Users online: 0

Guests online: 91
Total online: 91
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I produce?  |   Page 2 of 3 | Jump To >> | Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Equalizing for dummies!
tranceplant
PostPosted: 20 December 2006 - 05:21:19 (264)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

xxx wrote:
Thank you very much for your help. So generally, if I got i right, it is at least a good starting point to work with a parametric Eq and just shape the curve a little bit into the direction it "should" be (we know: actually everything is allowed as long as it sounds good....).
Do you think one of those prgorams that analyze graphically the frequency spectrum of a sound is helpful, for example to figure out in which field two sounds interact too strongly with each other?

sure, just ask and i'll be glad to help out. yep, everything is allowed as long as it sounds good wink

personally, i have never found frequency analyzers helpful in my productions because i do everything by ear and i'm satisfied with my results. so, i can't help you on that front. try out different things and see what kind of methods you prefer personally. but remember: don't get too hung up on theory instead of using your ears!

C-Systems - Don't Turn Around [30.11.2009]
Christian Zechner - Sunlight/Planet Earth [28.09.2009]
tranceplant
PostPosted: 20 December 2006 - 05:22:40 (265)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

pwnstar wrote:
Nice thread.

Too bad your other thread wasn't worthy a sticky, although I think it's a very useful thread too.

http://trance.nu/v3/forums/viewtopic.php?t=132161

hehe, thanks for quoting wink
i'm glad you find it helpful happy

xxx
PostPosted: 22 December 2006 - 22:28:03 (977)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

tranceplant wrote:
xxx wrote:
Thank you very much for your help. So generally, if I got i right, it is at least a good starting point to work with a parametric Eq and just shape the curve a little bit into the direction it "should" be (we know: actually everything is allowed as long as it sounds good....).
Do you think one of those prgorams that analyze graphically the frequency spectrum of a sound is helpful, for example to figure out in which field two sounds interact too strongly with each other?

sure, just ask and i'll be glad to help out. yep, everything is allowed as long as it sounds good wink

personally, i have never found frequency analyzers helpful in my productions because i do everything by ear and i'm satisfied with my results. so, i can't help you on that front. try out different things and see what kind of methods you prefer personally. but remember: don't get too hung up on theory instead of using your ears!

Yeah, I know. My only problem is I actually have been doing all with the ears and hardly any theory so far - and that's not good either.So I think at least the basic theory should always be in mind which makes it much more easy than doing all without any theoretical knowledge.

Last question, than I would consider myself as an Eq-pro cool : Concerning the Eq curve on an parametric eq for example and when we look again at these frequency ranges instruments "should" cover: what is normal in this case: that the "no-go" frequencies are cut totally with the curve, or is it normally more like that they are cut but not totally but only to a certain degree? Or doesthis again differ from instrument to instrument?

[Probablythe answer to this question is, that it differs......but I wann be sure.... happy ]

Hannes
tranceplant
PostPosted: 26 December 2006 - 19:09:41 (840)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

xxx wrote:

Last question, than I would consider myself as an Eq-pro cool : Concerning the Eq curve on an parametric eq for example and when we look again at these frequency ranges instruments "should" cover: what is normal in this case: that the "no-go" frequencies are cut totally with the curve, or is it normally more like that they are cut but not totally but only to a certain degree? Or doesthis again differ from instrument to instrument?

[Probablythe answer to this question is, that it differs......but I wann be sure.... happy ]

Hannes

yep, it will always differ from sound to sound and your personal opinion. but, when talking about the lower end of the frequency spectrum, it's more common to use high-pass/low-cut filters (cut away everything) than cutting just slightly. at least that's what i do.

Van_Damphe
PostPosted: 19 January 2007 - 19:43:56 (863)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

This is really great stuff! You should get an own page on t.nu thumbsup cheers
bboyt3nsk
PostPosted: 10 March 2007 - 11:39:16 (527)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

100hz- increase add fullness to guitars, snare.
to add harder bass sound to lower freq..

200hz increase to add fullness to vocals

400hz- increase to add clarity to basslines. reduce to decrease ambience of cymbals

800- increase for punch of bass

3k- increase for more attack on low piano parts. reduce for more breathy vocals
reduce to disguise out of tune vocals/guitars

5k- add more for vical presence. Increase for more finger sound of plucked bass....not too applicable though on this forum,haha. Unless someone....

