Users online: 0

Guests online: 38
Total online: 38
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  Artist Promotion  |   Page 3 of 5 | Jump To >> | Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Some tips on demo submission
identity7
PostPosted: 30 November 2007 - 06:42:42 (321)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

xruntime wrote:
Um...is it really infringement to copy a melody? I wouldnt think so...plenty of songs have melodies very similar and at some points in the the song exactly like another song, and they dont have problems

*cough*4 strings - sunrise=*cough*aot - madagascar*cough*
identity7
Probes_
PostPosted: 14 December 2007 - 02:05:31 (128)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Really good post this Will, I've only just seen it!
Addictive Global
PostPosted: 30 December 2007 - 10:58:48 (499)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

This thread is spot on, people don't realize how difficult and time consuming it is to listen and sort all the tracks labels receive. With that said

Send you direct link demos to

[email protected]
Addictive Global Partying
PassiePassion
PostPosted: 12 February 2008 - 07:38:21 (359)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Great advice given here, thanks thumbsup

Igneous01
PostPosted: 10 March 2008 - 10:22:57 (474)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

just as a little question: Would it be wise if so u do send to a label, a short portion of your track? like lets say a minute of the main theme of the track, just so that they know what the track is about? because if u do have lets say an 8 min track, the label would probably not even look at it, so wouldnt it be more convenient to send just the main portion of the song so they know what to expect from you?
Igneous01 trance is alot like soccer.... greatness only happens once every 4 years...96-00-04-08
micra_power
PostPosted: 10 March 2008 - 12:51:34 (577)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Igneous01 wrote:
just as a little question: Would it be wise if so u do send to a label, a short portion of your track? like lets say a minute of the main theme of the track, just so that they know what the track is about? because if u do have lets say an 8 min track, the label would probably not even look at it, so wouldnt it be more convenient to send just the main portion of the song so they know what to expect from you?

Absolutely not. The label needs to hear the whole tune to see if it's right for them. In my experience, a label is much less likely to listen to a clip than a whole track.

www.twitter.com/willmau5
Will B: Upgrade 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdnSXdrn_rs
micra_power has retired from trance.
identity7
PostPosted: 10 March 2008 - 14:27:17 (643)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

don't remember if it was mentioned here and it's tl;dr to read again - but if you are afraid to send them the full track instead of a short part - simply make some pieces of your demo to go in mono for 2-3 seconds. ~3 times of this per demo is enough.
identity7
Pennyman
PostPosted: 15 March 2008 - 07:13:23 (342)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Would filesharing sites like Speedyshare work? I know Speedyshare deletes uploads after 10 days if no one downloads it. Is that enough time to allow the label to get to downloading my tune?

Please, my demo submissions depend on the answer...

Enjoy!
Tsvi
PostPosted: 15 March 2008 - 08:00:30 (375)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Pennyman wrote:
Would filesharing sites like Speedyshare work? I know Speedyshare deletes uploads after 10 days if no one downloads it. Is that enough time to allow the label to get to downloading my tune?

Well I have been tracking the downloads and usually 75% of the labels will download the track within 7 days. And the rest will download it within the following 7 days. So 2 weeks would be my recommended minium. Of course there's some rarelabels that it takes a month but you don't care about them.
Tsvi has left the building
identity7
PostPosted: 15 March 2008 - 08:55:06 (413)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Pennyman wrote:

use yousendit. labels love it.
identity7
Tsvi
PostPosted: 15 March 2008 - 17:15:53 (761)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

identity7 wrote:
Pennyman wrote:

use yousendit. labels love it.

It expires already in 7 days.
Tsvi has left the building
micra_power
PostPosted: 26 March 2008 - 14:02:59 (627)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Pennyman wrote:

The problem with a site such as Speedyshare is it's full of adverts, pop-ups, banners etc. that get in the way. There are some other sites as well (Rapidshare for example) that make you wait before downloading.

Avoid making the A&R wait if at all possible. He/she wants to get the email, click a link, get the download straight away, move on. Sendspace and Yousendit are the best of the temporary hosting sites that I found because they are fast, reliable, free from pop ups and don't make you wait before you download.

Edit:

There's a degree of common sense as well here. Send a brand new link out in the email so it will last 7 days, rather than an old one that will expire in 2. It's really annoying to get a track sent through and the link has already expired.

www.twitter.com/willmau5
Will B: Upgrade 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdnSXdrn_rs
micra_power has retired from trance.
Kiksu
PostPosted: 27 March 2008 - 00:22:57 (057)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

For the expiriation problem: every site deletes the file after 7/30 days of no download. So, download your track from that link once, twice or three times a day until you get an answer from the label or give iup when 2 weeks are passed as micra power wrote in his tips.
PQ
PostPosted: 29 March 2008 - 11:37:46 (526)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

micra_power wrote:
The problem with a site such as Speedyshare is it's full of adverts, pop-ups, banners etc. that get in the way.

He/she wants to get the email, click a link, get the download straight away, move on.

Speedyshare:

tell me Will, where are your pop-ups, adverts, banners, etc? speedyshare is one of the cleanest and quickest file hosting service around, perfect for songs (30MB file limit). One click and download begins. I've almost always used it to send demos and other files as well, with no problems at all.

RetroClub14
PostPosted: 08 April 2008 - 20:05:19 (878)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Great advice overall! Definitely, if you aim to work under a label, much of your hard earned efforts and time will be devoted toward refining your sound and concept. As an artist/entrepreneur, starting your own label is a great way to go as well. However, you have to balance business with artistry. Much of your hours will have to be well spent promoting yourself, as that is what labels do for you when you have a marketable tune. Working under a label requires quality productions in order to be promoted. Working for yourself requires being the promoter at its fullest. You can do both as well. Get the experience and learn the etiquette from both areas.

happy