Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I dj?  |   Page 1 of 2 | Jump To >> | Goto page 1, 2  Next
Mixmeister
RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 03 May 2007 - 04:57:33 (248)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I need serious help...I've heard everyone raving about how wonderful this program is, but I can't get it to work unhappy

None of the beats are ever matched, it doesn't do anything key-related, and I can't seem to control when the tracks start without throwing off what little bit of a mix the program can actually manage to produce...I've read the help files and they're quite inconclusive...any ideas?
RichardClairemont Adios amigos
unathez
PostPosted: 03 May 2007 - 11:04:12 (502)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Well, first of all, personally I don't trust any of the mixing Mixmeister does on its own. When you have a track on the timeline, right-click on the track and take off "Snap to beat". Then you have full control on dragging the next track to the right place. And of course its damn difficult to get a beatmatch if the tracks are on different BPM. So go the the properties of each track you're going to insert to the mix and force them to the same BPM.

As for the key-related stuff.. I once tried it, and it somehow messed up the pitch and tempo, so I just forgot all about it lol

Hopefully you find this useful in some way grin2

http://www.valvemusic.net
unathez not
Lancaster
PostPosted: 03 May 2007 - 11:14:48 (510)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Have to agree - disable the 'Snap to beat' function and go by your ears.
Count the number of beats or try to trust in the transitions of each song. I come to grips with keeping the original bpm on the first step in order to concentrate on the mix and then assemble it to the bpm of the previous track. So, normally all my sets have a constant bpm.
unathez
PostPosted: 03 May 2007 - 11:29:17 (520)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Actually, just one more thing popped into my head.

When you zoom to the transition, and see that the kicks of the tracks are matching, the Mixmeister may play them offbeat anyway. Do NOT change it. When you export the mix, they will play beatmatched wink

http://www.valvemusic.net
unathez not
Lancaster
PostPosted: 03 May 2007 - 12:55:41 (580)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Quote:
When you zoom to the transition, and see that the kicks of the tracks are matching, the Mixmeister may play them offbeat anyway. Do NOT change it. When you export the mix, they will play beatmatched

Interesting.. I've never had this problem. The marked beatmatching section must have the same number of beats - then there's no matching problem. But you're right - it's sometimes very tricky to get a clean transition. uhm_positive
RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 03 May 2007 - 14:57:27 (664)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Seems like this type of software is still in its infancy...maybe in a few more years we'll be in business thumbsup
Lancaster
PostPosted: 04 May 2007 - 00:52:58 (078)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

You won't become a famous dj by only playing around with mixmeister, that's for sure! lol
Perhaps mixmeister isn't the best program out there but I don't know any similar apart from traktor or virtual dj, which are made for livemixing. For a homemade mix it's ok.
cool
RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 04 May 2007 - 07:28:26 (353)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I'm gonna kill two birds with one stone, this should serve as a reply to the other thread about recording mixes too happy

I don't need to even think about Mixmeister anymore because all of this stuff i was worried about I solved by spending $8.50 on a cable that connects my decks to my computer, pushing record in Audacity, and letting it rip. Whoever explained how to record to your computer in the thread about recording mixes did so in the most incredibly complicated manner possible with all of the requisite acronyms and big technical words, when they should have just said "Buy rca to stereo cable, mixer plug into mic input, turn volumes down, done."

I do have to thank them for giving me the idea though, I had been told it couldn't be done without a pricy audio interface or some crap like that, but I recorded a blazing mix earlier that's amazing quality. Also, thanks for saving me the $700 I was gonna drop on a CD recorder thumbsup
DTW
PostPosted: 08 May 2007 - 09:09:05 (422)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I have been using Mixmeister for a while now and fine that its great generally for creating a quick mix CD for the car or to play during a party when you can't afford a DJ. It does the trick, some tracks are almost impossible to mix due to the beat signatures totally confusing the software up and turning it into a royal mix. Thats when manual manipulation works best.

Oh, has anyone used the VST's to the full effect or downloaded better ones? You can simulate a live set by introducing some effects into your mix sparingly, but the default ones are crap.