7k-increase to add attack on low freq drums ( a matellic sound)
Increase to add sharpness to synths

10k-increase to brighten vocals.reduce for P's and S's
bals string instrument15k- increase to brighten vocals even more (breathy sound)
increae to brighten cymbals and flutes
increase to make sampled synths sound more real

Dont mix on headphones
Dont point the monitors at your ears point them as thought teh sound would pass beside them.
To hear the balance of sound listen to your mix very quiet....and if something sticks out in your mix while its quiet ya know that could be a spot to check.
najib
PostPosted: 29 June 2007 - 22:31:15 (980)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

awesome tutorial!!

I think a good way to push it even further is to have some sound extracts describing what is "muddy", "boomy",.. etc

Great job!! thumbsup
Igneous01
PostPosted: 11 June 2008 - 18:16:03 (802)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

bboyt3nsk wrote:
100hz- increase add fullness to guitars, snare.
to add harder bass sound to lower freq..

200hz increase to add fullness to vocals

400hz- increase to add clarity to basslines. reduce to decrease ambience of cymbals

800- increase for punch of bass

3k- increase for more attack on low piano parts. reduce for more breathy vocals
reduce to disguise out of tune vocals/guitars

5k- add more for vical presence. Increase for more finger sound of plucked bass....not too applicable though on this forum,haha. Unless someone....

7k-increase to add attack on low freq drums ( a matellic sound)
Increase to add sharpness to synths

10k-increase to brighten vocals.reduce for P's and S's
bals string instrument15k- increase to brighten vocals even more (breathy sound)
increae to brighten cymbals and flutes
increase to make sampled synths sound more real

Dont mix on headphones
Dont point the monitors at your ears point them as thought teh sound would pass beside them.
To hear the balance of sound listen to your mix very quiet....and if something sticks out in your mix while its quiet ya know that could be a spot to check.

i dont see a problem mixing on headphones. if anything you are getting a more precise analysis on your mix on headphones then you would with studio monitors, not to mention the price range for headphones is cheaper than most stuidio monitors....

plus there is also monitor headphones which act similarly to speaker monitors as they have a flat sound, but present more clarity when listening to tracks, allowing for better analysis.

of course... mix on headphones on a volume level that is non threatening to your ears! cheers
Igneous01 trance is alot like soccer.... greatness only happens once every 4 years...96-00-04-08
Halcyon_Rave
PostPosted: 02 July 2008 - 10:57:21 (498)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

wow... when I first started producing, this all looked like a bunch of boring unrecognizable words that I wasn't gonna read... lol

but now... man... this is real helpful!!! Thanks for this thread! worshipping
Halcyon_Rave Slowly creeping back into electronic music... with minimal!
e-qin
PostPosted: 12 July 2008 - 04:57:18 (248)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

it s really good tutorials! thanks everyone shared the knowledge
miszt
PostPosted: 14 July 2008 - 18:56:51 (831)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Igneous01 wrote:

i dont see a problem mixing on headphones. if anything you are getting a more precise analysis on your mix on headphones then you would with studio monitors, not to mention the price range for headphones is cheaper than most stuidio monitors....

plus there is also monitor headphones which act similarly to speaker monitors as they have a flat sound, but present more clarity when listening to tracks, allowing for better analysis.

of course... mix on headphones on a volume level that is non threatening to your ears! cheers

Depends, Headfones often create a diffrent sound to the 'real' sound, bass and hi'z particuly are often exagerated, and messy Sub is often missed out, if used with a good Analyzer then fones can be good for writing on the road, but I could never replace my monitors with headfones, you just dont get a real feel for whats going on in the track

More important than buying expensive equipment, is learning what you have, once you learn the diffrence between how your monitors sounds and a big rig sounds, your half way to being able to get your tracks sounding good on most systems.

I would certainly never do much freq-sweeping with headfones on, remeber you are boosting individual freqz to very high levels, which will damage your ears!!! most damage to the ears occours with short blasts of loud sound, where as slow turning the volume up gives your ears a chance to adjust (within reasons)....freq sweeping certainly isnt slow
miszt ...whens the sun gona come out again?
Obi-Wan
PostPosted: 30 July 2008 - 13:53:42 (620)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Nice tutorial mate cool
astrawayt
PostPosted: 17 December 2008 - 02:33:35 (148)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Thanks for this, it is going to help me alot. cheers
InfiniteFred
PostPosted: 27 March 2010 - 04:26:39 (226)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Thank you so much, i really got a far better understanding by reading this grin2
MelissaLin
PostPosted: 18 June 2010 - 09:31:26 (438)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Yay! Thank you for writing these two tutorials. I will be printing these out and studying at work, hehe.