Users online: 0

Guests online: 213
Total online: 213
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  Trance.nu Feedback  |   Page 2 of 4 | Jump To >> | Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
What's so "illegal" about mix sets?!!!!
WebmaN
PostPosted: 18 July 2010 - 23:42:30 (029)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

uforic wrote:
But to answer the original question, when you publish a DJ mix on the Internet you are publishing copyrighted material (usually) without all the artists consent so it technically violates copyright laws.
This (i assume) is essentially where t.nu have based their rules on.

true, but they allow streaming, ergo soundcloud links shouldn't be deleted.

whining old men alliance we're all pro
WebmaN is
a98
PostPosted: 18 July 2010 - 23:54:55 (038)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

WebmaN wrote:
uforic wrote:
But to answer the original question, when you publish a DJ mix on the Internet you are publishing copyrighted material (usually) without all the artists consent so it technically violates copyright laws.

yep, but like i mentioned in my first post, that's in no means any more legal. it's just in their rules. i have ofcourse no statistic proof, but i would think that youtube, radioshows, podcasts and dj mixes have affected the edm sales more than the actual illegal downloading. there's tons and tons of people in youtube who get all their music there, they either record it from the page or just listen it there. aswell as there are people who never buy anything and never illegally download tracks, but listen to every big radioshow and download/record them afterwards. i even know people who refuse to buy tracks played on asot, since they feel the asot radio compressed rip sounds a lot better.

WebmaN
PostPosted: 19 July 2010 - 00:04:50 (045)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

a98 wrote:
WebmaN wrote:
uforic wrote:

yep, but like i mentioned in my first post, that's in no means any more legal. it's just in their rules. i have ofcourse no statistic proof, but i would think that youtube, radioshows, podcasts and dj mixes have affected the edm sales more than the actual illegal downloading. there's tons and tons of people in youtube who get all their music there, they either record it from the page or just listen it there. aswell as there are people who never buy anything and never illegally download tracks, but listen to every big radioshow and download/record them afterwards. i even know people who refuse to buy tracks played on asot, since they feel the asot radio compressed rip sounds a lot better.

i know this, but i only mentioned it because mossi linked to a soundcloud account in that thread. yet the link is deleted, i think this is strange.

WebmaN is
Lydhus
PostPosted: 19 July 2010 - 00:11:31 (049)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

uforic wrote:

Yup, thats correct.

but the question here is, where the hell have you been hiding all this years Wiggins?? Lost Cities back?? puh

Lydhus aka Sinfour | Issues | Pure Touch | White Penguin
tiLberede
PostPosted: 19 July 2010 - 01:04:42 (086)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Just put it up on Soundcloud without a download option, simple as that

PostPosted: 19 July 2010 - 01:09:47 (090)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Lydhus wrote:
uforic wrote:

Yup, thats correct.

but the question here is, where the hell have you been hiding all this years Wiggins?? Lost Cities back?? puh

Hello mate! Been out of the game for a while but trying to get back into the scene!

dancemania
PostPosted: 19 July 2010 - 02:23:29 (141)  Reply with quote
T.nu Staff

mossi wrote:
That just doesn't compute for me. I have paid for my tracks and my gear, and I put them together in a mix. What's so illegal about that???!!! I actually find it very offensive that someone comes and locks my topic with the reasoning "We don't allow ANY kind of illegal mp3 discussion". You guys do realize that there's nothing "illegal" about putting together mix sets right?

True, putting a mix together is not illegal, your topic did not got locked because of that and I never wrote that you aren't allowed to do this. But it's not allowed to offer it for download via Trance.nu. The rules are very clear about it, you broke them, so you got your topic locked and you got a warning for it, simple as that.

mossi wrote:
This is probably the ONLY forum on the Internet with this non-sense rule (and I frequent several legitimate music/DJ forums). I mean, you have a forum where people can post links to brand new tracks (Hot or Not), yet you don't allow mix sets?!

I assume you are talking about YouTube links here, since even in the Hot Or Not section, you will not find any download link to copyright protected material. If so, the links will be removed and the user will be warned.

mossi wrote:
I'm sorry but the fact that you don't allow user mixes to be posted on here when you have a "How do I DJ?" and a "Hot or Not" forum is as weird as an 80 year old granny becoming a DJ.

Once again, putting up links to downloadable mixes that contain copyright protected material is not allowed here at Trance.nu. I'm sure other forums have other rules, but you posted it at Trance.nu and since you use this website for free, you have to follow the rules here. Other forums might have different rules, but Trance.nu doesn't want to get into trouble for members who share copyright protected music for free, so we don't allow this. It's not like this is a new rule or so, it's been here at least since I joined this website back into 2001.

mossi wrote:
I don't want anyone to be offended here and you may have a reason for this weirdness, but I'd like to hear about it. I just thought you guys would know these things better considering that you run a music forum.

Sharing copyright protected music / software / games / movies is illegal in a lot of countries. So that's why Trance.nu doesn't allow this and it's been written in the forum rules for a long time already. We do not allow ANY links to downloadable copyright protected material.

Last edited by dancemania on 19 July 2010 - 02:31:12 (146); edited 1 time in total

Join the Ferry Corsten forum!!! : www.ferrycorsten.com/forum
dancemania Check http://www.twitter.com/TranceClassics for the best trance classics!
dancemania
PostPosted: 19 July 2010 - 02:26:29 (143)  Reply with quote
T.nu Staff

WebmaN wrote:
uforic wrote:

QWERTY. wrote:
mossi wrote:
QWERTY. wrote:
Try getting a soundcloud account and upload your mixes there to post on t.nu because I can't see this rule being removed anytime soon.

