Users online: 0

Guests online: 217
Total online: 217
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I produce?  |   Page 2 of 3 | Jump To >> | Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Rules concerning remixes and dubs.
Tommie
PostPosted: 18 June 2008 - 17:41:52 (779)  Reply with quote
T.nu HeadAdmin

PuXie wrote:
Also ,Guess you've heard "basshunter - Vi sitter i venten" , there he uses daddy Dj's old melody from many years back, did he actually ask him for allowance or can you just take a melody like that and say "oops , i made the same by mistake"?

Well, there is a great difference between remixing and being inspired by a melody. It's, technically, very hard to convict someone of melody-theft unless the chords/notes are identical.

Tommie moooo
Eurohawk
PostPosted: 18 June 2008 - 17:42:43 (779)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

PuXie wrote:
Really great thread , I have been wondering about this for many years now but never found any concrete rules about it. You said when an artist has been dead for over 70 years , his material is free for use , so i guess remixing classical music and such is ok . but if he has been dead like 10 years ? what about then ? puh
Also ,Guess you've heard "basshunter - Vi sitter i venten" , there he uses daddy Dj's old melody from many years back, did he actually ask him for allowance or can you just take a melody like that and say "oops , i made the same by mistake"?

10 years and the royalties and rights still belong to the family of the diceased wink

Concerning your basshunterquestion; there is a rule stating that if the melodic progression is more than 75% the same as another track, it is considered a socalled dub. This means that you have to own the rights for what you do. However again, this is a rule - but very few care about it. There's only a limited amount of chords and tones, so some people will undoubtadly use someone elses melodies by mistake.

I do not know the exact process of this instance, but technically, if basshunter did not ask for the rights, Daddy DJ is in his right to sue basshunter, and let a jury decide whether its the same melody or not. However, its very unlikely to happen, since very few artists feels like making such a big deal out of nothing.
This rule is basically there to ensure that noone rips other peoples tracks in part or whole, but this basshunter-thing is really just meant as a joke, and again it would be very unlikely that he'd get sued for using the melody.

Hope that explains a bit happy

Eurohawk - Unlit Unity to be released 01.01.09 on Birdsnest (Concepcion) - www.eurohawk.dk
Eurohawk
PostPosted: 18 June 2008 - 17:43:35 (780)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Tommie wrote:
It's, technically, very hard to convict someone of melody-theft unless the chords/notes are identical.

- Exactly wink

Eurohawk - Unlit Unity to be released 01.01.09 on Birdsnest (Concepcion) - www.eurohawk.dk
PuXie
PostPosted: 23 June 2008 - 13:18:53 (596)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Eurohawk wrote:
PuXie wrote:
Really great thread , I have been wondering about this for many years now but never found any concrete rules about it. You said when an artist has been dead for over 70 years , his material is free for use , so i guess remixing classical music and such is ok . but if he has been dead like 10 years ? what about then ? puh

10 years and the royalties and rights still belong to the family of the diceased wink

Concerning your basshunterquestion; there is a rule stating that if the melodic progression is more than 75% the same as another track, it is considered a socalled dub. This means that you have to own the rights for what you do. However again, this is a rule - but very few care about it. There's only a limited amount of chords and tones, so some people will undoubtadly use someone elses melodies by mistake.

I do not know the exact process of this instance, but technically, if basshunter did not ask for the rights, Daddy DJ is in his right to sue basshunter, and let a jury decide whether its the same melody or not. However, its very unlikely to happen, since very few artists feels like making such a big deal out of nothing.
This rule is basically there to ensure that noone rips other peoples tracks in part or whole, but this basshunter-thing is really just meant as a joke, and again it would be very unlikely that he'd get sued for using the melody.

Thanks man , i feel enlightened now grin2
*Maickel*
PostPosted: 15 October 2008 - 13:22:46 (599)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Eurohawk wrote:
PuXie wrote:

thumbsup

And even if it's still a joke, I still think you should keep the original artist in the title.

