Users online: 0

Guests online: 74
Total online: 74
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  General Discussion  |   Page 5 of 5 | Jump To >> | Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Talentless > Talent
jetflag
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 12:47:45 (574)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

what, (I believe, didn't read it all), is failed to mention in this thread is the upcomming trend of controllers that you can hook to a laptop and in that way controll your music on an arrangement level.

Mixing vinyls is a lot more difficult then ableton, no argument there. but the principle is still mixing one track after another. pretty linear when you think of it. (exeptions like jeff mills for instance mix 3 or even 4, but they're still " whole" records, you overlap at certain points in time.)

When you take a look at for instance at certain korg midi controllers, forgot the name. the artist is constantly able to sequence and re-sequence his or her's tracks or bars in, lets say, ableton. Allowing not only more variation to the mix, since mostly every arrangement/track is unique since its life preformed, but also brings in a whole new level of creativity vs preformance

Mixing and producing become one.

We have this guy at our uni, who's been asked to spin @ every party, who actually does nothing but mix and remix his own created loops and beats life. Comming with fresh, new stuff every time.

And it fucking rocks i'm telling ya tunage

goodtime87
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 15:16:50 (678)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Not all Dj's are equal. The real talent has moved away from Dj'ing in clubs anyway. Unless it's a proper trance club with history and staff who understand the music of course. Sorry if this offended you..

Also I can't say I'm bothered with guys who can't mix, cos no software will make them mix properly anyway. To do that you should have some knowledge of what the music is doing part by part, and so be able to use some mininalistic tracks in your set, combining them flawlessly and then sprinkling your set with some amazingly complete works which aren't really suitable for mixing. Talent always wins out cos of the way we are biologically placed to hear, and the way fatigue effects the ears ability to obtain pleasure from listening. Psychoacoustics is not some airy fairy branch of psychology, it is a proper science, the 'psycho' prefix is misleading. It is an area of acoustic studies based on indisputable findings into the manner in which the ear responds to sound during certain fixed periods, under certain conditions. All people can appreciate what a good
dj is, but that doesn't mean we won't randomly venture out on some nights maybe with the sole purpose of having a drink or running into someone.
Settimo
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 23:04:12 (002)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

goodtime87 wrote:
Not all Dj's are equal. The real talent has moved away from Dj'ing in clubs anyway. Unless it's a proper trance club with history and staff who understand the music of course. Sorry if this offended you..

Also I can't say I'm bothered with guys who can't mix, cos no software will make them mix properly anyway. To do that you should have some knowledge of what the music is doing part by part, and so be able to use some mininalistic tracks in your set, combining them flawlessly and then sprinkling your set with some amazingly complete works which aren't really suitable for mixing. Talent always wins out cos of the way we are biologically placed to hear, and the way fatigue effects the ears ability to obtain pleasure from listening. Psychoacoustics is not some airy fairy branch of psychology, it is a proper science, the 'psycho' prefix is misleading. It is an area of acoustic studies based on indisputable findings into the manner in which the ear responds to sound during certain fixed periods, under certain conditions. All people can appreciate what a good
dj is, but that doesn't mean we won't randomly venture out on some nights maybe with the sole purpose of having a drink or running into someone.

Yes talent does win, and in this case the laptop DJ's are the ones always booked...So I think we all know who wins that one...You lot should open your mind to the benefits of digital DJ'ing, why would you want to pay to listen to basic tracks on a good sound system when you can do that at your house? I would like to see a individually crafted, unique set where the DJ edits the tracks live.
Rick Mage
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 23:12:43 (008)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Settimo wrote:
goodtime87 wrote:

Yes talent does win, and in this case the laptop DJ's are the ones always booked...So I think we all know who wins that one...
That's like saying that people who play the violin get hired to play in a orchestra so violin players are better than those who play any type of brass instrument. puh Vinyl and CD DJs get booked, too. Just thought you should know. And before I reply about "your boy" on DJ Mag, who is this idiot? happy
Settimo wrote:

You lot should open your mind to the benefits of digital DJ'ing, why would you want to pay to listen to basic tracks on a good sound system when you can do that at your house? I would like to see a individually crafted, unique set where the DJ edits the tracks live.
First of all, buy great tracks, don't buy "basic tracks". Second, you make edit to a song that's already awesome on it's own, there's a good chance you're gonna get strung up by the people on the floor. cool Of course, your definition of what makes a song awesome is probably way off from what I consider makes a song awesome. cool

skylite
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 00:10:35 (049)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Theres truth to what Rick is saying here..

