Users online: 0

Guests online: 175
Total online: 175
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  General Discussion  |   Page 3 of 5 | Jump To >> | Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Similarity of plucked melodies in trance music
jetflag
PostPosted: 21 July 2010 - 20:20:58 (889)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Voci wrote:
Well rythmic parts will always be similar to something else.

This note sequence isn't that unique, you can't say its someones style. There are more rythms that are used a lot, it only gets anoying when the synth sounds itself and the whole idea of the track are also copied.

Anjunabeats has the same synth sound all over the place. I guess they spread out the preset to their artists?

blame nexus

a98
PostPosted: 21 July 2010 - 20:40:57 (903)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

jetflag wrote:
a part of the reason that melodic theme's are recycled/slightly altered is due to the fact that experimenting in trance/ abstrahering melodies simply doesn't hit it with the larger crowd..

exactly!

it's the listeners who eat up this stuff and even encourage producers to keep doing the same things with their praising comments. a lot of people in the more mainstream oriented forums (and here aswell) are now laughing at this, but next week they'll go bananas on the exact same riff again when they hear it on tatw etc..

why would producers want to be original and experiment, when majority of listeners don't seems to care about them, and only want to hear the same generic stuff over and over again.

jetflag
PostPosted: 21 July 2010 - 20:58:22 (915)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

a98 wrote:
jetflag wrote:
a part of the reason that melodic theme's are recycled/slightly altered is due to the fact that experimenting in trance/ abstrahering melodies simply doesn't hit it with the larger crowd..

exactly!

it's the listeners who eat up this stuff and even encourage producers to keep doing the same things with their praising comments. a lot of people in the more mainstream oriented forums (and here aswell) are now laughing at this, but next week they'll go bananas on the exact same riff again when they hear it on tatw etc..

why would producers want to be original and experiment, when majority of listeners don't seems to care about them, and only want to hear the same generic stuff over and over again.

you hit the nail at the spot. I tried to create an "own sound album" back in 2007 with strictly no vec loops or nexus presets what so ever, and mainly unknown/self made samples/sounds. Although the album saw a release in 2008 and even did fairly ok in the sales, it turned oblivion simply because the kick-drum doenst sound asot and its thus not suitable for radio.

a solution to the problem would be to gather every producer who agrees that the cntrlC/cntrlV phenomenon is a problem, and start a new underground scene, which is something the original trance was formed in.

Idonotlikebroccoli
PostPosted: 22 July 2010 - 03:14:07 (176)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

a98 wrote:

I can't understand how making the same stuff over and over again is any fun. Same tempo, same structure, same sounds, etc. It seems like the guys would be literally terrified to put the bpm meter outside 125-140, or use anything but completely basic minor/major chords. How do they get to express themselves fully that way? I can understand pleasing the crowd is nice and all, but the creation process itself must be terribly boring?

Idonotlikebroccoli "Sama" by Ishq: Maybe my new favourite album of 2010.
GreenOctopus
PostPosted: 22 July 2010 - 03:18:16 (179)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Kind of blasts a gaping hole through the paper thin praise that trance is "all about melodies", doesn't it?

WebmaN
PostPosted: 22 July 2010 - 03:20:36 (180)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

GreenOctopus wrote:
Kind of blasts a gaping hole through the paper thin praise that trance is "all about melodies", doesn't it?

only people who know shit about trance would have such statements. since when is trance all about the melodies?

whining old men alliance we're all pro
WebmaN is
GreenOctopus
PostPosted: 22 July 2010 - 03:23:23 (182)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

WebmaN wrote:
GreenOctopus wrote:

only people who know shit about trance would have such statements. since when is trance all about the melodies?

Don't ask me. I don't subscribe to that view. I only hear that all the time though, from the same people who think that "pure" trance is only that which exceeds 138 BPM i.e. the kind of tracks this video exposes.

WebmaN
PostPosted: 22 July 2010 - 03:30:05 (187)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

GreenOctopus wrote:
WebmaN wrote:
GreenOctopus wrote:

Don't ask me. I don't subscribe to that view. I only hear that all the time though, from the same people who think that "pure" trance is only that which exceeds 138 BPM i.e. the kind of tracks this video exposes.

true, but i also hear the arguments that everything above 128bpm can't be called trance.. and everything before 2001 is videogame music or at least everything electronic, but NOT trance.

whining old men alliance we're all pro
WebmaN is
JOEBloe
PostPosted: 22 July 2010 - 05:38:20 (276)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Is it me or has the number of topics bashing the trance scene increased? We've got like 3 different topics. 2 topics bashing it and 1 topic trying to defend it but it "smells funny"

It's amazing that you people tend to bash trance music a lot you may as well say that trance is the worst musical genre in the world.

Just move onto something else, enjoy what you like FFS.

