Notification

Latest Topics
<  Producing equipment  |   Page 1 of 1 | Jump To >> |
Ableton Live and its synths
d4chris
PostPosted: 18 May 2010 - 17:51:37 (785)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Hi guys,

I'm just starting to learn all about producing and stuff, and I think I already made a good progress.

All that I own so far is the Ableton Live Suite 8 and you probably know that its got only 2 synths that I feel can actually be used in electronic music (except for soundeffects and stuff, but I rather mean the basic stuff: Basslines, pads, leads and stabs):
Analog and Operator.
So this is all I used so far and while I did one or another tutorial I kinda felt lost because I didn't get the sound I wanted, like the guy in the vid did with his ... (place famous commercial synth here)

Now my questions: Do you think those 2 are good enough to simply rely on them or should I rather look out for another one?

I thought of buying either Sylenth1 or Vanguard, I"m not really a fan of just using samples like Nexus does
Synergize
PostPosted: 18 May 2010 - 18:30:19 (812)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

go with Sylenth1

while vanguard has its uses, the other is far more powerful and doesnt leave a metallic sound to most of the sounds.

Lydhus
PostPosted: 18 May 2010 - 20:49:54 (909)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

here is a tip that could sound stupid, but thrust me on it:
A few or lesser synths you have, more creative you will become, and in the end, a whole lot better producer.

Lydhus aka Sinfour | Issues | Pure Touch | White Penguin
Alx_losy
PostPosted: 19 May 2010 - 16:26:41 (726)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Lydhus wrote:
here is a tip that could sound stupid, but thrust me on it:
A few or lesser synths you have, more creative you will become, and in the end, a whole lot better producer.

In the beginning, I fully agree.
Alx_losy If the cat is out of the bag, what can you do?!
d4chris
PostPosted: 20 May 2010 - 03:48:47 (200)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Thanks so far, maybe you can help me with this follow up question:

How do I know which synth is better for a special sound. Lets say I'm looking for a stabsound and now I have to choose between my synths. Is it try and error? Is it just experience or is there a trick behind it like "that type of synth usually (I think that word is pretty important here wink) is better for that case"
derail
PostPosted: 24 May 2010 - 14:12:07 (633)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

d4chris wrote:
Thanks so far, maybe you can help me with this follow up question:

How do I know which synth is better for a special sound. Lets say I'm looking for a stabsound and now I have to choose between my synths. Is it try and error? Is it just experience or is there a trick behind it like "that type of synth usually (I think that word is pretty important here wink) is better for that case"

It depends. Each synth has a certain sound to it, and some synths will be better for certain sounds than others.

However, for some sounds you can try a few different synths, and the sounds will simply be different - not better or worse. Which synth is better or worse for you at that point in time is totally dependent on the other sounds you're using in the song you're working on. Sounds work in the context of a mix, not in isolation. Spend some time with your synths, put sounds together, and you'll get better at it, you'll get a feel for which synth to turn to for a particular sound.

Which may be a completely different synth than some other producer may use - we all make different music (hopefully!)
STi_NJ
PostPosted: 08 September 2010 - 01:21:23 (098)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I'd definitely recommend picking up a 3rd party synth. Personally, I'd say go with Sylenth1. It's amazing actually. One of the few vst's I've actually had that ranks right up there with my Virus TI. There's nothing wrong with Vanguard either. Personally, I'd say you should go ahead and download the demos and see what sound suits your style.

Someone else mentioned less is better. I tend to agree with this. That way it kind of forces you to learn your synth inside out. You'll get much more out of it happy