Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  This makes me mad!  |   Page 1 of 1 | Jump To >> |
Customer Service
RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 18 April 2010 - 22:34:10 (982)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Usually I am incredibly (and often unfairly) tough on customer service personnel in places like restaurants, supermarkets, and special events like theatre, sports, or movies. However there is one place that I don't want to receive any kind of help at all: The department store. This morning I was at the local Paris scouting out a new pair of sneakers for myself and a few items for my soon to be daughter. I was accosted by at least four separate "customer service representatives" in the span of about 15 minutes. They asked if I needed any help, if I was finding everything OK, if I had any questions; while still another was interested in idle small talk about where I'm from and how I'm liking Chile. Now, when you're sitting on the other end of a computer screen reading that sentence, it probably doesn't seem as if there is any reason to file this under "This Makes Me Mad", but when I'm out on a Sunday morning browsing the racks of the local department store, I'm not in the mood for petty banter and mediocre fake smiles exchanged across the earthquake cracked faux-marble floor.

Department stores should adopt a policy similar to the Carmax or Saturn brand automobile dealerships: "Holler if you need anything." That way I am free to shop the wares of an establishment without having to paint on a smile and feign sociability when I really just want to complete my purchase and be left alone. If I do have a question, concern, or otherwise require the services of a professional, then I of course want that person to be available, so long as they wait for me to approach them and not the other way around. It would really only help the store as well. I would be more likely to patronize a store that respected my desire to shop in peace and they would save plenty of resources themselves in not having to pay so many employees and with less employees their managers would no doubt have less headaches, giving them a more lucid upper level staff. I really wouldn't even be opposed to replacing these annoying slices of proletariat with robots or some kind of an automated customer support system.

I didn't end up buying anything at Paris. I took my business to the other side of Avenida Providencia to a higher end house called Falabella, where the staff stands like mannequins with all their weight on one foot; constantly slinging sidelong glances in your direction as if you were going to steal something. Generally dressed from head to toe entirely in black, they silently declare themselves too good for the likes of you while they attempt to look busy so you won't approach them. Through their lying gestures and skin level mistrust, they create the exact kind of atmosphere that I want when I enter a clothing boutique. It's the real world: Pay me and get out. thumbsup
RichardClairemont Adios amigos
FunkyGunther
PostPosted: 18 April 2010 - 22:42:47 (988)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I know a lot of Euros who wished they were treated the way you were in your first shop. A case of too much of a good thing?

RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 18 April 2010 - 22:51:17 (993)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

FunkyGunther wrote:
I know a lot of Euros who wished they were treated the way you were in your first shop. A case of too much of a good thing?

Maybe...but in Chile the service is absolutely abysmal everyplace else...go to a restaurant and you'll sit down at the table and 30 minutes will go by before anybody asks what you'd like to drink. Go to a play and order a sandwich during intermission and you'll be taking your first bite when the curtain opens on the second act. Go to a supermarket and you'll be waiting in line for ten minutes and the cashier will decide it's time for break and you'll be sent to the back of the next one. But go to a department store, ironically the place where customer service is least needed, and you can't be left alone...they're not even paid on commission either, so i don't see what the great big sweat to help you out is for.
RichardClairemont Adios amigos
WebmaN
PostPosted: 18 April 2010 - 23:33:16 (023)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

when i go to an electronics shop like mediamarkt and only want to browse the shelves, i get attacked by the shop personnel. BUT when i actually want their help to give me so called advice or help me with my purchase, NO ONE is available. that makes me mad.

whining old men alliance we're all pro
WebmaN is
OneManBand
PostPosted: 18 April 2010 - 23:54:11 (037)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I know what you mean. Personnally, I really don't like people hanging around my back as I'm scouting around the shop. I like to take my own time and look around. If I wan't help, I ask.

You mention the restaurant and lack of service. Well, there's also the kind where you haven't even had the time to taste your food before the waitress comes and ask "how is it?"... makes you want to answer "How the fuck could I know?" grin

Last edited by OneManBand on 19 April 2010 - 00:30:21 (062); edited 1 time in total

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=113103&displ_lang=en
OneManBand has no status
FunkyGunther
PostPosted: 19 April 2010 - 00:29:35 (062)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

OneManBand wrote:
makes you want to answer "How to fuck could I know?" grin

That sort of question could get you arrested

OneManBand
PostPosted: 19 April 2010 - 00:31:05 (063)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

FunkyGunther wrote:
That sort of question could get you arrested

Luckily not in this country.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=113103&displ_lang=en
OneManBand has no status
Macker
PostPosted: 19 April 2010 - 01:18:21 (096)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I hate pretentious waiting staff at restaurants; unfolding a napkin and placing it on my lap for me? Jog on, i'm not a fucking retard. Constantly approaching the table to ask if my meal is okay? Fuck off and let me eat it and I'll sure as hell get back to you if it isn't.

Intel Q6600 | 4GB Crucial Balistix RAM | Nvidia XFX GeForce 8800 GTS | 1TB+ Storage | MOTU 828MKII | Presonus Tube Pre | Rode NT1a | SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 | Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 | Novation KS Rack | Cubase 5 | Reason 3
Macker Goodbye trance.nu. You shall be missed
jetflag
PostPosted: 14 July 2010 - 14:20:51 (639)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Macker wrote:
I hate pretentious waiting staff at restaurants; unfolding a napkin and placing it on my lap for me? Jog on, i'm not a fucking retard. Constantly approaching the table to ask if my meal is okay? Fuck off and let me eat it and I'll sure as hell get back to you if it isn't.

Its there excuse for asking more money then the food is worth. "yes i know Sir, but you are paying for the service as well"

So basically, they're forcing you to buy a side product you never even wanted.

^
one of the main reasons i prefer a good kebab-house over a 5 star restaurant anytime.

skylite
PostPosted: 14 July 2010 - 23:47:08 (032)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I remember once, I went in to a Buckle and I was looking at different shirts (you have to unfold them to see everything on it...) And this ugly girl that was employed there was tailing me like a predator refolding everything that I touched. Im talking about the instant I put the item down she was already grabbing it.

I understand she is doing her job, but give me some damn space! She doesnt need to be 6 inches away from me grabbing shit as soon as I put it down.

She wasnt trying to help me with fashon advice, like I even need it, she was just there to be a bitch like she was pissed she has to fold clothes or something.