Being a DJ
QTXBB
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 09:36:20 (441)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Can you describe your life as a DJ?
how it feels to dj everyday....
task to do.....
work to do...
every little detail would be appreciated...

thanks
DJ_NARF
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 09:43:03 (446)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I would imagine a DJ living in a non-stop party mentality / environment
DJ_NARF oh hai there
carpanafilms
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 09:57:56 (456)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I dunno about other people here, but I spend a lot of my time noodling around on T.nu, and spending all my money on beatport. Then you get gigs on the weekend where you get to put all those newly bought tunes to work. I will say I have been lucky with playing with the free tunes that users post here to get promo.

www.twitter.com/djarmand_tidy
carpanafilms ....large!
Jezper
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 11:15:51 (511)  Reply with quote
Trance.nu Retired Mascot

QTXBB wrote:
task to do.....
work to do...

thanks

Once every 10 days I go thru the promos being sent to me. From about 30-40 promos, I keep about 6-7 good tracks for my radio show and about 2-3 of them goes in the bag.

A few weeks before a gig, your manager makes sure you have everything you need for your trip. He makes sure I have phone numbers to the people in charge, he makes sure I get my airline tickets and a hotel booking. He also makes sure there will be people picking me up at the airport. Basically, he double checks so everything is ready.

You go to your airport, check in and fly to your destination. You get very tired of flying and you hate airports and you try to make long transfers pass as quickly as possible. Bringing a computer is essential. Using beers to make time pass works in the beginning, but in the end, you get tired of having airport beer all by yourself. Music and books keeps you occupied.

When you arrive at your destination, you need to find the guy who's supposed to pick you up, or he'll find you first. Sometimes there's a taxi driver or limo driver there to pick you up. They always have your name incorrectly spelled on their little bit of plastic.

Depending on what time you arrive, they almost always take you to your hotel so you can drop your things of and relax if you want to. Some promoters likes to take the DJs out for some dinner before the gigs, so they pick you up for that a bit later.

You eat and chat and have a few drinks. Then they bring you back to the hotel so you can freshen up for your gig. If you play late at the party, they just arrange to come at a later time to pick you up, like an hour before your gig or so. If you're in a good party mood or so, you might wanna go there a bit early to feel the vibe of the place and have a few drinks. But while at the hotel, I sometimes try to get some sleep to be on top of my game, and if there's internet access at the hotel, I might also check some last minute promos to see if there's any gem to be recorded onto a cd for the evening.

You then go to the club, talk to some brave and/or drunk fans and friends (if you know people there). You try to check the crowd, see what goes down well and not. Around this time I start to decide what track to start off with. I never decide on a certain playlist, only what track to begin with. The rest I pick as I go depending on how the crowd reacts.

Most DJ booths these days are very nicely built, but for someone like me, 190 cm long, the decks are sometimes placed to low, which makes my back hurting really bad. But you suffer thru it, play your tunes, do your best not to screw up, and makes sure the people are having a good time.

After the set, there's always people waiting at the side of the stage, people who wanna have a little chat. Some people bring with them records for me to sign, so I try to always keep a pen with me.

After that, depending on when your plane leaves the next day and what type of mood you're in, you might decide to stay around for a while to have a few drinks and chat about music with fans, friend and other DJs. You meet a lot of other DJs in this profession, so you get to know them. And most parties have multiple DJs booked, so the odds are you know atleast one of them, so you might end up having a beer or two with them.

When you want to leave, you ask the promoter to take you back to the hotel. You go there, and I always shower before going to bed. And the next day, they pick you up, you go to the airport and go home.

There you have a typical gig, for me at least.

// Jezper
Jezper & Tommie just launched a swedish tech podcast. Check it out: http://www.slashat.se
imtryinmybest
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 12:46:59 (574)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

yup - so true happy

tiLberede
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 13:27:50 (602)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

typical gig for me involves massive amounts of european women who just cant keep their hormones in check...and me eventually just having to leave the club because there is just a big riot because people can't get enough of me. blahblah
tiLberede R.I.P. the only thing I care for on the internet :(
tizvanbuuren
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 16:10:37 (715)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Jezper wrote:
QTXBB wrote:
task to do.....
work to do...

thanks

Once every 10 days I go thru the promos being sent to me. From about 30-40 promos, I keep about 6-7 good tracks for my radio show and about 2-3 of them goes in the bag.

A few weeks before a gig, your manager makes sure you have everything you need for your trip. He makes sure I have phone numbers to the people in charge, he makes sure I get my airline tickets and a hotel booking. He also makes sure there will be people picking me up at the airport. Basically, he double checks so everything is ready.

You go to your airport, check in and fly to your destination. You get very tired of flying and you hate airports and you try to make long transfers pass as quickly as possible. Bringing a computer is essential. Using beers to make time pass works in the beginning, but in the end, you get tired of having airport beer all by yourself. Music and books keeps you occupied.

When you arrive at your destination, you need to find the guy who's supposed to pick you up, or he'll find you first. Sometimes there's a taxi driver or limo driver there to pick you up. They always have your name incorrectly spelled on their little bit of plastic.

