Notification

Latest Topics
<  Trance.nu Feedback  |   Page 1 of 2 | Jump To >> | Goto page 1, 2  Next
Metric Time! (Now on trance.nu)
Luke
PostPosted: 26 July 2007 - 04:57:14 (248)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Yay.

^^ You see that 3 digit number in brackets alongside my posting date - that's metric time (aka internet time, swatch metric time, etc.) nerdy

Awesomeness.
Luke | Please update your status
sleeping
PostPosted: 26 July 2007 - 05:51:24 (285)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

LukeEsntlPdx wrote:
Yay.

^^ You see that 3 digit number in brackets alongside my posting date - that's metric time (aka internet time, swatch metric time, etc.) nerdy

Awesomeness.

okay, im swedish and drunk, please explain
sleeping can i be your superman?
theevolpenguin
PostPosted: 26 July 2007 - 06:02:34 (293)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

HALP IM A MINORITY
Julien
PostPosted: 26 July 2007 - 11:24:07 (516)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

It is a slight possibility that I am drunk aswell, I dont see any brackets.

Edit: Bah, you mean the time, it's in GMT now or what?
Plebben
PostPosted: 26 July 2007 - 12:00:31 (542)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Julien wrote:
It is a slight possibility that I am drunk aswell, I dont see any brackets.

Edit: Bah, you mean the time, it's in GMT now or what?

Lookie bellow:

Quote:
Posted: 26 July 2007 - 07:24:07 (350)

The bold numbers and brackets are what he's talking about.

I dunno how it works but I'll wikipedia it right away.
rusch
PostPosted: 26 July 2007 - 12:10:27 (548)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

It's a standard time that has no time zones. I don't have it... nothing in parenthesis following the time on my end.

http://www.christianrusch.com » http://www.youtube.com/chrirus2006
rusch : Make today count.
JP06
PostPosted: 26 July 2007 - 13:43:26 (613)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

nrg traxx
PostPosted: 26 July 2007 - 13:55:11 (621)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

i saw that yesterday... but now is gone?

well that "metric time" didnt tell me shit anyway puh
Luke
PostPosted: 26 July 2007 - 15:45:44 (698)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Ever wondered why we have 12 hours on a clock and not 10? It's because the guy who invented time messed up! Like the same people who invented yards and inches.

Let me give an example: if you want to calculate time, and add 9 hours to a clock it's not easy. The human race is more accustomed to the decimal system, so it would be sooo much easier to add, take-away, multiply hours if we used metric time. And like Rusch pointed out, we also wouldn't be restricted by time zones either.

Eh… I'm an idealist. I doubt time will ever become metric, but it's nice to see it as many places as possible.

I can still see it. Maybe it's an option some of you have to turn on in your settings.
rusch
PostPosted: 26 July 2007 - 15:57:29 (706)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

LukeEsntlPdx wrote:
Ever wondered why we have 12 hours on a clock and not 10? It's because the guy who invented time messed up! Like the same people who invented yards and inches.

Let me give an example: if you want to calculate time, and add 9 hours to a clock it's not easy. The human race is more accustomed to the decimal system, so it would be sooo much easier to add, take-away, multiply hours if we used metric time. And like Rusch pointed out, we also wouldn't be restricted by time zones either.

Eh… I'm an idealist. I doubt time will ever become metric, but it's nice to see it as many places as possible.

I can still see it. Maybe it's an option some of you have to turn on in your settings.

It's now 1337 (ironic eh) here... add nine hours, that's 2237, unless you have AM/PM, which imo is the real mess-up. Me pointing out that swatch-time doesn't take time zones into consideration was not in any way to point out its greatness. Sure, it's great for coordinating things on a global scale, but for anything else it's pretty much useless. This has however been around for quite some time, just not under the swatch time name. When the military does operations, it works out of Zulu time. It sets the time base of operations to a certain time-zone and calls that Zulu time. Everyone else in other time zones still work according to that Zulu time. It's basically the same thing, except it still uses our normal watches, allows for keeping up with time zones and regional time differences and doesn't require a different watch. Time will not change in its fundamental basics because unlike distance, too much is built around time, which is not the case with regards to distance etc. If you want to be able to coordinate things, you use GMT, or Zulu... Internet time will never fly imo as anything other than a coordinatory tool for a select portion of the online community, as adapting it for everything else would depend on changing the fundamental basics of everything. GTM > Internet time.
Cloudburst
PostPosted: 26 July 2007 - 18:10:39 (799)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Wouldn't time be sorta hard to change since it's based on our planets rotation around it's axis?

Cloudburst U U D D L R L R B A Start
nrg traxx
PostPosted: 26 July 2007 - 18:17:14 (803)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

LukeEsntlPdx wrote:

so add 9 hours to current time and u get metric? .. 16:15... would be 2515 huh... well u learn smth nu everyday grin2

...forum settings.. whats that... i havent seen em on Tnu ever grin2

like being able to CHOOSE TIMEZONE alienhead clown happy

PostPosted: 26 July 2007 - 19:10:19 (840)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Cloudburst wrote:
Wouldn't time be sorta hard to change since it's based on our planets rotation around it's axis?

Time wouldn't change, but our definition of an hour for instance... now it's roughly one 24th of the time it takes for our planet to revolve one time around its own axis. If we had 10 hours instead an hour would be much longer, but time itself would still be the same.

http://www.christianrusch.com » http://www.youtube.com/chrirus2006
Luke
PostPosted: 26 July 2007 - 21:04:36 (919)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

rusch wrote:
Internet time will never fly imo as anything other than a coordinatory tool for a select portion of the online community, as adapting it for everything else would depend on changing the fundamental basics of everything. GTM > Internet time.

Yeah, that's why I said I know it'll never become accepted. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't. 1000 beats per day would make life that little bit easier, just like the metric system has in measuring. Sure, it's not difficult to add 9 hours (especially if you're familiar with the 24hr clock as I am) but try adding 35 hours? 128 hours? 73 hours and 372 minutes? How many days is that? Not easy. But if we knew there were 1000 beats per day it would make those sorts of calculations easy as counting books on a shelf.

It's a shame it'll never become standardized…
Naij
PostPosted: 26 July 2007 - 21:07:22 (921)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I just realized the time at the top (right now 26 July 2007 - 19:05:41 (837) +1)
is not Montreal time?

WHY