Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I dj?  |   Page 1 of 3 | Jump To >> | Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Mixing in Ableton
gFused
PostPosted: 13 August 2008 - 00:31:38 (063)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

So I made my first mix in Ableton the other day, and I gotta say, its much easier that I thought it would be. But the one thing I don't like is that my mix sounds hollow. Like something is missing. I use the 3 band vst (I'm a newbie and not sure if thats what its called) to cut and fade the bass. But when I listen to other mixes done in Ableton (like previous ASOT's) they sound so much more rich. The next track seems to blend so well with the previous track. Is there a limiting or normalizing vst / plugin that I am not using? If so which one is it? How do I use it? Should I mix the tracks down and then run the plugin? Would I be better off opening the mix in Audition and running hard limit from there?

btw, all the tracks I used were high quality (320kbps or FLAC)

I'm a total newbie with Ableton, so any help / suggestions / tips will be greatly appreciated

PostPosted: 13 August 2008 - 00:33:31 (064)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

maybe it's your soundsystem?

gFused
PostPosted: 13 August 2008 - 00:41:04 (070)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

FunkyGunther wrote:
maybe it's your soundsystem?

No because I have heard other mixes on the same speakers, and I have also burned this mix and listened to it in my car.

PostPosted: 13 August 2008 - 01:11:03 (091)  Reply with quote
Trance.nu Retired Mascot

If you by 3 band vst mean the 3 band EQ in Ableton, that's your problem. Use the 4/8 band EQ or the Auto Filter instead. The 3 band EQ colours the sound very badly.
Jezper & Tommie just launched a swedish tech podcast. Check it out: http://www.slashat.se
ken01
PostPosted: 13 August 2008 - 01:19:08 (096)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Jezper wrote:
If you by 3 band vst mean the 3 band EQ in Ableton, that's your problem. Use the 4/8 band EQ or the Auto Filter instead. The 3 band EQ colours the sound very badly.

+1

i wouldn't use that in my mixes either, its frequency range is 50hz - 18khz
ken01 |
The Greg
PostPosted: 13 August 2008 - 01:23:17 (099)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

The problem could also be that you've warped your tracks in a mode not condusive to mixing (e.g. beats mode), when what you should be using is re-pitch. That one got me for a while until one fine day when I was re-reading the manual.

^^^My Radio Show
The Greg is well on his way to completing a double major in Finance & Economics
richyboy88
PostPosted: 13 August 2008 - 03:01:48 (167)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

gFused wrote:
But when I listen to other mixes done in Ableton (like previous ASOT's) they sound so much more rich.

Is ASOT mixed with ableton?
The Greg
PostPosted: 13 August 2008 - 04:00:18 (208)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

richyboy88 wrote:
gFused wrote:
But when I listen to other mixes done in Ableton (like previous ASOT's) they sound so much more rich.

Is ASOT mixed with ableton?

For a couple years by now

^^^My Radio Show
Maluu
PostPosted: 13 August 2008 - 04:58:16 (248)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Good luck getting your mix to sound like ASOT, he's a professional for a reason. I know for a fact he runs his mixes through something to make all the tracks sound amazing, but I have no idea what it is, and I doubt it's all done in Ableton. I'm sure he uses some special hardware/software plugin to get the sound he has. But yeah, no other mix show sounds as good as ASOT.

If you wanna beef up your mix, use a multiband compressor on the master channel or add it to the entire mix afterwards. Also, avoid needing to use a limiter by adjusting the gain for each track properly while you are mixing, or use a normalizer.

I have my own podcast and I do my mixes in Traktor. It sounds like hollow and stuff when I am mixing, but I run the entire mix through my own custom multiband compressor in Logic afterwards, and it makes a big difference in the "beefyness" of the overall mix. The bass is stronger, the highs are brighter, the mids are dropped somewhat and the breakdowns are much more epic because everything is boosted. I've also experimented with Fruityloops Maximus plugin, which also does wonders. Experiment with different plugins until you find what you prefer.
Jezper
PostPosted: 13 August 2008 - 10:34:56 (482)  Reply with quote
Trance.nu Retired Mascot

Maluu wrote:
Good luck getting your mix to sound like ASOT, he's a professional for a reason. I know for a fact he runs his mixes through something to make all the tracks sound amazing, but I have no idea what it is, and I doubt it's all done in Ableton. I'm sure he uses some special hardware/software plugin to get the sound he has. But yeah, no other mix show sounds as good as ASOT.

You don't seem to be aware of the fact that the ASOT sound is complete rubbish.
Jezper & Tommie just launched a swedish tech podcast. Check it out: http://www.slashat.se
gFused
PostPosted: 13 August 2008 - 16:25:36 (726)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Jezper wrote:

Hmm. I will have to try that. The tutorial I saw showed to use the 3 band EQ so thats what I did.

PostPosted: 11 September 2008 - 14:05:03 (628)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I do all my mixes using Ableton Live 7, the sound is great, to fix the sound u must choose for every song re-pitch under the warp

http://img373.imageshack.us/my.php?image=abletonsf8.jpg

it should work for u know, the sound will be better, no more false in sound, and anyone who said that the sound in ASOT is rubish, pfffft, comon u crazy, Ableton is an expensive software, so the sound could not be rubish :P

it's GREAT grin2
The Greg
PostPosted: 11 September 2008 - 17:50:07 (784)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

RockmasteR wrote:
I do all my mixes using Ableton Live 7, the sound is great, to fix the sound u must choose for every song re-pitch under the warp

http://img373.imageshack.us/my.php?image=abletonsf8.jpg

it should work for u know, the sound will be better, no more false in sound, and anyone who said that the sound in ASOT is rubish, pfffft, comon u crazy, Ableton is an expensive software, so the sound could not be rubish :P

it's GREAT grin2

Quality equipment ≠ good sound. You could give me a Stradivarius and I would still be a shit violinist. Besides, what I believe jezper is referring to is the ridiculous amount of over compression in every song that AvB plays.

http://trance.nu/v4/forum/viewtopic.php?t=154485

^Read that for a more thorough explanation of what I just said.

^^^My Radio Show
dermond
PostPosted: 27 May 2009 - 12:40:44 (569)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Thanks for sharing ur ideas.. Could anyone tell me what is the best Frequency range for EQ3 for mixing trance....

Most of the trance tracks have lot of treble and high bass in them, this makes it sometimes hard to mix two tracks with such high frequency range..

I use the following settings

Low = 250Hz - 450Hz
MID = 250Hz/450Hz - 1.7Khz / 2.5Khz
HIGH = 1.7Khz/2.5/ - 18Khz

Also Does anybody know how do make Eq racks using third party plugins for Ableton Live.. Here is the one I would like to share..

Code:
http://homepage.mac.com/j.argyle/aldj/Sonalksis_EQ_JJ_No_TBK.adg
Mystikal
PostPosted: 26 June 2009 - 04:09:22 (214)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

i love the asot sound, brings more energy to a track! tunage
would love to know what the recipe is