Users online: 0

Guests online: 171
Total online: 171
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I dj?  |   Page 3 of 5 | Jump To >> | Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
What do you do with yourself whilst DJing?
ManifoldTime
PostPosted: 08 July 2008 - 00:33:15 (064)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

RichardClairemont wrote:
Maintain your presence, build your character. Every move you make you're being watched. Don't let them see you get lazy...in order for a crowd to respect you they have to want to be you, they have to envy your lifestyle and that will make them want to come back to your parties again because they can vicariously live the life they think they want through you. Build your character constantly and never break it while you're out there. Anyone can spin records but you have to give them a reason why you're special. I use my "inbetween time" to interact in this way with the audience and to psychologically further the control I have over the crowd. I don't know how well this will go over in a student union (mainly because I've never worked in one), but it's probably a good chance to start practicing.

^poser^

it depends on the kind of gig you're playing. if you're playing at an underground event that's unsanctioned by the city, but promoted by street teams and such (a rave) there's a good chance you're going to be right on the floor at eye level with the crowd. in this case...never rest. they crowd will be right there in your face and you're only going to be playing for an hour, so don't let your songs play all the way through. if there are more than two turntables available, use them. give them hints of tracks they recognize but just to tease them a bit. then, when you drop the bombs on them, they'll love you for it.

if you're playing a club night, it's likely you'll be there for a while so be friendly, invite people into the booth with you that make decent requests, and take time to have a drink or two. in other words...BE SOCIAL. get to know the promoters and the crowd so you know what they like. bring someone to "open" for you so that you can get out and network a bit. relate to people on a human level and they'll respond to your sets much better when they feel like they know you or have something in common with you. instead of "PSYCHOLOGICALLY CONTROLLING THE CROWD" let the crowd control you. after all, that's what you're there for. you're being paid for entertainment, not mind control.

lastly, if you're playing a club party (my favorite) you've only got about an hour or so to make a big impression, somewhat similar to a rave party or a music festival. often times you'll be opening for a bigger named DJ as well, so this is a chance to make a good impression (on a side note, don't play tracks by the DJ that is headlining, as they may want to play their own hits later on in the night. i learned this the hard way with george acosta last year.) these sets are great for playing the type of music that you love the most, so it's hard to get bored during the set. a lot of times i'm digging the music more than anyone on the dancefloor, but i think it often reciprocates and heightens the overall energy level in the room.

anyway, i never have a hard time finding things to do. if nothing else, ask some sexy girl if she wants to help you dj. maybe she'll let you touch her boobs
ManifoldTime I can't brain today. I have the dumb.
RocksteadyBebop
PostPosted: 26 July 2008 - 20:49:21 (909)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

phoenix_starr
PostPosted: 27 July 2008 - 06:27:00 (310)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

You could do what Mark Eg does

Youtube link

That guy is such a dork. I love him. Cant say I'm a huge fan of his sets. Well I've only heard one but I wasnt that impressed. He's good but has very little variety, at least in that mix. It was a bit boring. He's pretty well-known from what I have read....for his original productions and DJing, and for acting like a dofus in the DJ booth grin

Rick Mage
PostPosted: 28 July 2008 - 06:28:20 (311)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I like to touch myself when I'm on stage.. cool

Rick Mage
PostPosted: 28 July 2008 - 06:45:10 (323)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

lol....you don't need to put on a fuckin' show as long as you are dropping bad ass tunes along with flawless mixing....(See DJs like tall2xlc or Kai Tracid) That's what it's all about, if you are a raver there to dance, anyways...Dancing to bad ass music!...Not just standing there, like a bunch of fuckin' idiots, watching someone like he or she is your fuckin' god! lol How fucking retarded or those Tiesto/Ferry Corsten groupies, anyway?? Dance you idiots! Of course, if you're the DJ, it is nice to show them that you are still alive by pumping your fist in the air at least once or twice.... cool The trick is to put on some bangin tunes and don't throw any tunes that are too cheesy or too boring...

You also have to be aware of the crowd before you step up....If they are really getting down to nothing but the club trance, that the DJ before you is spinning, sometimes it might be better if you make sure you start the first 10 to 15 minutes of your set with the same style of music...then you gradually move to the music that you are known for....Otherwise, they might not be down you just banging in with the hard trance...and they might just leave....

However, if you come in gradually, it will be easy to see if you can go to your style of music or if you should just keep playing the music that they were enjoying in the first place....Basically, learn to read the crowd even though sometimes you might not have to because you might be in an area that is known for loving the style of music that is your favorite to throw down....

