Users online: 0

Guests online: 178
Total online: 178
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I produce?  |   Page 4 of 4 | Jump To >> | Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
trance.nu "How do I produce?" Glossary/FAQ
Kiksu
PostPosted: 27 August 2008 - 18:39:23 (819)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Tommie? Will? Anyone? Are you going to restore the links, topics etc... I really like to revise everything I know and everything that is written in the topics.

cheers
micra_power
PostPosted: 27 August 2008 - 20:05:00 (878)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Oops! Yes indeed this thread does need updating. However, we're looking at bringing in a shiny new tutorial section so watch this space!

www.twitter.com/willmau5
Will B: Upgrade 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdnSXdrn_rs
micra_power has retired from trance.
Durkicl
PostPosted: 02 December 2008 - 05:17:50 (262)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Nice thread, but no links work. Well, production is about hunting for the right mix or right tutorial anyway. Some good advice and a needed refresher.

Peace, Patrick
Durkicl here thinking about Trance
Creative
PostPosted: 04 December 2008 - 17:32:30 (772)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

i'd like to have some terms explained:
keytrack, mod env, pwm

they're from v-station

thanks!

PostPosted: 12 January 2009 - 17:31:54 (772)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

i found out that PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulation
and mod env is probably modulation environment

PostPosted: 15 January 2009 - 05:25:32 (267)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I wanna read those tutorials, but the links doesn't work D'oh
CVic is thinking of starting getting active on this forum :)
jkl27
PostPosted: 17 January 2009 - 15:14:19 (676)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

CVic wrote:
I wanna read those tutorials, but the links doesn't work D'oh

Supersaw Pads Tutorial
http://trance.nu/v3/article_show.php?id=144

Ferry Corsten leads on JP80x0
http://trance.nu/v3/article_show.php?id=140

Virus B Supersaw Tutorial
http://trance.nu/v3/article_show.php?id=138

"Airwave" Sound on JP80x0 Tutorial
http://trance.nu/v3/article_show.php?id=133

JP80x0 Saw Lead Tutorial
http://trance.nu/v3/article_show.php?id=131

:: ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ::

dead links
DjLupus
PostPosted: 30 January 2010 - 13:43:14 (613)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

jkl27 wrote:

dead links

+1
jkl27
PostPosted: 30 January 2010 - 17:35:27 (774)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

grin2 by the way. i've got how to respawn these tutorials here again from that links, which are dead

so

Supersaw Pads Tutorial

First step in any tutorial with the Pro 53 will be to clear your settings. I dont work from presets. Working from scratch lets you control every aspect of the sound. So press load, and find empty(1).p5a in your presets directory.

If you want a little whiney pad that sounds like a weasle screaming because it has just caught the early flight home and walked in on it's wife in bed with your best friend's brother, you're done, congratulations! If you want real pads though, its gonna need tweaking.

Step 1: Turn the second oscilator's saw wave on (the first is already on).
Step 2: Turn the kbd button on (god knows what this button is good for, it makes osc b play a constant tone). Make sure its the button in the oscilator panel, NOT the knob in the filter panel.
Step 3: The sound's way too detuned, so bring the "Fine" knob down a notch. You want it a little detuned because its a supersaw, and the detune is what makes it FAT.
Step 4: Here's one of the most important keys to making big sounds. Turn the unison button on and crank up the voices to 7 or more (7 is the number of saws used by the jp8080.)
Step 5: Now turn the analog knob up 4 notches. This button works a lot like the detune knob of a jp8080. It separates the 7 voices by detuning them all a certain # of cents away from the 4th voice, like this:

< 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 >

The analog knob controls how wide those spaces are inbetween the voices. Don't turn it too high or it gets really detuned though. Keep it around 4 to 5.
Step 6: Already the sound should resemble that of the JP, nice warm fuzzy sound. It's kinda muffled though, so to sort out that, we'll increase the resonance 1 to 2 notches, depending on how sharp the sound needs to be.
Step 7: Right, so it's still more of a lead than a pad. No big deal. In the amplifier panel, turn the attack up a little more than two notches. Supersaw pads should be impaling enough, but they shouldn't click like a lead does. Turn the velocity and release buttons on ("vel" and "release" to the left of the amplifier) and then turn the release up 3 notches.
Step 8: Sounds pretty good now, apart from being a bit dry, but it's still pretty cold and digital. The key to the Rank 1 sound and the warmth of the jp 8080 is FREQUENCY MODULATION. This can be a seemingly complex setup if you're a pro 53 newbie. Go over to the left part of the synth, you should see an LFO panel and a Wheel-Mod panel. You're gonna wanna turn the LFO up about 4.5 notches, and set the waveform to triangle. You're going to use the LFO to control the modulation. You do this by going to the Wheel-Mod panel and clicking "FrqA" and the "B" that follows it, which means frequency modulation for osc A and for osc B, respectively. Right now it probably sounds way too wavery. Now go to the modulation wheel, which is besides the pitch wheel at the bottom left. It defaults partially up, but the frq mod of the pro 53 is very very sensitive, so you need to turn it down so much that it almost looks off, it should only be a couple of pixels away from 0. (See Pic.)

Weeeeeeeeee the general sound is done. You should probably save this now by clicking the save button, "Save Editbuffer," and placing it in your presets directory. Now you can call on it whenever you want.

This is only half of the battle though. Most of the work with sounds comes with effects. There are some onboard effects I like to do before I move on to the external effects within the sequencer. Here's a quick rundown:

Step 1: Turn the "Time" knob up 5 notches (this is in the Delay Effect panel all the way to the right). Turn Spread up 2 notches, Depth up 2 notches, and Rate up 2 notches.
Step 2: Turn the Feedback knob up all the way.
Step 3: Turn the "Wet" knob up 2 notches and press the "On" button to turn on the effects.

These are just the basic settings I use to get some of the dryness out of the sound from the start, you're free to experiment. Im much more comfortable experimenting with the external sequencer effects though. So moving on.....

EQ: There are lots of great effects we can now put on the sound, the most important of which being the EQ.You can either EQ first or EQ last, its up to debate, but I prefer to get the sound clean before I put reverb and stereo enhancers and what not. The other side of the debate is that with EQ last, you clean the whole sound and not just the source, but this can also lead to flatness. Up to you really.

Either way, you're settings will be the same. Because these are pads, we really can't have anything interfering with our bassline, so you're going to have to cut everything at 90 hz. And because we know 250 hz is the muddiness area, we're gonna cut a little bit here too. If your highs are clipping, you might want to cut a little bit at 16 khz with a relatively sharp bandwidth to remove some of that hiss.

Reverb: Any kind of default reverb will work really, if you have some kind of special preset you've made, have a ball. I stick with the default, gives the sound the wetness I need and I'm not really picky about it.

Delay: I throw an external delay on for added depth. Im a little more specific about the delay settings than the reverb, so I have a preset that I made for my pads. Again, experimentation is key. You don't want so much offset that it really echoes a lot, but you want enough that it thickens up the sound. I can't really give you specifics because everybody uses different plugins.

Stereo Separation: This is thrown on top to spread the sound around in the spectrum a little. It makes the pad sound wider and warmer. If you want an impaling pad, you might not want this, but if you want something wide and encompassing, definitely try this.

Last Tip: When using the pads, you might want to duplicate the pro 53 instance and play the pad on a lower octave (like a bass pad) to give support and harmony. The sound can be thin on its on, but with 2 instances of it playing chords + a solid sub bass pad, it will work great.
Published by: Johan L, aka Neptuna

Ferry Corsten leads on JP80x0

Here follows a tutorial on how to get that Ferry Corsten sound on this magnificent Roland synth. This tutorial is based on the layout of the JP-8080. You can get the knobs to the exact value mentioned below by pressing "Shift" while turning the knob.

