Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  Producing equipment  |   Page 1 of 1 | Jump To >> |
whats your favorite...
100F
PostPosted: 26 July 2010 - 21:09:18 (923)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

im in the process of improving my sound... and im in search for better options for lives built in plugins... (if there are any) so, im curious as to what are your favourite plugins for :

- Compressor
- Reverb
- Filters

it doesnt matter if they're freeware or not... as im looking for the best sound quality... and im willing to fork out if needed... as this is a mid term purpose and im going to get them one by one...

please feel free to post your entries for each of these... and give a small explanation for each...

my plan is to little by little achieve a more professional sound...

as i said... im looking for substitutes to lives built in plugins... so.... please keep that in mind... however if you consider live's effect to be the best sounding ones please explain why do you consider it as the best...

thank you so much for your help...
100F is sad!
100F
PostPosted: 26 July 2010 - 21:13:42 (926)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

in regards to reverb i am trying the demo from ik multimedia's CSR and i like it a lot... also im checking out bootsie's epic verb... they seem quite nice...

i have found that plate reverb is the most adecuate algorithm for the type of sound im trying to achieve...

so if you have other suggestions they're welcome grin2

thanks again..
100F is sad!
redsun
PostPosted: 27 July 2010 - 00:21:45 (056)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Compressor: Density mkII is good to glue busses, Blockfish is good to compress individual tracks, ReaComp is for sidechain
Reverb: Ambience is a nice reverb for main reverb, EpicVerb is nice too for main reverb, MVerb for individual tracks if needed
Filter: BootEQ mkII is a nice colouring eqsaturatorvintagetubebabyohhyeah,Pushtec 5+1A is a nice eq for corrections, ReaEQ is a graphichal multiband eq.

Last edited by redsun on 27 July 2010 - 00:55:08 (079); edited 1 time in total

100F
PostPosted: 27 July 2010 - 00:43:13 (071)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

redsun wrote:
Compressor: Density mkII, Blockfish, ReaComp
Reverb: Ambience, EpicVerb, MVerb
Filter: BootEQ mkII,Pushtec 5+1A, ReaEQ

thanks... would you mind elaborating on each one?
100F is sad!
andexxx
PostPosted: 26 August 2010 - 04:27:55 (227)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

imo a more pro sound comes from the art of knowing your progs/vstis or whatever you use and be able to TWEAK it to near perfection.

So? what is relevant here is that there are endless possibilities to that and so dont think that getting a high end reverb or anything will do magic of any kind.

But then again quality stuff is never to be denied...thats not my point.

i use reason only these days and that works for me. its like the effects are tailor made for the sounds the synths create. i have tried routing the synths to nuendo and use various verbs on them (eg the UAD ones)but it just dont sound quite right somehow.

final note on pro sounding mix is ofcourse how its mastered. that can and will make a huge impact on your final mix if done right.

PostPosted: 26 August 2010 - 05:36:16 (275)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

andexxx wrote:
final note on pro sounding mix is ofcourse how its mastered. that can and will make a huge impact on your final mix if done right.

If the mastered version sounds noticeably different to the final mixdown (apart from the raising of gain via a limiter), you need to keep working on your mixing skills. Mastering ideally won't change the sonic balance at all.
andexxx
PostPosted: 26 August 2010 - 05:52:34 (286)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

derail wrote:
andexxx wrote:

If the mastered version sounds noticeably different to the final mixdown (apart from the raising of gain via a limiter), you need to keep working on your mixing skills. Mastering ideally won't change the sonic balance at all.

well i think you are partly right and then again, not.

so my suggestion is that we meet in the octagon to fight it out! the winner will obviously decide what is right and what is wrong when it comes to manipulating the mix by way of mastering.

are you up for that?

wink

PostPosted: 26 August 2010 - 08:13:08 (384)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

andexxx wrote:

well i think you are partly right and then again, not.

so my suggestion is that we meet in the octagon to fight it out! the winner will obviously decide what is right and what is wrong when it comes to manipulating the mix by way of mastering.

are you up for that?

wink

Hmm..a fight in the Octagon, where I am undefeated...tempting...

But seriously, what can a mastering engineer do with a song that a mix engineer can't? They may have better speakers, they will have a subjective pair of ears, but there's no processing that they can apply which a mix engineer can't. If a mastering engineer can improve something sonically, it's because the mix engineer missed it, for whatever reason.