Logged in as Guest, please register | 23 August 2019 - 15:12:24 (675) GMT 1
Users online: 0
 
 
Guests online: 86
Total online: 86
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification
Messages
Messages
 
Latest Topics
<  How do I produce?  |   Page 1 of 1 | Jump To >> |
Producing a Progressive Track Help! (Love In a Pool)
DrumJunkie
PostPosted: 16 February 2010 - 03:20:59 (181)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 8.75
Posts: 56
Hey, I have been trying to avoid this and trying to learn as much as I can on my own but I need some tips! Ok, I am working on a progressive track but this applies to all tracks I try to make. I am not concerned with the arrangement right now as much as the technical aspect of my mix. I have tried producing on a few monitors and headphones as well but I never seem to get the sound right. With this track for example, It sounded half way decent on my monitors but then I put it on my headphones and everything sounded so off, misplaced, and lifeless. I have attached a link for the track to make this easier. This is very aggravating because I am trying to concentrate on the creative aspect of producing but I know when i check my mix on other systems I get a different sound all the time. I would love some tips in regards to maybe EQ, the sounds I am choosing or anything! Thanks to all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9DuTLQkEus
Back to top
Rudazen
PostPosted: 16 February 2010 - 04:48:20 (241)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 0.20
Posts: 49
One of the biggest improvements I made when learning was figuring out how to cut non essential frequencies out of every instrument, this clears up room for the other tracks to come through. I usually use spectrum in Ableton to see where the bulk of the important frequencies lie for an instrument and then solo it while using an EQ 8 to cut out frequencies to the point where all I have left is the sound I want.
Back to top
Rudazen is dreaming of ways to use the APC40
DrumJunkie
PostPosted: 16 February 2010 - 05:44:36 (280)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 8.75
Posts: 56
Rudazen wrote:
One of the biggest improvements I made when learning was figuring out how to cut non essential frequencies out of every instrument, this clears up room for the other tracks to come through. I usually use spectrum in Ableton to see where the bulk of the important frequencies lie for an instrument and then solo it while using an EQ 8 to cut out frequencies to the point where all I have left is the sound I want.


Hey, I am using Ableton too and do the same as you said above. I guess I just have not been able to pinpoint the right places to cut in my mixes. The biggest problem I have though, is not hearing the problem until I check somewhere else. I have tried a couple of different monitors and headphones but no luck, I will continue to practice and will get this eventually. Thank you for your tip.
Back to top
mossi
PostPosted: 16 February 2010 - 10:50:59 (493)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 7.25
Posts: 391
Headphones should be your point of reference.

_________________
Deadmau5 remixed #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Firc7O1Bc
Satisfaction remixed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8INVfIuIws4
Deadmau5 remixed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nXlE2bGnEo

http://www.mosdam.com
http://www.youtube.com/mosdammusic
Back to top
soundmagus
PostPosted: 16 February 2010 - 14:34:46 (649)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 19.30
Posts: 100
HI,

Sounded fine to me on my Mission speakers but i am afraid i couldnt check it on my monitors but i will give you my thoughts anyway.

Your mid/high mids/high freqs sound a bit dull to me, maybe you should check those freq ranges for holes and or dips.
Maybe some reverb on the background sounds would liven up the mix somewhat and perhaps some delays also.

All in all sounds quite good to me, keep working the way you are but try experimenting with reverb and delay to add space and watch the freqs mentioned above to increase your tracks brightness.

Also headphones should NOT be your point of reference for so many reasons i wont go into hear, your reference point should be your studio monitors sweet spot. By all means check details in your headphones but do not rely on them for final mix etc.

Mark
Back to top
soundmagus http://www.cubaseguru.com
DrumJunkie
PostPosted: 16 February 2010 - 15:57:08 (706)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 8.75
Posts: 56
mossi wrote:
Headphones should be your point of reference.


Hey, thanks for the tip, I have been trying everyway, haha. It would be great to have no work and not have to wait to the weekend to work on this! Thanks again
Back to top
DrumJunkie
PostPosted: 16 February 2010 - 15:59:19 (707)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 8.75
Posts: 56
soundmagus wrote:
HI,

Sounded fine to me on my Mission speakers but i am afraid i couldnt check it on my monitors but i will give you my thoughts anyway.

Your mid/high mids/high freqs sound a bit dull to me, maybe you should check those freq ranges for holes and or dips.
Maybe some reverb on the background sounds would liven up the mix somewhat and perhaps some delays also.

All in all sounds quite good to me, keep working the way you are but try experimenting with reverb and delay to add space and watch the freqs mentioned above to increase your tracks brightness.

Also headphones should NOT be your point of reference for so many reasons i wont go into hear, your reference point should be your studio monitors sweet spot. By all means check details in your headphones but do not rely on them for final mix etc.

Mark


Hey, that is actually one of the issues I have. I sometimes can not realize if my mix is dull or muddy, it stumps me at times, I am going to keep working on the EQ. Thank you for the tip
Back to top
manupropria
PostPosted: 19 February 2010 - 04:15:11 (218)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 3.10
Posts: 6
Really nice concept of the track though, i like it!, just make it more spacey :P
more delays and reverbs, otherwise its really nice happy
Back to top
DrumJunkie
PostPosted: 19 February 2010 - 04:56:42 (247)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 8.75
Posts: 56
manupropria wrote:
Really nice concept of the track though, i like it!, just make it more spacey :P
more delays and reverbs, otherwise its really nice happy


Hey, thanks a bunch for the kind words, Delays and Reverbs should be your friend but they like to fight with me, lol haha I am constantly trying to add that space without having too much going on. thank you for your input!

All the best
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT + 4 Hours

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1 | Click to jump to page >>
trance.nu Forum Index  |  How do I produce?

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 



Powered by phpBB