1. Find a patch you can overwrite, and initialize a new sound by pressing "Edit > Init/Util", select "Patch" and press "Write".
2. Set ring modulation on.
3. Oscillator 1 waveform: Supersaw - Control 1: 87 - Control 2: 127
4. Oscillator 2 waveform: Square wave - Fine/Wide: -28 - Pulse width: 4 - Pulse width modulation: 71 - Sync: on
5. Oscillator balance: -14
6. Filter: LPF - Cutoff: 69 - Resonance: 25
7. Filter envelope: Depth: 35 - Attack: 0 - Decay: 34 - Sustain: 18 - Release: 127
8. Amplifier envelope: Attack: 2 - Decay: 65 - Sustain: 0 - Release: 57
9. Effects: Bass: 14 - Treble: 37 - Multi-FX Level: 86
Enjoy!

Virus B Supersaw Tutorial

Hi everybody! Many people often ask me how it is possible to make lush pad sounds, in this tutorial I'm going to try to show you some basic techniques to achieve those kind of sounds with the Access Virus synth! I am using a Access Virus B model, so i'll be referring to its interface to explain how this work, however you should be able to make the same things on other Access Virus models too!

Ok, ready? Let's begin!
Part 1, Setting up:
Step 1: Make sure you're using SINGLE mode by clicking the SINGLE button.
Step 2: Select the "A127 - init -" performance by using the VALUE buttons. This performance gives u an "initialized" sound (as the name suggests) and lets u edit the sound easily!

Part2, Wave shaping
Step 3: To make this pad we're going to start using 2 detuned oscillators. To hear them both in action turn the OSC BAL (balance) knob until the display shows "+0" as value, this mean that we will hear both Oscillators each of them taking 50% of the overall volume.
Step 4: Let's now select the PULSE wave on both Oscillators by turning both SHAPE knobs fully to the right (pointing to the SQUARE WAVE).
Step 5: The sound so far is very cold and typically electronic, if u keep a key pressed u will see that the oscillators are already detuning. Let's make this more interersting by changing the shape of each oscillators by modifying the PULSE WIDTH. To do this you have to turn the WAVE SEL/PW knobs.Let's use the following settings:
OSC 1 , PW = 50
OSC 2 , PW = 64

Now we're going to use an LFO to modify the PulseWidth so that the sound will gain in "action" and will become more defined.

Step 6: Turn the LFO1 knob until the display shows 106 as a value, this is a quite fast setting and we'll see how this will modify the sound after the next step.
Step 7: Now it's time to tell the LFO to modify the PulseWidth, to do this click the AMOUNT button on the LFO1 panel, you will see that a led will start blinking, click it 3 other times so that the blinking led will correspond to "PW1+2".
Now, to understand why we're doing this and what it is doing to the sound it's useful that u keep one key pressed, say a C3 note. While u keep this key pressed we're going to change the AMOUNT of LFO, so keep the VALUE+ button pressed and you'll immediately hear the changes! (instead of using the VALUE buttons you can also use the VALUE knob close to the VALUE button). Ok, done? Perfect! Now, let's decide a setting for this. I think that "+15" is enough as higher settings will make the sound a bit "messy", but feel free to experiment with it and choose the setting that u prefer.
Step 8: Our patch is already sounding quite good and could already be used as a lead, but of course we're not done yet! The sound is good, but it still feels a bit dirty and needs to become fatter. Let's change the DETUNE of the two oscillators by turning the "DETUNE" knob and setting it to "75", now the sound should be smoother!
Step 9: It's time to apply some UNISON now. Click the EDIT button and find the UNISON MODE menu by clicking the "< PARAMETER >" buttons. U will see that UNISON MODE is set to OFF, let's turn it ON by clicking the VALUE button and selecting "3" , which means that the UNISON will use 3 voices per key. [now this is something to watch out for because the polyphony will be reduced, as each key will use 3 voices now]. If you listen to the sound now you'll notice how the Unison has made a big difference and made the sound smoother and fatter! Now click PARAMETER again and reach the UNISON DETUNE menu, let's set that to "100".
Step 10: Time to change the AMPLIFIER ENVELOPE now, since we're making a pad let's choose a long attack by turning the ATTACK knob to 80 and a quite long release by turning the release knob to around 80 as well. Also check that SUSTAIN is set to 127.
Step 11: We can also change the FILTER ENVELOPE to make the sound more interesting when we're using the Cutoff. Let's change the FILTER ATTACK to 90 , DECAY to 110, Sustain to 30 and RELEASE to 127.
Step 12: Let's make these changes effective by changing the ENVELOPE AMOUNT to around 70, this changes the way the Filter Envelope influences the way the sound is filtered.

