Users online: 0

Guests online: 150
Total online: 150
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  General Discussion  |   Page 3 of 3 | Jump To >> | Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
DJ's should show some respect!
pagaille21
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 14:12:37 (633)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

In my experience, giving edits to other djs has helped me get gigs and adds a reason for people to come watch you play over any other dj for the night. another point is when ur on radio it definitely adds a point of differentiation and again, a point of exclusivity which has translated for me (not saying everyone will have a similar reaction) to more ticket sales or listeners

pagaille21 is back in the country
Ericc B
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 15:01:35 (667)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I think there is a big difference between a DJ making an edit of a track to make it easier to fit in his set (extend/shorten the intro, rearrange the position of the break, clip out vocals, stuff like that (like Markus Schulz does all of this a lot), or mashing it up with the acapella of another track hence significantly altering the sound and feel of the track or even completely pulling away the attention from it by using a beaten to death acapella just to create another singalong (a certain AvB constantly does that).

The latter imo is rather dispicable, especially if it is used to squeeze another few months of life out of your own productions. I think he is at mashup #27 of In and out of love atm, raping an almost equal amount of original tracks by other producers.
Voci
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 15:08:27 (672)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Ericc B wrote:
I think he is at mashup #27 of In and out of love atm, raping an almost equal amount of original tracks by other producers.

I agree with your story, but on the other hand, there were only two.

In and out of Connection, and On Off of Love. (the second one was first invented by Richard Durand, not Armin, anyway)

davidmclean
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 21:53:22 (953)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

one of my worries here, is that if DJ's are just making edits of tracks just to try and have something different from other DJ's and to try and stand out, for me this is a bad situation as things are becoming more about the DJ and less about the music.

personally, i go to a club to hear great music, i couldn't give a fuck who is DJ'ing as long as it's good music.

i personally think that as soon as DJ's start pissing around with tracks, my enjoyment of the music normally decreases.

my problem with this started with Eddie Halliwell and his ridiculous scratching of trance/techno tunes - whenever i have heard him playing live, i just find myself thinking 90% of the duration of his sets:

"just stop pissing about Eddie and play the fuckin tune mate"

maybe it's just me, but i don't think scratching adds anything to a brilliantly produced trance/techno track!?
tranceit
PostPosted: 07 October 2010 - 05:32:21 (272)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

davidmclean wrote:

"just stop pissing about Eddie and play the fuckin tune mate"

maybe it's just me, but i don't think scratching adds anything to a brilliantly produced trance/techno track!?

Most people I know, wouldn't pay to hear Eddie Halliwell just let a track play...

Maybe you're not inclined to his manipulation of the track but for others such as myself, we find it's pleasing to the ears, and feel it can give a track a lot more energy, if the FX/scratching is done in a musical way (and of course in relative moderation).
Rick Mage
PostPosted: 07 October 2010 - 05:46:44 (282)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

^

Whoa, that's some ugly mixing beginning at the 4:15 mark. cool But I will give him this...At least he's trying. cool

Youtube link

tranceit
PostPosted: 07 October 2010 - 06:11:58 (299)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Rick Mage wrote:
^

Whoa, that's some ugly mixing beginning at the 4:15 mark. cool But I will give him this...At least he's trying. cool

Youtube link

Trying? Have you seen the rest of that video? I would call it succeeding lol

At 4.15 which is right near the end of the video, he mixes in and is a bit off, so what? He fixes it does he not?
Rick Mage
PostPosted: 07 October 2010 - 06:17:19 (303)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

tranceit wrote:
Rick Mage wrote:
^

Youtube link

Trying? Have you seen the rest of that video? I would call it succeeding lol

At 4.15 which is right near the end of the video, he mixes in and is a bit off, so what? He fixes it does he not?
haha...don't act like you were there... cool And no, that really wasn't fixed. cool But I've seen worse from other headliners if it makes you feel any better. cool It does happen...unless it's Kai Tracid, DJ Dag, DJ Wag, Miss Shiva, Talla 2xlc...any legend from Germany. puh It's just that the person, who put this vid on youtube, is not really doing Eddie any favors... happy

Voci
PostPosted: 07 October 2010 - 22:02:00 (959)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

everybody is off once in a while... including those german hero's.

This was acceptable. Armin has had much worse happy