Users online: 0

Guests online: 71
Total online: 71
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I dj?  |   Page 2 of 3 | Jump To >> | Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Being a DJ
YonnyCage
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 18:33:12 (814)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

desdel wrote:
YonnyCage wrote:
^My life as a dj is not nearly as interesting as jezpers. I play at private parties and sometimes at some pub. I get to the club by metro, and nobody waits to have a chat with me next to the booth sad smilie

See the thing it always depends on how you feel about it - I was really trying to pump some inspiration into that post up there.

Because it might help you enjoy your job better, I'll tell you this: My current job involves taking out trash at a movie theatre, thats one of the worst parts but I'm still happy when I do it* and not ashamed or anything that I am taking out trash several nights a week*. People create a lot of fucking garbage though I'll tell you that.

*In both instances it's because I essentially get paid to talk to people all day long at my work, including some very hot girls.

I know what u mean, i have the same philosophy, ive already decided long ago that im the next Ricardo Villalobos. Just have to prove it to everybody else cool

neon chaser
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 18:36:43 (817)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Jezper explains it perfectly.

The only variations are the quality of hotels and flights. Some hotels I get put in are pretty standard with no room service or minibars which is a pain especially after a longhaul flight. I always make a point of buying water and something to snack on when I get to the destination airport because the last thing you want when you're tired and dehydrated is to go walkabout in a strange city. I prefer to just shower and sleep but thats not always possible.

Like Jezper, I leave the arrangements to my agent. He sorts out everything and its much easier for me to concentrate on the job though on several occasions things have gone wrong like being stuck in airports for many hours because of delayed flights and sometimes no one being there to meet you when you land.

At most events you're in and out in 24 hours but on the longhaul ones like Asia, Oz or the US I try to get out there a day or 2 early to acclimatise and get some rest.

Like every job being a DJ has its highs and lows but its great being paid to do something you love and to go to places you might never get to see. It's rare that I ever get time to explore anywhere but I always try to sample the local food if nothing else.

On the downside things can and do go wrong. It's no fun being stuck in airports for hours every week and it can be quite lonely. It's great meeting new people but not everyone is nice and welcoming. I had one guy try to attack me for refusing to come to his after party and on several occasions I've been left high and dry by promoters who have disappeared leaving me with no fee and no transport back to the airport or hotel.

Some promoters are also downright dishonest. I've had a few bookings where I was booked to play a certain size event and we charged a fee proportionate to the estimated attendance but when I arrived it was something far bigger that we would obviously have charged more for. I tend not to get into arguments directly with promoters but I try to keep in touch with my agent before, during and after a gig so he can sort out any problems.

Anyone who gets the chance to do this job is very lucky. Yes it's hard and tireing but it's also the most rewarding privilege you can imagine.
MissChic
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 19:08:25 (839)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

YonnyCage wrote:
^My life as a dj is not nearly as interesting as jezpers. I play at private parties and sometimes at some pub. I get to the club by metro, and nobody waits to have a chat with me next to the booth sad smilie

Aww, I'll be your groupie when I head to Spain in January! puh lol

PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 19:47:54 (866)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Im looking forward to that wink

MissChic
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 22:36:45 (983)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

YonnyCage wrote:
Im looking forward to that wink

hahaha!! Nice!! wink

PostPosted: 30 June 2009 - 07:18:54 (346)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Interesting to hear what Jezper has to say. Kinda funny cause I was watching this vid just recently. Airbase in Australia:

Youtube link

www.twitter.com/djarmand_tidy
carpanafilms ....large!
pagaille21
PostPosted: 30 June 2009 - 08:27:10 (393)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

carpanafilms wrote:
Interesting to hear what Jezper has to say. Kinda funny cause I was watching this vid just recently. Airbase in Australia:

Youtube link

hahaha i think u can see me and my gf in that video

pagaille21 is back in the country
querenboli
PostPosted: 30 June 2009 - 20:21:49 (890)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Jezper wrote:
QTXBB wrote:
Can you describe your life as a DJ?
how it feels to dj everyday....
task to do.....
work to do...
every little detail would be appreciated...

thanks

Once every 10 days I go thru the promos being sent to me. From about 30-40 promos, I keep about 6-7 good tracks for my radio show and about 2-3 of them goes in the bag.

A few weeks before a gig, your manager makes sure you have everything you need for your trip. He makes sure I have phone numbers to the people in charge, he makes sure I get my airline tickets and a hotel booking. He also makes sure there will be people picking me up at the airport. Basically, he double checks so everything is ready.

You go to your airport, check in and fly to your destination. You get very tired of flying and you hate airports and you try to make long transfers pass as quickly as possible. Bringing a computer is essential. Using beers to make time pass works in the beginning, but in the end, you get tired of having airport beer all by yourself. Music and books keeps you occupied.

When you arrive at your destination, you need to find the guy who's supposed to pick you up, or he'll find you first. Sometimes there's a taxi driver or limo driver there to pick you up. They always have your name incorrectly spelled on their little bit of plastic.

Depending on what time you arrive, they almost always take you to your hotel so you can drop your things of and relax if you want to. Some promoters likes to take the DJs out for some dinner before the gigs, so they pick you up for that a bit later.

