Users online: 0

Guests online: 147
Total online: 147
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  This makes me mad!  |   Page 11 of 12 | Jump To >> | Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Over Compression!
the moonpainter
PostPosted: 12 June 2009 - 02:31:50 (147)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Deafeye wrote:
the moonpainter wrote:
Deafeye wrote:

This is why vinyl sounds much more "sweeter," hence it is much more dynamic and natural and doens't have exaggerated bass, because it simply is IMPOSSIBLE after a certain point. I've never bought a recent trance release on Vinyl but I at least hope they use a different mastering engineer for their vinyl releases if they know what's good for them.

I buy tracks on vinyl only and it seems like the vinyl releases get a different mastering, none of the tracks I have sound overcompressed.

Oh yea the HAVE To get different mastering, its a different medium, works in a different way, not like digital you can clip the shit out of it and all you get is a lil red light.

With vinyl over compression gets your record to skip... not just red lights lol.

They could do it the easy way and just adapt the horrible sounding mastered track for the vinyl release, it’s not a problem to have a distorted signal on a vinyl. But apparently they don’t do it the easy way.
Deafeye
PostPosted: 12 June 2009 - 02:52:26 (161)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

All that would accomplish is to get people to stop buying vinyls.

They know the people that buy vinyls is because they know they like the sound of them better, so they will properly master vinyl releases.

Digital releases, there is no real harm or danger from making them as lound as possible. (except pissing off all the nerds in this forum, but we aren't many to cause an impact) It's not like your CD player is gonna go "oh sorry, this is too loud, I cant play it..."

http://www.mpp.org
Deafeye Size Matters!
Mystikal
PostPosted: 24 June 2009 - 08:46:25 (407)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Nic Chagall feat.Jonathan Mendelsohn-This Moment (Prog Mix)
Ilya Soloviev - Universal Universe (Original Mix)

check them out, theyre so loud wow
Duski
PostPosted: 13 July 2009 - 05:22:00 (265)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Compression. The bastard effect that was needed when we had bad technology. Finally we got digital cd-roms, and we could forget all about ever needing to compress anything at all.

In a perfect world that is.

I had to register here, since this is THE topic that can and will affect future music generation. I am simply not buying music anymore, at least if I don't get a sample of it first. Most of the music produced is simply crap. In trance, there are hundreds of songs that have great ideas and melodies behind them, but most of them are completely crushed in overcompression.

Well, here goes my arguments:

1. Compression is NOT NEEDED AT ALL.
All you get from compression more average volume. The only reason we "need" to compress is because all songs are in default produced too loud, and uncompressed can fall behind 3-12 dB, which is unacceptable by our distorted standards.

The average volume in all songs produced could be dropped 12 dB and we would not lose any parts of music to the noise (like in old times). So compression is not mandatory, it is just something we do to make our tracks on par with each other. As things are, tracks with minimal compression still can sound very good and I guess this is what I have to settle for now.

2. Try it out.
Make a song and leave all your limiters and compressors out of it. It will sound very clear, punchy, base will really hit you, bassline will really groove...

The strangest thought I meet all the time is that compression makes music sound better? It does no such thing. Playing music LOUDER makes it sound better. Once again, try it out. Make a part of song without compressors (of course no clipping too); then put on some limiters to push highest volume down and lowest up, aiming to equal average (or maybe equal base hit volume average - compression will affect this though depending on how much stuff is playing). Then listen - which sounds better?

3. There is a time and place for compression
If you have a reason to do it. Some songs are distorted, crackling and noisy in purpose. The whole point of the song can be intelligent use of compressors etc. If you feel like this or that sound could use compression, do it on that sounds track, not on master! Anything will be destroyed if limiters / compressors attack them hard. If you want garbled hihats or muddy bass, then compress either in their track, do not just compress everything (unless you know that is exactly what you want).

4. Do not use compressors / limiters while you are mixing and creating song.
This will only make you raise levels way too high in the production phase. If you want to compress *something* check 3. What you want is balanced mix without any compression at all. This will also leave room for "professional mastering" (which, in my opinion, should not necessarily use compression at all either. Or only bare minimum to reduce very heavy spikes). And at the end, make an uncompressed wav and compare it with true equal volume to compressed wav (if you get + 6dB from compression, that is how much louder you should listen the uncompressed version). Can you afford that much compression?

5. "It sounds better at clubs"
Well produced music sounds best. If there is a compressor, it will kill some of the dynamics from well produced songs to make them louder. If anything, there should be "silencer" for too "loud" songs and well produced songs would really stand out in the club for having much better sounds overall in the song.
Duski
PostPosted: 14 July 2009 - 18:43:29 (821)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

...and whenever something is re-released or (even worse often) remastered, it can mean all life has been squashed out from previously excellently produced music. Very rarely (if ever?) have I seen re-release with less compression and more dynamics, almost always it is lifeless noise what is left from original.
Idonotlikebroccoli
PostPosted: 17 July 2009 - 23:54:17 (037)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Seems like a lot of people think the impact is greater when all parts of a track are as loud as possible :/

Idonotlikebroccoli "Sama" by Ishq: Maybe my new favourite album of 2010.
Duski
PostPosted: 18 July 2009 - 13:56:39 (622)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:
Seems like a lot of people think the impact is greater when all parts of a track are as loud as possible :/

Well, it is not true... but if people are not willing to even try to do tracks without compression to try it out, there is nothing that can convince them (short of me making the best track ever lol ).
Duski
PostPosted: 19 July 2009 - 20:51:04 (910)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Sigh, my top two / three favourite genres by far were psychedelic-, goa- and "regular" trance... nowadays every single one track of them is overcompressed nearly always... Goa / psy needs those crisp melodies to rip your head open and force you to dance... now there are plenty of great ideas that are always squashed to death at production... angry smilie

... it is no wonder trance is losing audience, music is ruined. Only hardcore fans left soon, I guess.
Idonotlikebroccoli
PostPosted: 24 August 2009 - 14:21:09 (639)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Idonotlikebroccoli "Sama" by Ishq: Maybe my new favourite album of 2010.
the moonpainter
PostPosted: 25 August 2009 - 01:16:20 (094)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Can it become even worse than that? 5 minutes of pure distortion...

Tsvi
PostPosted: 25 August 2009 - 13:56:37 (622)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

the moonpainter wrote:

And what track might taht be
Tsvi has left the building
the moonpainter
PostPosted: 26 August 2009 - 01:43:30 (113)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Tsvi wrote:
the moonpainter wrote:

And what track might taht be

Annie - Antonio / Designer Drugs Remix
GreenOctopus
PostPosted: 26 August 2009 - 09:24:21 (433)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Wow, so much light blue in those charts. This is so depressing.

Deafeye
PostPosted: 27 August 2009 - 02:50:22 (159)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

the moonpainter wrote:

LOL! What is this a metal track?!?!

http://www.mpp.org
Deafeye Size Matters!
the moonpainter
PostPosted: 28 August 2009 - 01:33:23 (106)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Deafeye wrote:
the moonpainter wrote:

LOL! What is this a metal track?!?!

Funky House / Electro Pop

the moonpainter wrote:

Annie - Antonio / Designer Drugs Remix