[img]http://economy.kansascity.com/files/images/arrow-up.preview.jpg[/img] [size=9][i]put this in your signature![/i][/size]
*Maickel* | Update your status...
VanFearson
PostPosted: 17 November 2008 - 02:34:15 (148)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

The same rules are applied in any case as far as titles are concerned?
I mean...
If the track is: My Name - Track Name
or: Original Artist's Name - Track Name (My Name Remix)

What difference does that make if we need the same permissions for both types of naming tracks? How we decide how to name it?

Gee Tee Age
PostPosted: 06 March 2009 - 13:18:46 (596)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

VanFearson wrote:
The same rules are applied in any case as far as titles are concerned?
I mean...
If the track is: My Name - Track Name
or: Original Artist's Name - Track Name (My Name Remix)

What difference does that make if we need the same permissions for both types of naming tracks? How we decide how to name it?
the first one is a coverversion and the second one is a remix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nl0rJq6oJA
Gee Tee Age El Gato Rapido
VanFearson
PostPosted: 11 March 2009 - 00:09:48 (048)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Thanx! cheers

TiestoCorsten
PostPosted: 16 March 2009 - 12:19:33 (555)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Here's what I haven't cleared up yet, what about sites like www.yourremix.com? I'm sure most of those mixes haven't been approved by the original artist or record company. Or maybe they are?
PeteSilver
PostPosted: 27 January 2010 - 16:26:56 (727)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

so if i want to make the official remix for example for Paul van Dyk's Nothing but you, I should ask mng of the label Vandit for the rights for remixing? I made the dub rework for it and it's amazing. Therefore I ask about this things because i want to show it to world.
THX for the objective answer happy
Tsvi
PostPosted: 27 January 2010 - 17:20:12 (764)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

PeteSilver wrote:
so if i want to make the official remix for example for Paul van Dyk's Nothing but you, I should ask mng of the label Vandit for the rights for remixing? I made the dub rework for it and it's amazing. Therefore I ask about this things because i want to show it to world.

Well if you want to officially release it then of course. If it's great then Vandit might be interested releasing it. But you can call it bootleg and release it unofficially, in that case you would not ask for their approval. It's also possible and common to say screw you and call it your own track, then you could release it officially without permission.
Tsvi has left the building
PeteSilver
PostPosted: 27 January 2010 - 17:40:02 (777)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Tsvi wrote:
PeteSilver wrote:

Well if you want to officially release it then of course. If it's great then Vandit might be interested releasing it. But you can call it bootleg and release it unofficially, in that case you would not ask for their approval. It's also possible and common to say screw you and call it your own track, then you could release it officially without permission.

THX mate happy, everything's clear now
aku&ghazaly
PostPosted: 30 April 2010 - 22:32:11 (980)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Hey guys, we didnt read anything in the rules concerning mashups. Say we made a couple of mashups, are we allowed to post them on our myspace profile music player thing? Also, is it allowed to play these mashups in our sets for online radios?

Cheers.
dancemania
PostPosted: 30 April 2010 - 22:33:44 (981)  Reply with quote
T.nu Staff

aku&ghazaly wrote:
Hey guys, we didnt read anything in the rules concerning mashups. Say we made a couple of mashups, are we allowed to post them on our myspace profile music player thing? Also, is it allowed to play these mashups in our sets for online radios?

Cheers.

You can't make them available for download here. If you play them in your sets etc, that's up to you. As long as you don't post download links here.

Join the Ferry Corsten forum!!! : www.ferrycorsten.com/forum
dancemania Check http://www.twitter.com/TranceClassics for the best trance classics!
aku&ghazaly
PostPosted: 01 May 2010 - 00:59:09 (082)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

dancemania wrote:
aku&ghazaly wrote:

Cheers.

You can't make them available for download here. If you play them in your sets etc, that's up to you. As long as you don't post download links here.

No we dont want to post the download links here, we have them already in our facebook group. But what we are asking is the myspace music player on our profile.. we just made the profile and were wondering if its okay to post them or not