Now, our patch could already be used but we can still do a few changes to make it even better, let's see how!

Applying FX, Reverb:
Step 13: A good Pad could very well use a good reverb happy Let's access the EFFECTS menu by clicking the EFFECTS button. Now by using the PARATER buttons find the "DELAY/REVERB MODE" menu and select "REVERB" effect with the VALUE buttons.
Step 14: use the PARAMETER buttons to find the "REVERB TYPE" menu and select "AMBIENCE" with the VALUE buttons, this is a good type of reverb to use with pad-like and atmospheric sounds.
Step 15: use the PARAMETER buttons and find the "REVERB DECAYTIME" menu and set it to 85 with the VALUE buttons.
Step 16: always using the PARAMETER buttons find the "REVERB EFFECTSEND" menu and set it to around 40. This parameter is basically the "volume" of the reverb where "0" means you will hear no reverb and "127" you will only hear the reverb and not the original sound anymore.

Now our patch is ready! This was a very basic explanation on how to make a good pad sound, but of course it's by experimenting with settings that u will get the most interesting sounds!
I hope this tutorial was useful and I'm looking forward to hear your feedback about it! Also, if you have quesitons feel free to contact me here on trance.nu, my username is "g_ponticelli". Bye

"Airwave" Sound on JP80x0 Tutorial

My first attempt to create the wellknown sounds that Rank one uses in Airwave.

Sample: http://s87006837.onlinehome.us/rb2k1/rank1/alphablue-rank1-jp8080.mp3(save target as)

Midi of melody: http://s87006837.onlinehome.us/rb2k1/rank1/alphablue-rank1-airwave.mid (save target as)

Tutorial:
01. Start the JP-8080 and reset all the sounds to factory.
02. Select Performance U:11 (Sand Storm).
03. Change key mode to single and have upper selected.
04. Make Amp level maximum volume.
05. Change filter type to LPF.
06. Set Filter Cutoff Freq to Max (all the way up).
07. Set Amp Envelope A=1/2 D=Zero S=Full R=1/2.
08. Set Filter Envelope A=zero D=Zero S=Full R=Zero.
09. In OSC Common Set osc balance 2 clicks to the right (from center).
10. In OSC 1 Set Control 1 to 5 clicks to the right (from center).
11. In OSC 1 Set Control 2 to Full.
12. In Tone Control Set Treble to 3 clicks to the right (from center).
13. In Effects Set Multi-Fx Level to max.
14. In Effects, Delay Set Time to max.
15. In Effects, Delay Set Feedback to zero.
16. In Effects, Delay Set Level to Full.

If i havent forgotten anything.. that should be the airwave rank 1 sound. Its pretty close alomst exact i tried my best! I hope it helps.

As for the filter opening as the melody progresses.. its a simple Full Low Pass Filter with no resonance, no hi pass filter, and no band pass. The Cutoff starts around 30% and grows to 100 percent then again drops to 30% at the end.

I also added some slight reeverb.

Superstring is just a small change from my above tutorial.

Example: http://s87006837.onlinehome.us/rb2k1/rank1/alphablue-rank1-jp8080-superstring.mp3 (save target as)

Tutorial:
1. Do my tutorial stated above.
2. Change Amp Envlope to A=Zero D=Full S=Zero R=1 click from bottom.
3. In Effects, Delay Turn Level to Zero

Thats It.