I also like having a mix with varying BPM's - start slow and then through track selection allow it to build it to something more energetic.
DTW is working hard to get the right percussion bounce. Trial and error!
AbijahManiaco
PostPosted: 25 September 2007 - 08:34:52 (399)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

i'm a pro at mixmeister. what version do you have? in fusion let me tell you perfectly accurate mixes are all about the song-slicer. after the program analyzes the track you added to its library load the track into the song-slicer and click the x to "delete all measure markers" then zoom in in the time-line (not in the song-slicer) and find the first beat. move your mouse until it's directly over that beat (zoomed in as much as possible) click so your blinking curser is there and then click the little flag in the song-slicer "add measure start marker" do this for every eight measures of your intro and outro (usually 32 measures) once you have everything established hit ctrl+w to bring up the "tweaks" window. click save as--call it "sliced" and set as default. from then on every time you play this track the beats will be in 100% perfect sync (provided the tracks its mixing with have been given the same treatment). if you don't understand this go through all the video help tutorials and what i'm saying will make sense. if you're still using six i'm familiar with that too.
DTW
PostPosted: 22 November 2007 - 06:16:24 (303)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Hi AbijahManiaco! I am using Mixmeister for about a year now, just for fun mainly to make mix CD's for my car or for house parties. Its fun and I enjoy it.

Anyway, I use the songslicer sometimes but not all the time because 80% of the time, I find that Mixmeister gets it right anyway.

What I have problems with is that the actual mixing done by the software isn't always optimal, and I have to adjust the lows, mids, and hi channels to make sure the tracks transitions properly. Do you find that too? And what method do you use for that? I typically start with the bass, fade that out of the outgoing track and bringing the bass of the next track simultaneously (from, say 0dB to -11dB), then the mids, then the high's. This is all done within the 32 beatmix that i set Mixmeister for the transitions.

This way I find the transitions more subtle particularly when the incoming track has a lot of synths in it.

AbijahManiaco
PostPosted: 23 November 2007 - 02:00:29 (125)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

um no i rarely add bass/mid/treble markers i just drop the tracks six decibels. so when one comes in it's -6db and tapers up to 0 and vice-versa
frombeyond
PostPosted: 23 November 2007 - 05:03:35 (252)  Reply with quote
T.nu Staff

I heart Mixmeister I've created so many great mix CDs with it. It took me a while to work out how to create the flawless mix and I know I won't become a DJ on any level with it, but I have no aspirations to be.

Facebook group www.twitter.com/jonnixuk
DTW
PostPosted: 23 November 2007 - 05:55:23 (288)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I guess I get annoyed when I can hear bits of the incoming track as soon as it's beatmatching - I like a smoother transition so that's why I have been experimenting with different channels and volumes - sometimes I even drop the volume to -11dB before gradually increasing it to 0dB, or some tracks have such a subtle kickdrum that I start it off at -3dB.. It depends on the track.

Yeah, I have made some good mix CDs too - its fun! Of course I am no DJ, but I find it really cool to make CD's for house parties and then friends give you requests to make a CD for them, I take it as a challenge happy

p.s notice how mixmeister always seem to blend the tracks better when the tracks are in key? Even if I have to force the tracks to be in key by doing a key change in the song settings - it makes the transitions sound so much better!
DTW is working hard to get the right percussion bounce. Trial and error!
AbijahManiaco
PostPosted: 23 November 2007 - 09:10:30 (423)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Quote:
some tracks have such a subtle kickdrum that I start it off at -3dB.. It depends on the track.
well i listen to the loudest part of the track over my headphones before playing it and if it's not hitting 0db i turn it up appropriately and subtract 6 db from whatever the new 0 is.
Quote:
notice how mixmeister always seem to blend the tracks better when the tracks are in key?
yeah i always mix in compatible key
i just sort my catalog by bpm and keycode
if i have a track that's 6A for example i could mix 5A, 6A, or 7A and not have a key clash.
Quote:
Even if I have to force the tracks to be in key by doing a key change in the song settings
i never do key changes--sounds awful to me.