You eat and chat and have a few drinks. Then they bring you back to the hotel so you can freshen up for your gig. If you play late at the party, they just arrange to come at a later time to pick you up, like an hour before your gig or so. If you're in a good party mood or so, you might wanna go there a bit early to feel the vibe of the place and have a few drinks. But while at the hotel, I sometimes try to get some sleep to be on top of my game, and if there's internet access at the hotel, I might also check some last minute promos to see if there's any gem to be recorded onto a cd for the evening.

You then go to the club, talk to some brave and/or drunk fans and friends (if you know people there). You try to check the crowd, see what goes down well and not. Around this time I start to decide what track to start off with. I never decide on a certain playlist, only what track to begin with. The rest I pick as I go depending on how the crowd reacts.

Most DJ booths these days are very nicely built, but for someone like me, 190 cm long, the decks are sometimes placed to low, which makes my back hurting really bad. But you suffer thru it, play your tunes, do your best not to screw up, and makes sure the people are having a good time.

After the set, there's always people waiting at the side of the stage, people who wanna have a little chat. Some people bring with them records for me to sign, so I try to always keep a pen with me.

After that, depending on when your plane leaves the next day and what type of mood you're in, you might decide to stay around for a while to have a few drinks and chat about music with fans, friend and other DJs. You meet a lot of other DJs in this profession, so you get to know them. And most parties have multiple DJs booked, so the odds are you know atleast one of them, so you might end up having a beer or two with them.

When you want to leave, you ask the promoter to take you back to the hotel. You go there, and I always shower before going to bed. And the next day, they pick you up, you go to the airport and go home.

There you have a typical gig, for me at least.

// Jezper

cool stuff

GDJB Chair Dancers Alliance
querenboli Ready for Electric Zoo!!!!!
alpha_q21
PostPosted: 02 July 2009 - 11:10:40 (507)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Gangstarr, MC Lyte, Eric B.& Rakim, Common, Talib Kweli, Slum Village, Will I AM, Timberland, Kanye West, Tribe Called Quest, EPMD, KRS-1, B.U.M.S., Dilated Peoples, 13, Ahmad Jamal, Special ED, Big L, K-Solo, GhostFace Killah, Wu-Tang, Mix Master Spades, NWA, Dr Dre, Snoop,Ice Cube, WC&The Madd Circle, Pharcyde, Alkaholiks,Jay Z, MobbDeep. Caron Wheeler,N'dea Davenport, Faith Evans, The Clark Sisters, Sandra Graham (my mom can SANG), Hawkins Family, Jill Scott, Lil' Mo, Beyonce, Loleeta Halloway, Sara Devine, Michelle Weeks, Terese Jenee, Barbara Tucker, Thelma Houston, India and other ladies that can kill it! House Music Producers: Kerri Chandler, William "ReelSoul" Rodriguez, Louie Vega, Kenny Dope, Frankie Feliciano, Karizma, Frank Roger, Quentin Harris, Cajmere, Osunlande, Mood II Swing, Bugz N the Attic, Alix Alvarez, Mr V, Basement Boys, Mark Grant, MK, Benji Candelario (please spell check that), Grant Nelson, Blaze, Joey Negro, Mental Instrum, DJ Disciple, Timmy Regisford, to name a few.

QTXBB
PostPosted: 07 July 2009 - 08:49:00 (409)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Jezper wrote:
QTXBB wrote:
Can you describe your life as a DJ?
how it feels to dj everyday....
task to do.....
work to do...
every little detail would be appreciated...

thanks

Once every 10 days I go thru the promos being sent to me. From about 30-40 promos, I keep about 6-7 good tracks for my radio show and about 2-3 of them goes in the bag.

A few weeks before a gig, your manager makes sure you have everything you need for your trip. He makes sure I have phone numbers to the people in charge, he makes sure I get my airline tickets and a hotel booking. He also makes sure there will be people picking me up at the airport. Basically, he double checks so everything is ready.

You go to your airport, check in and fly to your destination. You get very tired of flying and you hate airports and you try to make long transfers pass as quickly as possible. Bringing a computer is essential. Using beers to make time pass works in the beginning, but in the end, you get tired of having airport beer all by yourself. Music and books keeps you occupied.

When you arrive at your destination, you need to find the guy who's supposed to pick you up, or he'll find you first. Sometimes there's a taxi driver or limo driver there to pick you up. They always have your name incorrectly spelled on their little bit of plastic.

Depending on what time you arrive, they almost always take you to your hotel so you can drop your things of and relax if you want to. Some promoters likes to take the DJs out for some dinner before the gigs, so they pick you up for that a bit later.

You eat and chat and have a few drinks. Then they bring you back to the hotel so you can freshen up for your gig. If you play late at the party, they just arrange to come at a later time to pick you up, like an hour before your gig or so. If you're in a good party mood or so, you might wanna go there a bit early to feel the vibe of the place and have a few drinks. But while at the hotel, I sometimes try to get some sleep to be on top of my game, and if there's internet access at the hotel, I might also check some last minute promos to see if there's any gem to be recorded onto a cd for the evening.