Effects I added to the sound:
Delay: Input=48%, Feedback=50%, Cutoff=Full, Steps=4 notes, Mode=Normal
Reeverb: Low Cut=75hz, highcut=4.0khz, predelay=0, roomsize=40, diffusion=100, color=flat, decay=1.5 seconds, highdamping=4.0khz, dry=100%, reeverb=25%
Filter is the same as mentioned in airwave.

Enjoy!

JP80x0 Saw Lead Tutorial

First of all , take a listen to the example file (*) so you can get an idea of what kind of sound we are going to produce with this tutorial. I used a part of the melody of a old track of mine called "Trance Unity" with the sound from this tutorial. As you can hear it's a quite aggressive and powerful Saw-type lead, very useful for energetic riffs! happy Let's see step-by-step how we can produce it!

Setting up:
The first thing we have to do is INITIALIZE a performance, so that we'll get just a basic sound which we'll start from. To do this, follow these instructions:
1) Choose a performance from the USER bank that u dont need and then click the EDIT button:

2) The display will show a message saying "Select Bank [1] - [8]" , and all the buttons leds will be blinking. Click Number 7 [INIT/UTIL], the screen display now shows "INITIALIZE[WRITE] PERF: TEMPORARY" , click WRITE.

3) Now, if u play any keys on your keyboard u'll hear a basic Saw sound. If the sound is too low, you can make it louder by turning the LEVEL knob in the AMP section of the synth to the full right. Now, u can hear the sound louder...

SoundShaping:
The JP80x0 synths are structured in a way that lets you use a performance with two different methods, you can choose wether you want to play two different sounds (UPPER and LOWER) on different channels, or use the two sounds together to make a super phat patch. We're going to use the latter method this time, so we'll use both the Upper and Lower patches to create one complex performance.

Let's take care of the UPPER section first: click the UPPER button so that it becomes red and the lower button is turned off. Done? Perfect, now:

The first thing we have to do is choose asound form:
1) Click the Waveform Button in the OSC 1 panel until the Super Saw waveform lights up

NOTE: for the following steps i'll give you the exact settings (for example : +58 or - 10) that you have to use, there's a function on the synth called SCOPE that u can use to see what current setting you're using/changing. To use it, click on EDIT then Number 8 [scope] and click it again until the display shows "Edit Scope, select knob", then proceed to the following instructions happy

2) OSC 1 section: turn the Control 1 knob until u reach value 98.
3) OSC 1 section: turn the Control 2 knob until u reach value 127

Now the sound is already quite phat, but it still doesnt bite and we're still quite far from the result we want to achieve. Let's go on and edit the OSC 2 panel and add another sound.

4) To hear the second oscillator's sound we need to set the OSC BALANCE, which tells the synth how to mix the volumes of the two Oscillators, by the default, the Blaance is set to -64 which means that only OSC 1 will be sounding. Let's set it to -44, so that OSC 1 will be the main sound but we'll be able to hear OSC 2 as well!

5) OSC 2 section: select the SAW waveform by clicking the Waveform button
6) Now we can hear that the sound is slightly changed. To get a phatter sound let's set the OSC 2 RANGE knob to -12, so that Oscillator 2 will be playing 12 semitones lower than Osc1.
7) Let's also make the sound buzzier by setting the Finetune (FINE/WIDE knob)of OSC 2 to +11.
cool Now the sound will be much fuller and bassy, but since we'are going to use a bassy oscillator in the LOWER part, let's use this Saw Oscillator differently, click on the RING button, this will add RING Modulation that will affect the sound making it (in this case) a bit more chaotic.

Perfect! The Upper part is now ready, let's now pass to the LOWER part!

9) click on the LOWER button so that it becomes red and UPPER is turned off.

10)Make sure the KEY MODE panel is set to "single" and then go on with this step:
If you cant hear any sound after you've selected the LOWER part, the reason is that the JP is set to play the LOWER part on a different midi channel than the UPPER part. To change this and make them sound together we have to set the PART MIDI CHANNEL. To do this follow these steps:

ATTENTION: if you are not in SCOPE mode, CLICK "EDIT" before proceeding to step "10A"

10A) click "Button 3[PART]" and click it again until the display shows "PART MIDI CH, LOWER + a number (which is your midi channel number"
10B) click "UPPER" and notice that the display is now changed to "PART MIDI CH, UPPER" write down the number u see and click LOWER again, now use the DEC/INC button to set the number to the same as the upper number which you just wrote down.