Depending on what time you arrive, they almost always take you to your hotel so you can drop your things of and relax if you want to. Some promoters likes to take the DJs out for some dinner before the gigs, so they pick you up for that a bit later.

You eat and chat and have a few drinks. Then they bring you back to the hotel so you can freshen up for your gig. If you play late at the party, they just arrange to come at a later time to pick you up, like an hour before your gig or so. If you're in a good party mood or so, you might wanna go there a bit early to feel the vibe of the place and have a few drinks. But while at the hotel, I sometimes try to get some sleep to be on top of my game, and if there's internet access at the hotel, I might also check some last minute promos to see if there's any gem to be recorded onto a cd for the evening.

You then go to the club, talk to some brave and/or drunk fans and friends (if you know people there). You try to check the crowd, see what goes down well and not. Around this time I start to decide what track to start off with. I never decide on a certain playlist, only what track to begin with. The rest I pick as I go depending on how the crowd reacts.

Most DJ booths these days are very nicely built, but for someone like me, 190 cm long, the decks are sometimes placed to low, which makes my back hurting really bad. But you suffer thru it, play your tunes, do your best not to screw up, and makes sure the people are having a good time.

After the set, there's always people waiting at the side of the stage, people who wanna have a little chat. Some people bring with them records for me to sign, so I try to always keep a pen with me.

After that, depending on when your plane leaves the next day and what type of mood you're in, you might decide to stay around for a while to have a few drinks and chat about music with fans, friend and other DJs. You meet a lot of other DJs in this profession, so you get to know them. And most parties have multiple DJs booked, so the odds are you know atleast one of them, so you might end up having a beer or two with them.

When you want to leave, you ask the promoter to take you back to the hotel. You go there, and I always shower before going to bed. And the next day, they pick you up, you go to the airport and go home.

// Jezper
awesome

PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 16:35:39 (733)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Jezper wrote:
QTXBB wrote:
task to do.....
work to do...

thanks

// Jezper

this post confirms it, this is the one thing above all others i want to pursue in life

thanks for posting dude.

If there are any other DJs out there reading this, whether I'll know your name or not, I encourage you to post about how your nights generally go, some cool stories, whatever you feel like sharing.

Last edited by desdel on 29 June 2009 - 16:42:19 (737); edited 1 time in total
tizvanbuuren
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 16:40:07 (736)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

mRshadoe wrote:
typical gig for me involves massive amounts of european women who just cant keep their hormones in check...and me eventually just having to leave the club because there is just a big riot because people can't get enough of me. blahblah
armin is that you?

PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 16:40:58 (736)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

^My life as a dj is not nearly as interesting as jezpers. I play at private parties and sometimes at some pub. I get to the club by metro, and nobody waits to have a chat with me next to the booth sad smilie

desdel
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 17:38:56 (777)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

YonnyCage wrote:
^My life as a dj is not nearly as interesting as jezpers. I play at private parties and sometimes at some pub. I get to the club by metro, and nobody waits to have a chat with me next to the booth sad smilie

See the thing it always depends on how you feel about it - I was really trying to pump some inspiration into that post up there.

Because it might help you enjoy your job better, I'll tell you this: My current job involves taking out trash at a movie theatre, thats one of the worst parts but I'm still happy when I do it* and not ashamed or anything that I am taking out trash several nights a week*. People create a lot of fucking garbage though I'll tell you that.

*In both instances it's because I essentially get paid to talk to people all day long at my work, including some very hot girls.
pagaille21
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 17:50:39 (785)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

desdel wrote:
YonnyCage wrote:

See the thing it always depends on how you feel about it - I was really trying to pump some inspiration into that post up there.

Because it might help you enjoy your job better, I'll tell you this: My current job involves taking out trash at a movie theatre, thats one of the worst parts but I'm still happy when I do it* and not ashamed or anything that I am taking out trash several nights a week*. People create a lot of fucking garbage though I'll tell you that.

*In both instances it's because I essentially get paid to talk to people all day long at my work, including some very hot girls.

Too true, job's a job, appreciate the freedom money gives you and trust me, we in the western world have it so f-en good its incredible.

I just bought a cdj1000 a kaos pad and some cd wallets today and i still have some money left over happy

Also, even thou we're all incredibly jealous of jezper, think of the hours, lessons and sacrifice he has had to make to get to his position.
..And he rocked melbourne boobs

pagaille21 is back in the country
Echo81
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 17:55:54 (788)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

mRshadoe wrote:

Ugh, I hate it when that happens. Gets really, really old. not impressed

To enjoy my latest production>> CLICK RIGHT HURR
Echo81 - So long T.Nu. It's been an amazing run. I will miss all of you. Even the dipshits. ='(
Real1ty
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 18:12:59 (800)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

My story is nothing compared to Jezpers but I've DJ'ed only a few times at this one club near my house... so shit I had to drive myself there. I mean it's nice, you get free drinks meet some cool people who are also in the business and just have a blast.

Hopefully I'll be back again and start doing some travelling.
blazeo
PostPosted: 29 June 2009 - 18:30:14 (812)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Jezper is my mentor! cheers