Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I dj?  |   Page 1 of 2 | Jump To >> | Goto page 1, 2  Next
Advanced Mixing Techniques
elfenelf
PostPosted: 12 March 2009 - 09:31:06 (438)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I've been mixing for a few months and I've progressed past the basics. I'm wondering if anyone could get me some guidance as to more advanced mixing techniques etc. 30-40 sec transitions, using higher frequencies from one track and the bass from another. Any help would be much appreciated and if there is already a thread for this feel free to scrap this and show me the light. Thanks
Sabre1489
PostPosted: 12 March 2009 - 11:17:49 (512)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Just mess around, it's really all it takes. cheers
dannyjtay
PostPosted: 12 March 2009 - 20:07:43 (880)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Everyone mixes differently! It's all about practice and finding out what is most comfortable and what works the best for you. You just need to keep plugging away and as your confidence in your beatmatching ability increases, you'll feel more comfortable with performing longer transitions and with EQing more, etc. What I will say though is that you most certainly need to know your tunes inside out, so you know what is going to happen, and when it will happen, in each tune.

Also, a good way to improve is to record your mixes and listen back to them frequently so you can hear what your mixing sounds like, and can see what works and what doesn't. If you do this you will begin to notice improvements in your mixing happy
grantr
PostPosted: 08 April 2009 - 07:03:19 (335)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

learn to mix harmonically
DJ_Rafnel
PostPosted: 24 May 2009 - 11:19:55 (513)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

grantr wrote:
learn to mix harmonically

Yes...this will make your mixes sound amazing. Heres an easy cheat sheet.

G#
D#
A#
F
C
G
D
A
E
B
F#
C#

Basically, the best way to describe it is. If you are playing a song that is in the key of E, the key before and after that as well as the root key(E), will be matched harmonically.

so you could mix into a song in the keys of either A..E(the key your in) or B.

Its that simple. I suggest writing this down and taping it to your mixer/workstation/whatever for quick reference.

Also...when you get to the bottom or top, it just repeats itself...IE: C# would work with F# and G# and vice versa.

I suck at describing things but i hope you got it.

That and just mess around with bass and highs/mids whatever you know. Practice makes perfect as cheesy as it sounds. Try looping stuff too for longer transitions.
Aktas
PostPosted: 28 May 2009 - 09:41:01 (445)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

dannyjtay wrote:
What I will say though is that you most certainly need to know your tunes inside out, so you know what is going to happen, and when it will happen, in each tune.

Other than listening to the tracks a lot, is there anything you can do to 'learn' your tunes?

PostPosted: 30 May 2009 - 03:31:34 (188)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

^listen more carefully thumbsup No, seriously, what i usually do is that when i have loads of new music i put together a mix with all of the new tracks, and i store the tracklist, that way i keep listening to them everywhere and get really familiar with them.

Aktas
PostPosted: 31 May 2009 - 23:25:29 (017)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Do you count bars too, like 'ok this song has a 32 bar intro' etc. ?

PostPosted: 03 June 2009 - 22:12:37 (967)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

i dont explicitly count them, i hear them and know when the next 32 will start.

Aktas
PostPosted: 04 June 2009 - 08:25:34 (392)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

YonnyCage wrote:
i dont explicitly count them, i hear them and know when the next 32 will start.

ahh i see it comes naturally after a while
thanks for your help bro happy

PostPosted: 07 June 2009 - 22:28:44 (978)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

still struggling with my eqing. not sure if its my mixer or just that im crap! i've tried turning down the low frenqucies but keeping the beats seem to still clash alot.
Rynaldo
PostPosted: 13 August 2009 - 13:44:35 (614)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

happy ok progressing in the art of DJ'ing

Stick to basic rules and learn some new stuff:
- get into harmonic key mixing
- use harmonic semitone stepping for building energy into the set
- blend between long transitions (more easy when tracks are harmonic key identical) and really know the tracks you are playing to enable transitions with strong entries and so one
- never ever go out of the 5-6% BPM change range (or a track must ben able to make a long BPM transition)
- never use a crossfader (useless for having transition control)
- EQ smooth tracks on the bass line to avoid blowing up overkill on the sound system (can be both low and high)

and you are on your way....

R
Igneous01
PostPosted: 18 August 2009 - 21:27:45 (935)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

if your looking for tips on djing, and some advanced mixing, there is both youtube vids of the djtutor (just search "ellaskins") or go to www.djtutor.com and there wil be listed a bunch of different categories for learning how to dj, also includes some vids on business of djing, mobile djing guides, setting up your equipment, what kind of equipment to get, and alot of guidance, advice, suggestions, and pointers that will help you advance in the right direction with your djing.. I highly suggest anyone that wants to get serious about their djing check the site out, as it has pretty much an overview of every aspect of djing
Igneous01 trance is alot like soccer.... greatness only happens once every 4 years...96-00-04-08
Pacboi
PostPosted: 16 September 2009 - 08:47:34 (408)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

also look into not only counting bars ( 4counts will end up being second nature )...its more helpful to learn mixing by counting phrases of the song (a phrase should have 16 bars approx)...for the most basic mixing you should be aiming to mix in two songs of same bpm (or altered to match) and similar tone (harmonic mixing)...and mising out of the track in the second last or last phrase of the song (all vocals are normally gone by this stage and you will be matching bass and maybe some basic percussion)..the song u are mixing in should ideally be in the first one or two phrases....by phrase matching you will loose any chance of similar stages of the trax mixing over each other due to the fact one is build as the other is fading out.

i hope im not talking crap here, but thats how i was taught...im never very good at putting it into words though lol

pacboi heart
Voci
PostPosted: 23 September 2009 - 12:43:21 (571)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Mash-ups!

Sometimes failing hard, but sometimes you find something that works! happy