Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I produce?  |   Page 1 of 1 | Jump To >> |
Critique please -- uplifting banger!
varroa
PostPosted: 28 August 2010 - 22:16:33 (969)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Hey people,
this is a follow up to a track I posted here a little while ago, that got a lot of good feedback

I'm going with "New day" .. critique would be much appreciatd grin2

http://soundcloud.com/djvarroa/new-day-original-mix
varroa Portfolio: www.varroae.com SOUNDCLOUD: www.soundcloud.com/djvarroa
Londoner
PostPosted: 29 August 2010 - 00:15:09 (052)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I like this a lot! this is my sort of trance! kudos grin2
Londoner http://twitter.com/Gate_Six
andexxx
PostPosted: 29 August 2010 - 01:12:37 (092)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

tight beat allright...but unfortunately I think its going nowhere pretty fast which means that the composition is not working imo.

ehmm dunno what else to say...

PostPosted: 29 August 2010 - 01:54:46 (121)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

tunage grin
heylookitsOscar Christopher Lawrence: Rush Hour \ John 00 Fleming - Global Trance Grooves
varroa
PostPosted: 29 August 2010 - 02:45:52 (156)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

andexxx wrote:
tight beat allright...but unfortunately I think its going nowhere pretty fast which means that the composition is not working imo.

ehmm dunno what else to say...

not sure what you mean by "going nowhere".. care to elaborate?
avenna
PostPosted: 29 August 2010 - 05:55:44 (288)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

heres my op: first off, your 'impact claps', the ones on your section starts are a bit too loud and have too much highs, filter them a bit, and about -15dB and use impact kicks instead, some nice punchy and short, with a second and a half or two of a nice reverb. then, remove the part from 4.19 to 4:39, that 16 bars. its annoying, like roger shahs mix of healesville sanctuary (but yours less anoying wink). the thing is that you build it up to that point very nicely and then you drop it, i mean it would be okay if you've done that previous part with the main riff or stabs, but u use the lead in there so no, that part has to go. u have a nice build up and then it suddenly drops a few dB and starts building up again, and its the same melody and lead! thats not good. and use some nice snares when building up to the part when lead kick in with drums and everything. try adding some background filtering-in stabs to the body of your track (the part before the breakdown, i dont know the exact phraze for it) so that it would be less boring. and emphasize a bit your mid-highs, your tune sounds a bit too 'blunt', you should make it 'blunt' and 'sharp' in the same time.

thats my opinion grin2
Arey
PostPosted: 29 August 2010 - 14:37:43 (651)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I also think that the second "breakdown" (4.23) is unnecessary.
Overall i love the track.

How is the effect on 0.55 called?
varroa
PostPosted: 29 August 2010 - 18:36:18 (816)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Arey wrote:
I also think that the second "breakdown" (4.23) is unnecessary.
Overall i love the track.

How is the effect on 0.55 called?

That's just some flanger with effectrix

thanks for feedback
SecondHand
PostPosted: 30 August 2010 - 02:35:56 (149)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Remove that ANNOYING part from 4.12 to 4.40 because when I was getting ready to dance, I realized it was a false alarm (at a very bad timing, I might add).

I think that you have very good ideas, but I don't really like the way the track was "wrapped" if you know what I mean. I'm not a big fan of the classic offbeat bass anymore. I really have nothing against it, but, you know, it's really effective for the first 1000 tracks, but then it kinda loses its appeal.

Another idea I have, is to remove the breakbeat from the intro and put it in the breakdown! I think it would add a nice something to it.

imo you're also lacking a tad in the high frequencies. The track doesn't sound very crisp to me.

And also, as someone here mentioned, the reverb clap you're putting at the beginning of some sections isn't really doing it imo. You should try and replace it with a more noisy clap, with more reverb.

All in all, very good effort mate!

Cheers happy
SecondHand is all out for the is
Arey
PostPosted: 30 August 2010 - 10:39:14 (485)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

SecondHand wrote:
imo you're also lacking a tad in the high frequencies. The track doesn't sound very crisp to me.

Yeah, i second that. I forgot to mentione it before.
premavansmuuf
PostPosted: 31 August 2010 - 16:06:33 (712)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

The sound/mixing is bad, play more with volumes of your elements.. And ad the melody - I can't get rid of the impression the melody itself doesn't know where to go to.. the bass notes change from 4:47 doesn't sound much confident :/ .. don't really know how else to say it happy
overall it's not all that bad, but work on your sound - like some guys mentioned already - your total lack of high frequencies steals the track it's crispiness .. and that's bad as hell happy
I recommend EQing each instrument separately rather than EQ the master output, but do what you need to do (furthermore I would recommend building the synth preset like that you don't even need to EQ it afterwards, but that's for a longer debate happy )

ok, the end of stone cold critique grin2 just keep up the work and you'll get there, dude wink
Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 01 September 2010 - 08:05:25 (378)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Thought I'd leave my feedback here so others can learn from it too.

First of all, reduce that master volume. A mix shouldn't peak above at least -3 dB and the peaks shouldn't be saturated with dynamics processors (unless you really know what you're doing). In other words, keep your master channel clean and keep the peak level well below maximum. This will allow you to hear the mix with all its integrity intact.

The structure aside, the kick and bass are simply too loud, giving rise to that dull sound people are talking about. You could also boost the treble more on the hats to give you extra brightness.

I'm not so sure about the arp melody playing at the start. I think it sticks out too much, and you might try compressing it or turning it down slightly and/or EQing it to blend it in. Try to space your synths apart more with EQ and/or panning/imaging/reverb too, as there's really no definition in the mid range. Also after the break the foreground leads sound a bit weak and could benefit from more volume/definition. Focus on the upper mid range too (~3 kHz) as there's a lot of lower mid content around 500 Hz, but not much clarity higher up. You really do need to rework the mix for this to sound at least decent. Start with the kick and bass at a reasonable level and add each instrument one at a time, mixing it to fit as you go. I'd be happy to help more if you want to upload another mix, or parts of it.