You then go to the club, talk to some brave and/or drunk fans and friends (if you know people there). You try to check the crowd, see what goes down well and not. Around this time I start to decide what track to start off with. I never decide on a certain playlist, only what track to begin with. The rest I pick as I go depending on how the crowd reacts.

Most DJ booths these days are very nicely built, but for someone like me, 190 cm long, the decks are sometimes placed to low, which makes my back hurting really bad. But you suffer thru it, play your tunes, do your best not to screw up, and makes sure the people are having a good time.

After the set, there's always people waiting at the side of the stage, people who wanna have a little chat. Some people bring with them records for me to sign, so I try to always keep a pen with me.

After that, depending on when your plane leaves the next day and what type of mood you're in, you might decide to stay around for a while to have a few drinks and chat about music with fans, friend and other DJs. You meet a lot of other DJs in this profession, so you get to know them. And most parties have multiple DJs booked, so the odds are you know atleast one of them, so you might end up having a beer or two with them.

When you want to leave, you ask the promoter to take you back to the hotel. You go there, and I always shower before going to bed. And the next day, they pick you up, you go to the airport and go home.

There you have a typical gig, for me at least.

// Jezper

Thanks, you have made dj's job look so beautiful
QTXBB
PostPosted: 07 July 2009 - 13:41:10 (611)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Listen, what jobs out there are suitable in the process/prior of becoming a DJ to support yourself?
like the record shop? ????
HUH?
tiLberede
PostPosted: 25 August 2009 - 01:02:34 (085)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

tizvanbuuren wrote:
mRshadoe wrote:
typical gig for me involves massive amounts of european women who just cant keep their hormones in check...and me eventually just having to leave the club because there is just a big riot because people can't get enough of me. blahblah
armin is that you?

maybe wink
tiLberede R.I.P. the only thing I care for on the internet :(
Igneous01
PostPosted: 09 September 2009 - 11:58:12 (540)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

alpha_q21 wrote:
Gangstarr, MC Lyte, Eric B.& Rakim, Common, Talib Kweli, Slum Village, Will I AM, Timberland, Kanye West, Tribe Called Quest, EPMD, KRS-1, B.U.M.S., Dilated Peoples, 13, Ahmad Jamal, Special ED, Big L, K-Solo, GhostFace Killah, Wu-Tang, Mix Master Spades, NWA, Dr Dre, Snoop,Ice Cube, WC&The Madd Circle, Pharcyde, Alkaholiks,Jay Z, MobbDeep. Caron Wheeler,N'dea Davenport, Faith Evans, The Clark Sisters, Sandra Graham (my mom can SANG), Hawkins Family, Jill Scott, Lil' Mo, Beyonce, Loleeta Halloway, Sara Devine, Michelle Weeks, Terese Jenee, Barbara Tucker, Thelma Houston, India and other ladies that can kill it! House Music Producers: Kerri Chandler, William "ReelSoul" Rodriguez, Louie Vega, Kenny Dope, Frankie Feliciano, Karizma, Frank Roger, Quentin Harris, Cajmere, Osunlande, Mood II Swing, Bugz N the Attic, Alix Alvarez, Mr V, Basement Boys, Mark Grant, MK, Benji Candelario (please spell check that), Grant Nelson, Blaze, Joey Negro, Mental Instrum, DJ Disciple, Timmy Regisford, to name a few.

what does that have to do with the topic??

btw these are the wrong forums to be mentioning those artists
Igneous01 trance is alot like soccer.... greatness only happens once every 4 years...96-00-04-08
TiestoCorsten
PostPosted: 17 April 2010 - 13:25:00 (600)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I spin at a local club in Tennessee from Thursday-Saturday. DJing includes, but not limited to:

-Center of attention
-Control of the night
-People requesting off the wall songs
-People asking, "are you going to play something I can dance to?"
-Clothes/hair/gear drenched in smoke
-Free drinks (yes, I drink while DJing and have no problem)
-Drunk girls "requesting" a song, but in reality just wanting to get your attention for further interaction
-and much more

I sound bitter for the most part, only because I'm spinning music that I do not want to spin. Unfortunately trance doesn't sell around here, and spinning top 40 is my only option if I want a job DJing. From the sidelines it looks like fun being a DJ, but when the smoke clears it's very tiring. I spin into the late hours and by the time I get home and get to bed, it's about 6 AM.

Sure, it's fun for the most part, but every night is a party, whether you're in the mood for it or not.
Vexed
PostPosted: 19 April 2010 - 21:51:49 (952)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

TiestoCorsten wrote:

I sound bitter for the most part, only because I'm spinning music that I do not want to spin. Unfortunately trance doesn't sell around here, and spinning top 40 is my only option if I want a job DJing. From the sidelines it looks like fun being a DJ, but when the smoke clears it's very tiring. I spin into the late hours and by the time I get home and get to bed, it's about 6 AM.

Sure, it's fun for the most part, but every night is a party, whether you're in the mood for it or not.

That is a bit depresing but sounds about right from the friends i hav who dj. Where I come from where theres also not many good trance nights. shame.