Well it was already on soundcloud to begin with happy

did you remove the download option?

WebmaN wrote:
i know this, but i only mentioned it because mossi linked to a soundcloud account in that thread. yet the link is deleted, i think this is strange.

It was a Soundcloud link indeed, but he offered the option to download the set, which makes it against the rules. People who signed up to this website in 2008 and have over 350 posts, should at least know about the forum rules.

FYI, we do NOT delete Soundcloud links to streaming sets, just check the forum, there are plenty of people here who just follow the rules and post their sets on Soundcloud, but they don't offer the download option.

dancemania Check http://www.twitter.com/TranceClassics for the best trance classics!
CADS
PostPosted: 19 July 2010 - 02:42:15 (154)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I have often posted up mixes to my sets via soundcloud but I PM'd Twan before I did to check if it was ok, as long as it didnt offer a download on the mix then he said it was was to post up so maybe try that??

Having said that some of the rules are abit bitchy BUT its there website and we must respect there rules happy

http://soundcloud.com/route-1

New Track, Check It Out: http://soundcloud.com/route-1/dany-oghia-epiphany-hazard-route-1-remix

New Mix: http://soundcloud.com/route-1/route1june2010mix
blackman3
PostPosted: 19 July 2010 - 02:42:58 (154)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

i think he doesnt allow dj mixes because if you can download it you can almost get the full song by chopping up the mix and making tracks cool

yeah i also think streaming is illegal
even thought we all do it

PostPosted: 19 July 2010 - 05:49:51 (284)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I think if I buy my music and mix it I should be allowed to share it with everyone! Kinda shitty that the "rules" say otherwise! Instead you can just pm it to friends here! No one can stop that! Send me your mix anytime mossi! ill send ya mine! And that goes for anyone here! It's all about the music and that's what we are all here for! Nuff respect to Trance.Nu! I respect the rules... Regardless of what I really think... wink Music makes us all happy so get it out there!

basilisk
PostPosted: 19 July 2010 - 10:06:51 (463)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

This policy is still in place? How arcane.

Sharing mixes is an accepted part of EDM culture. Do you see any big name artists or labels hounding after forum owners for facilitating the sharing of DJ mixes? With a track listing (so others can hunt down the tunes and purchase them) it's fair use, plain and simple.

You have to recognize that copyright law is supposed to strike a balance between private and public interest. It isn't simply a matter of protecting the rights of the copyright owners... and in any case, the vast majority of producers don't have any problem with sharing mixes. Then again, they might not have a choice--any producer who publicly stated they had a problem with DJs spinning their music might find their sales dwindle to almost nothing!

Anyhow, it's all academic. Who cares. The mods have a policy... so go elsewhere.
Hexfire
PostPosted: 19 July 2010 - 10:36:40 (483)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Archaic policy, which brings no benefits whatsoever to anyone, and brings a lot of inconvenience to just about everyone.

Who suffers:
- DJs (unable to promote themselves)
- Producers (unable to get promoted)
- Listeners (unable to discover new tracks)
- Moderators (who work hard on keeping it on top for nothing)

Who takes benefits:
- <no-one>

tiLberede wrote:
Just put it up on Soundcloud without a download option, simple as that

Can be easily downloaded by looking into page source.

Policy which is objectively baseless and utterly useless.

“Universal Assemblage Point”
Hexfire is invulnerable.
dancemania
PostPosted: 19 July 2010 - 12:03:52 (544)  Reply with quote
T.nu Staff

Once again, I'm sure other forums / websites have other rules, but if you are a member of Trance.nu and use this website, you have to follow the rules here, it's very simple. If you don't like the rules you can always go to another website, nobody is stopping you from doing that wink

In many countries it's still illegal to share copyright protected music for free. Trance.nu doesn't want to get into trouble because of its users putting up illegal content for free download. So that's why we have the rule that doesn't allow our users to link to copyright protected material. This rule is here for at least 9 years already, so I'm actually a bit surprised to see that some people seem to make such a big issue out of it now all of a sudden while they are a member here for a long time already.

I think if you are using a website such as Trance.nu for free, you should respect the rules as well. So linking to downloadable copyright protected material is forbidden. And as mentioned before, streaming is allowed, so Soundcloud links without download option and YouTube links are allowed.

BTW, they are not my rules, I am just a moderator here, so don't shoot the messenger wink I just hope this clears some things up, we're not giving warnings for fun of course.

WebmaN
PostPosted: 19 July 2010 - 13:03:23 (585)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

dancemania wrote:

It was a Soundcloud link indeed, but he offered the option to download the set, which makes it against the rules. People who signed up to this website in 2008 and have over 350 posts, should at least know about the forum rules.

FYI, we do NOT delete Soundcloud links to streaming sets, just check the forum, there are plenty of people here who just follow the rules and post their sets on Soundcloud, but they don't offer the download option.

i'm not sure if you're fully directing at me, but i know this ofcourse. only thing i didn't know was that mossi's account contained a download link. i couldn't know that, because the link was allready deleted happy.

how weird and badly argumented the rules may be, i guess we as members have to be glad that streaming is allowed. t.nu still makes it possible to share new music, that you might not have heard before.

WebmaN is