Great, now Lower should be working and if you play the sound it should be the basic saw sound that we had when we started with the UPPER patch. If you raised the AMP LEVEL before, do it again now, so that the Lower part will be as loud as the UPPER part.

11) Set the OSC 1 Waveform to SuperSaw with the Waveform Button
12) Set Control 1's value to 55
13) Set Control 2's value to 74

Now we have a lighter supersaw sound compared to Upper Part, let's now set the second Oscillator which we'll use to give a bassy sound to our lead and make it fuller.

14) Set OSC Balance to -32
15) Set OSC 2 Waveform to Triangle with the Waveform Button
16) Set OSC 2 RANGE to -12 to make it sound one octave lower than Osc 1, also click the "-OCT" button in the OSC COMMON panel, this will make the whole LOWER patch sound one octave lower than the Upper part and the sound will be much more powerful!

Now we can hear that the lead is quite bassy. It's time to hear the two PARTS sounding together and apply some common changes to both!

17) Click the KEY MODE button and select DUAL
1cool Now click LOWER and UPPER at the same time so that they both become red.

Now we can hear both part sounding together, and since both Upper and Lower are now selected, any edit that we make will be set both for the upper part and the lower part (this will save us some time since we dont have to go and edit these parameters twice in both parts).

Let's now edit the FILTER ENVELOPE and AMP ENVELOPE. We want the lead to have a strong attack and be punchy so we'll go for a short ATTACK and DECAY and quite low SUSTAIN, and short RELEASE (except in the filter envelope where release will be 127)

19) FILTER ENVELOPE: set the A Slider (attack) to "0"
20) FILTER ENVELOPE: set the D Slider (attack) to "59"
21) FILTER ENVELOPE: set the S Slider (attack) to "0"
22) FILTER ENVELOPE: set the R Slider (attack) to "127" <- this means that when filtering the sound the amp release setting will be preserved and the release wont be cut off.
23) Set the DEPTH Slider to "+40" <- this is a quite high value which will make the attack of the sound strong even when filtered. You can however experiment with the Depth/Filter envelope settings if you want the sound to filter differently.

24) AMP ENVELOPE: set the A Slider (attack) to "1" <- if set to zero, you may hear some annoying "clicks" when the sound is filtering.
25) AMP ENVELOPE: set the D Slider (attack) to "56"
26) AMP ENVELOPE: set the S Slider (attack) to "25"
27) AMP ENVELOPE: set the R Slider (attack) to "35"

Now, we're almost done and the patch is amost ready! We just have to work a little bit on the effects:

2cool EFFECTS: set the BASS knob to +38
29) EFFECTS: set the TREBLE knob to +64 (you'll immediately notice how this makes a difference!)

ATTENTION: if you are not in SCOPE mode, CLICK "EDIT" before proceeding to step "30"

30) Let's select the "SUPER CHORUS CLR" FX by clicking Button 4 [PATCH] until the display says "Multi-FX Type:" and select "SUPER CHORUS CLR" by using the DEC/INC button.
31) Set the Multi-FX Knob to 39
32) Let's add a delay by using the LEVEL knob and set it around 50, also change the TIME setting according to the speed the track you're making (this will depend on the BPM).

NOTE: you can sync the Chorus time and Delay time by selecting BUTTON 3 [PART] and clicking it until the display shows "Chorus Sync" and "Delay Sync" and use the DEC/INC button to select the tempo. Also the LFO tempo can be synced but we didnt use it in this tutorial happy

Now we're ready!!! The sound is done, happy testing grin2

(* = no example file availible at the moment)

"Ohhh yeah, breakdown … at 3 minutes and 10 seconds" - Arnej