Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  This makes me mad!  |   Page 1 of 2 | Jump To >> | Goto page 1, 2  Next
finnishing tracks you're bored of.
jetflag
PostPosted: 16 August 2010 - 15:11:19 (674)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

anyone else have like 100 unfinnished but really potential project files on there computer?

well i have.

how to finnish a track you are bored of making. sad smilie

jkl27
PostPosted: 16 August 2010 - 15:45:42 (698)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

grin2 haha..if you made half a track it would be very easy to finish it... because the rest part is almost the same . all you need is to make lead grin2

so your result is zer0

"Ohhh yeah, breakdown … at 3 minutes and 10 seconds" - Arnej
jetflag
PostPosted: 16 August 2010 - 15:52:21 (703)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

jkl27 wrote:
grin2 haha..if you made half a track it would be very easy to finish it... because the rest part is almost the same . all you need is to make lead grin2

so your result is zer0

if you're referring to half a track as fully ready buildup, break, hook. then yeah. its not that difficult anymore. however i'm referring more to projects that only have like an ambient interpretation of the main theme of the song.

neon chaser
PostPosted: 16 August 2010 - 16:38:52 (735)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

You have to get ruthless with yourself.

First I suggest doing a quick mixdown of all the tracks. This will take a bit of time but be methodical, working through each project and stick all those rough mixes in a folder. Then forget about it for as long as possible!

Go back to the folder in a few weeks/months and listen to each mp3. Try to distance yourself from the process of how you made them and the time it took. Be subjective. Ask yourself is the track really any good?

Any tracks that don't excite you immediately delete and likewise with their associated project files. You can always mixdown any good samples or parts and add them to your own library.

It's a hard thing to do when you've spent ages writing, programming etc but believe me you'll feel better and more focused knowing there isn't that mass of unfinished work sitting there.
NorthTribe
PostPosted: 16 August 2010 - 17:38:29 (776)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I have 100s of those unfinnished tracks from as long back as the 90s. Everything from just a simple melody with nothing else to almost complete tracks. It happends that I am going through my old unfinnished projects and suddenly get new inspiration and finnished it. It can be projects that are many years old. Ofcourse the result is so far from how you though of it back then but still it is finnished. happy

governor
PostPosted: 16 August 2010 - 19:58:27 (873)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Another thing u can do is... scroll through different projects, and maybe trying to merge them!!! that's how a couple of my tracks got finished!

http://www.orjannilsen.com/
governor boboingboing
Clubsizer
PostPosted: 16 August 2010 - 20:50:41 (910)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Guess what, I have! happy

Actually I was browsing through old project folders few days ago and bumped into a nice unfinished project that has a nice melody and ideas on it. I wasn´t very pleased with sounds and production quality so I exported melodies to midi-files and started the project from scratch. Now the project looks interesting again.

Clubsizer Matti|Deepwide
Idonotlikebroccoli
PostPosted: 16 August 2010 - 22:07:56 (963)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I just leave them the way they are, and appreciate them as the little clips they are. It makes for a more positive music production experience I think.

I've found that setting realistic daily goals helps a bit, such as "add fwoamp-bass and hoover to Project X", or "write down thoughts on how to make crowd keep hands in air", etc.

Recently, I've twisted the exported mp3s from unfinished projects, to make drum loops or other weird sounds to use in new songs. Recycling! happy

Idonotlikebroccoli "Sama" by Ishq: Maybe my new favourite album of 2010.
jetflag
PostPosted: 17 August 2010 - 01:13:19 (092)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

governor wrote:
Another thing u can do is... scroll through different projects, and maybe trying to merge them!!! that's how a couple of my tracks got finished!

tried that a few times actually, doenst work for me. I need a basic concept/idea/vision when making a track. I pick my sounds and create my melodies/presets on the hand of that vision. when combining tracks stuff usually sounds like total chaos with me..

SecondHand
PostPosted: 20 August 2010 - 03:51:55 (202)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I have mountains of those, and not one of them ever got finished! They're sitting around doing nothing, really. I rarely open them. However, there are a few which I intend going back to; though nothing is solid so far!
SecondHand is all out for the is
Voci
PostPosted: 24 August 2010 - 01:35:29 (107)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

neon chaser wrote:
You have to get ruthless with yourself.

First I suggest doing a quick mixdown of all the tracks. This will take a bit of time but be methodical, working through each project and stick all those rough mixes in a folder. Then forget about it for as long as possible!

Go back to the folder in a few weeks/months and listen to each mp3. Try to distance yourself from the process of how you made them and the time it took. Be subjective. Ask yourself is the track really any good?

Any tracks that don't excite you immediately delete and likewise with their associated project files. You can always mixdown any good samples or parts and add them to your own library.

It's a hard thing to do when you've spent ages writing, programming etc but believe me you'll feel better and more focused knowing there isn't that mass of unfinished work sitting there.

I really like this reply.

I have a good ammount of unfinished stuff too. 99% is garbage though, as I'm still in the learningprocess. So the older stuff is mostly in quite poor quality too.

Most of the times I make something and later I think its total crap, and then it stays there forever. I should just delete them. eureka! idea

autodial
PostPosted: 28 August 2010 - 07:21:24 (348)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

jetflag wrote:
anyone else have like 100 unfinnished but really potential project files on there computer?

well i have.

If you really want to finnish a track, the only real way to do it is to e-mail it to any place in Finland, where it will automatically become Finnish.

lol
autodial YOU DUN GOOF'D.
ConfuZion
PostPosted: 28 August 2010 - 11:16:04 (511)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

autodial wrote:
jetflag wrote:

well i have.

If you really want to finnish a track, the only real way to do it is to e-mail it to any place in Finland, where it will automatically become Finnish.

lol

up

PostPosted: 29 August 2010 - 20:05:39 (878)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

autodial wrote:
jetflag wrote:

well i have.

lol

hail, grammar nazi.

baby2020
PostPosted: 13 September 2010 - 20:42:41 (904)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

If You're Bored lyrics

don't mean to scare you but i've
i've not been sleeping lately
and phone calls aren't doing much to help
so if it's all the same i'd
just ask to never have to
offer explanation or excuse again