to wavelength - lower frequencies have a longer one, higher frequencies a shorter one.
cheers for the info dude, understand the wavelength in relation to the settings but i thought it was more related to the release times i.e. the busier the music the faster he release time should be in order for the level to bck back before it comes down again.

Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 17 September 2010 - 15:17:42 (678)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

djandymac wrote:
cheers for the info dude, understand the wavelength in relation to the settings but i thought it was more related to the release times i.e. the busier the music the faster he release time should be in order for the level to bck back before it comes down again.

Well the busier the music the more amount of frequencies there will be, and it would make sense to lower the release setting in order to grab more peaks (considering there will be short, high frequencies, too). But try compressing a sub-bass with a low release setting and all you get is distortion. I guess it depends on how you're trying to compress the signal and whether you want the release to bounce back or change more suddenly. In the end you just have to go with what feels right. happy

djandymac
PostPosted: 17 September 2010 - 15:19:29 (680)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Atlantis_AR wrote:
djandymac wrote:

Well the busier the music the more amount of frequencies there will be, and it would make sense to lower the release setting in order to grab more peaks (considering there will be short, high frequencies, too). But try compressing a sub-bass with a low release setting and all you get is distortion. I guess it depends on how you're trying to compress the signal and whether you want the release to bounce back or change more suddenly. In the end you just have to go with what feels right. happy
im glad you commented on this post atlantis, you've given me something to think about happy cheers buddy