GreenOctopus wrote:

So what is it about you tell me?

a59
PostPosted: 22 July 2010 - 07:51:18 (368)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

The similarity in Trance goes beyond just plucks, it's a dirty business (Creativity wise), none of the current 'scene producers' deserve any respect, it's so sad to see how some people (mostly YT enthusiastic Trance fanatics that weep by the sound of a G or D minor then instantly give the track maker a God of trance status after the YT hype they rip off the track to their ipod head to their bed in black silk socks and pink undies listening to the new found gold and start seeing unicorns fly.) a lot of today's so called producers are over-appreciated some of them base their entire tracks on ripped and alternated chords/movie scores whatever pre-finished classic or not classic composition with a possibility of being manipulated, i'm not claiming to have inside sources but anyone slightly involved in the mighty production world of Trance can tell you the he knows a producer or 2 that shamelessly admit ripping off melodies from other tracks, off-scene productions or not it doesn't matter, it can be anything with the E factor involved, after all that's what trance used to be all about until they took over "How else you think i could come up with so many tunes" that's what i was told from a producer that debuts a 'hit' on ASOT at least once a month.
This has been said a billion times before, there's only a few amount of productions with some effort being put on the rest is garbage.
a59 is having a good day
K1aptcha
PostPosted: 22 July 2010 - 12:48:06 (575)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

JOEBloe wrote:
Is it me or has the number of topics bashing the trance scene increased? We've got like 3 different topics. 2 topics bashing it and 1 topic trying to defend it but it "smells funny"

It's amazing that you people tend to bash trance music a lot you may as well say that trance is the worst musical genre in the world.

This topic is not bashing trance, it is just saying the fact, that some (= not all) trance melodies sound the same and that some of the producers are limited in their creativity and originality - and that is good to know
jetflag
PostPosted: 22 July 2010 - 15:05:17 (670)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Another factor in the so called "drop of quality" might be the overspoiled ears of the listeners. Hence's the "elite" and "fanatics" heavily complaining about the current trance-scene.

With todays internet resources our daily trance-recepy has become a huge payload. We've all experienced an overkill in music so to speak, (so many tracks, so many more chance that you'll find a similairity) and now we're facing the cold turkey.

a solution would be to zoom in on a specific set of artist/music that do have (your standard of) quality, and forget about the rest.

I for one have stopped listening to ASOT for about 2 years now. Its really refreshing to just "stumble uppon" a nice tune, even though it might be a year old.

jetflag
PostPosted: 22 July 2010 - 15:10:00 (673)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

K1aptcha wrote:
JOEBloe wrote:

This topic is not bashing trance, it is just saying the fact, that some (= not all) trance melodies sound the same and that some of the producers are limited in their creativity and originality - and that is good to know

I agree with JOEbloe here. check the rest of trance.nu. there's a shitload of topics about "how trance has degraded".

thank you we know already. now what to do about it?

a98
PostPosted: 22 July 2010 - 15:29:02 (686)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:
a98 wrote:

I can't understand how making the same stuff over and over again is any fun. Same tempo, same structure, same sounds, etc.

It isn't. But for a lot of artists' the feedback and popularity in the scene has become the reward for the work. Some people just seem to want to please the fans. one good example of this is whenever a 'hit track' or style appears a lot of producers are jumping right on it.

Quote:
or use anything but completely basic minor/major chords.

To be fair, anjunabeats (which was heavily part of the video) style trance uses a lot of different chords, notably 7th chords. That's what gives them that flowing feel. Seventh chords are hardly any more original or complex than minor and majors though.

jetflag wrote:

a solution would be to zoom in on a specific set of artist/music that do have (your standard of) quality, and forget about the rest.

That's actually an interesting point. It's something that's happened in rock music, there's so much stuff available and so much similarities that people don't follow the genre anymore but individual artists. The big fans of bands like U2 probably own all their records and don't really listen to other bands even close to that amount. If you ask them what music do you listen to, their just respond "U2". When you ask a trance listener their just say 'uplifting trance' and list atleast 5-10 artists.

Trance and clubmusic in general have always been more about the individual songs and less about the artists. You could say people even follow labels more than individual artists.

Quethas
PostPosted: 22 July 2010 - 16:13:17 (717)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

jetflag wrote:
With todays internet resources our daily trance-recepy has become a huge payload. We've all experienced an overkill in music so to speak, (so many tracks, so many more chance that you'll find a similairity) and now we're facing the cold turkey.

That is true. Many of us suffers overdose of certain kind of tracks because that stuff is easily accessible and listenable. And it is also easier to release music than before when you don't need to buy hardware anymore and music is released more and more digitally. And this causes even more similar tracks to appear.

Solutions? If you like to search for music, none really. Even I still hear awful lot of those generic uplifting tracks even though I quit listening to ASOT & TATW regularly around 3,5 years ago. You can focus on certain artists (happened to me in some degree) or search for different kind of stuff too so you can hear variety in music.

-> Que's review topic <-
Quethas thinks that less is more