Last edited by Rick Mage on 28 July 2008 - 07:26:43 (351); edited 1 time in total

Rick Mage
PostPosted: 28 July 2008 - 07:10:42 (340)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Last edited by Rick Mage on 29 July 2008 - 02:48:28 (158); edited 1 time in total

Rick Mage
PostPosted: 29 July 2008 - 02:47:37 (158)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

And there is such a thing as putting on too much of a show. Thus, making you look like a complete retard on the tables. Trust me, I know. cool It is better to look boring, as long as you are throwing down a flawless set of awesome music, than to dance around like some dumb cheerleader! Just relax and get into your music (bang you head a little) and your flow of the mixing...and smile and be friendly to anyone who wants to talk to you... grin2 ...and if you have nothing to do....play around with the gains a little, to look busy, if you like...Don't get carried away. Just barely touch a gain, to pretend you are really moving it, and go on the another one or do some tricks....but not too many tricks because that can get annoying, too...or you can touch yourself, like I do.. cool

PS...You can move your body a little, with the music, if you are really feeling it. Just don't be doing the MC hammer during your set...It would be in your best interest not to do that... cool

RocksteadyBebop
PostPosted: 29 July 2008 - 03:06:55 (171)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Youtube link
hellosam
PostPosted: 29 July 2008 - 03:14:48 (176)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

D'oh

go streaking and see who in the crowd figures out that the streaker is the DJ- when they do tell them "YOU WIN"

PostPosted: 29 July 2008 - 03:18:32 (179)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

ManifoldTime wrote:
if you're playing a club night, it's likely you'll be there for a while so be friendly, invite people into the booth with you that make decent requests, and take time to have a drink or two. in other words...BE SOCIAL. get to know the promoters and the crowd so you know what they like. bring someone to "open" for you so that you can get out and network a bit. relate to people on a human level and they'll respond to your sets much better when they feel like they know you or have something in common with you. instead of "PSYCHOLOGICALLY CONTROLLING THE CROWD" let the crowd control you. after all, that's what you're there for. you're being paid for entertainment, not mind control.

All of that stuff is fine and dandy once you've been working for a few years and you're on your way. For someone who's just now starting to spin a student union, it is certainly most important to figure out how to use music to control a room of people. If you lose control of the crowd you'll never get hired. Controlling the crowd and the crowd controlling you is a delicate balance that takes some time and experience to learn how to do right.

You do have to learn to control the crowd because you have to throw the kind of party that the promoter has advertised. If you don't, he'll hire someone who will. If you let the crowd control you then you are throwing the party the crowd wanted, instead of being able to glide them into wanting the party the promoter has thrown, and that's the trick. You have to play a character, you have to give them a reason to take you seriously...they have to think "well if this guy thinks its cool then I like it too". The promoter/producer want their egos stroked. They want to feel like geniuses and they're also the ones who sign your checks, so throw the party they want and use all your psychological tools to make the crowd love it. If you can't do that, then you're not being in character and you're not giving the audience a reason to listen to you. You have to give the illusion of "playing for the people", when in actuality you're playing for the promoters and the producers (aka your bosses). If you're spinning a niche club night (like a once a month trance night in Omaha, Nebraska or something) you won't really need these skills, but if you're playing a place that is not frequented only by fans of your specific music, if it's more of a mainstream kind of place, where young investment bankers buy corporate secretaries appletinis, and ceo's and socialites have cocktails in the VIP, then you're in for more of a challenge and my way of doing things will probably make more sense.

Put it this way...if you're spinning a space that has radio ads, glossy fliers, and a strict dress code, go my way. If you're spinning a place that is more underground, the audience knows the music better and came specifically to hear it, and is mostly full of the same people every weekend, then use Mainfold's method.
RichardClairemont Adios amigos
Rick Mage
PostPosted: 29 July 2008 - 22:22:42 (974)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

There are plenty of promoters in the sea. Promoters gotta realize. If you rock the crowd, you must be doing something right...as long as the music is the same that you agree in the contract. Example. In the contract, I agree that I'm going to play hard trance and club trance. That's all I should have to worry about playing. No breaks, no fuckin' drum-n-bass, and no boring house...And NO freaking hip hop. I'll die first. Now if I get booked but there are nothing but breaks lovers or hip hop lovers, in the club, that's the promoters fault. Not mine. He should have promoted the party as being a trance party. There's a good chance that I won't agree to spin for that promoter again....for being such as dumb ass in promoting...

And If I rock them, I don't see an issue. The promoter shouldn't ether. If they do, then they are a fuckin' dumb ass and I won't work for dumb asses. Besides, the more heads, that a DJ pulls in, the more money made every time you book that DJ. That's why I would rather impress the people on the floor. They are more important than the promoter. The day a promoter doesn't realize that, is the day that he or she should probably stop promoting. Like I said....There are plenty of promoters in the sea.

RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 30 July 2008 - 06:05:44 (295)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Rick Mage wrote:
There are plenty of promoters in the sea. Promoters gotta realize. If you rock the crowd, you must be doing something right...as long as the music is the same that you agree in the contract. Example. In the contract, I agree that I'm going to play hard trance and club trance. That's all I should have to worry about playing. No breaks, no fuckin' drum-n-bass, and no boring house...And NO freaking hip hop. I'll die first. Now if I get booked but there are nothing but breaks lovers or hip hop lovers, in the club, that's the promoters fault. Not mine. He should have promoted the party as being a trance party. There's a good chance that I won't agree to spin for that promoter again....for being such as dumb ass in promoting...

And If I rock them, I don't see an issue. The promoter shouldn't ether. If they do, then they are a fuckin' dumb ass and I won't work for dumb asses. Besides, the more heads, that a DJ pulls in, the more money made every time you book that DJ. That's why I would rather impress the people on the floor. They are more important than the promoter. The day a promoter doesn't realize that, is the day that he or she should probably stop promoting. Like I said....There are plenty of promoters in the sea.

Again you're only talking about really small niche markets, the majority of which don't even work off of contracts. Most of the crowds I spin to don't even know who the DJ is let alone bother to follow one like a rock band. They just wanna go to the flashy place they've heard about on the radio and seen pictures of on the internet, mostly just to be seen there and tell their friends that's what they did that weekend. Maybe they've seen my name on a flier or something here and there, but I've never been under the illusion that the crowd is there because they heard the great and mighty Richard Clairemont is in the house lol People who know me personally will show up to hear me play, but the majority of the crowd are like I said, secretaries, young professionals, and whatever other rich kids like to come out and play. I really dont think we're even talking about the same business here, Rick, you obviously play parties that are more genre-specific and probably more underground, like Manifold. I, on the other hand, tend to play more mainstream-friendly types of places that (admittedly) like the DJ to play it safe and not really challenge or try to educate the patrons too much. Perhaps that's why my entire attitude towards dj'ing seems to be different than the majority of the people around here, or maybe I've just been out of the clubs too long and in the radio studio too much (talk about contracts...geez...if you ever get hired by a radio station to produce a show DO NOT let them limit your performance rights, you will SEVERLY regret it). Oh well...soon I'll be in Chile and back up to my old tricks working the clubs again happy
RichardClairemont Adios amigos
Rick Mage
PostPosted: 30 July 2008 - 10:37:42 (484)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

RichardClairemont wrote:
Rick Mage wrote:

Again you're only talking about really small niche markets, the majority of which don't even work off of contracts. Most of the crowds I spin to don't even know who the DJ is let alone bother to follow one like a rock band. They just wanna go to the flashy place they've heard about on the radio and seen pictures of on the internet, mostly just to be seen there and tell their friends that's what they did that weekend. Maybe they've seen my name on a flier or something here and there, but I've never been under the illusion that the crowd is there because they heard the great and mighty Richard Clairemont is in the house lol People who know me personally will show up to hear me play, but the majority of the crowd are like I said, secretaries, young professionals, and whatever other rich kids like to come out and play. I really dont think we're even talking about the same business here, Rick, you obviously play parties that are more genre-specific and probably more underground, like Manifold. I, on the other hand, tend to play more mainstream-friendly types of places that (admittedly) like the DJ to play it safe and not really challenge or try to educate the patrons too much. Perhaps that's why my entire attitude towards dj'ing seems to be different than the majority of the people around here, or maybe I've just been out of the clubs too long and in the radio studio too much (talk about contracts...geez...if you ever get hired by a radio station to produce a show DO NOT let them limit your performance rights, you will SEVERLY regret it). Oh well...soon I'll be in Chile and back up to my old tricks working the clubs again happy
I play in clubs, too....when I'm working in Germany and not working in Arizona.....Of course, the clubs I have played in are techno\trance clubs. So, the people, who go there, want techno and trance. And the rave scene is not a small niche market. At least not in the west coast, it isn't. And they ALL deal with contracts. Trust me. I don't really know how it is in the East coast...but maybe one day, someone can change it for the better. All it takes is one .....No way, in hell, should a trance\techno DJ be expected to spin hip hop...I do host a radio show...I've also played in clubs, in Texas, Colorado, and Arizona, too. I've also promoted, too. I've been involved, in the scene, for a looong time...

Burak14
PostPosted: 30 July 2008 - 11:01:49 (501)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

touch myself

PostPosted: 30 July 2008 - 11:05:32 (503)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Burak14 wrote:
touch myself

Same here!! grin2