I went from never working in a club to working at one of the best clubs in my city with a proper demo. Im the last DJ at the club that still mixes everything properly. I laugh about it because I've seen most of the other DJs and they arent doing anything that great on a laptop that cant be done by hand. Im still keeping a tradition of DJing that I think is very important. Honestly, it looks like its more they wanna make it easier on themselves so they can get paid and do 25% of the work.

The only effect I need is a flanger. And I only use it when the crowd is right and with little saturation. Just to kind of add to the euphoicness you can get from music at certain times (such as after a buildup when the beat drops)

PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 00:24:18 (058)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

^

Does Riches have DJs who play hard trance? I'm from Conroe, btw... happy

lta
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 01:28:33 (103)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I guess this type of thing will always have its pro's and con's, people may not care as to what DJ's these days are using, as it's usually the performance that matters, however it's always good to know that a DJ isn't using 'shortcuts' as I would put it, as it may show their true skill, but hey, it's a personal opinion as to wether you use vinyl/cd's/or digital I guess :)
lta has a pounding headache.
skylite
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 04:36:54 (233)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Rick Mage wrote:
^

Nah, Houston is just barely getting in to the electronic scene. I play electrohouse, house, tech house, and a little bit of trance. Seems to work well.

Are you still staying in Conroe or are you somewhere else now?

PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 07:56:15 (372)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

skylite wrote:
Rick Mage wrote:
^

Nah, Houston is just barely getting in to the electronic scene. I play electrohouse, house, tech house, and a little bit of trance. Seems to work well.

I'm in Conroe, right now....I go back and forth....It's my home town. I plan on finishing my school at Sam Houston, next year.

skylite
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 21:09:25 (923)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Rick Mage wrote:
skylite wrote:
Rick Mage wrote:
^

I'm in Conroe, right now....I go back and forth....It's my home town. I plan on finishing my school at Sam Houston, next year.

Sweet man, well if youre ever down, Im up at Rich's every Thursday. I can get you and whoever in for free. Theres some pretty sweet ladies from The Woodlands that come out every Thursday to see us. You might get lucky wink

I think Cosmic Gate is gonna be at Rich's on Friday and Laidback Luke next weekend.

PostPosted: 07 October 2010 - 14:24:05 (641)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I love my CDJ's and love the hands on approach to mixing

however, i recently tried Traktor and i love it and i will be using that for my DJ mixes going forward. Maybe not playing out just now, but defo in the studio at home. Its a very powerfull DJ tool now like it or not!

Remember the DJ's ( myself included for 24 years) have been DJng for a number of years through the vinyl era, the CD era and are now using another platform in order to be more "creative" during their sets. Theres nothing wrong with it and it doesnt make the DJ less "talented"

Having said that in a previous post a forum member mentioned a guy called Nick Cannon? That is totally unacceptable for his next tune to drop while his back is turned to his audience. I hope that particular DJ gets his act together in the future.

And im sorry but vinyl will never return, (and i have a huge collection).
As much as you want it to, its had its day and times do and must change.

JB
Rick Mage
PostPosted: 07 October 2010 - 19:30:06 (854)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

^

Vinyls will never return?? Vinyls hasn't left, silly.

skylite
PostPosted: 07 October 2010 - 20:43:16 (905)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

@properJB: What do you do about all the 12 year olds who illegaly download traktor and are now (technically) as good as you are after all your years of practice? Just brush it off as whatever? Its making the scene too easily accessible.

I dont get why you guys keep making excuses as to why its not taking talent away.

If this is the mindset now-a-days, maybe I should start a band and play guitar hero. I mean thats cool right? Its not like its easier or anything, it takes just as much talent to play guitar hero than it does to play a real guitar. Its just evolution of music man. All you oldfags who play real guitars need to get with the times.