a98 wrote:
arinjunk wrote:
a98 wrote:
Creative wrote:
nice guys don't push their boundaries much
they just do what they feel comfortable doing
armin is a nice guy, so he's not confortable experimenting
his album proves he's undecided

didn't the album have a track with real drums, real guitar, real violins/cellos mixed with trance synths? I would say that's more or less pushing boundaries..

Not something I want to hear in trance. There was nothing special about the guitar "real violons" and etc. It bored me.

first everyone is dissing producers for not being original, and when they finally step out of the box you get comments like this.

first of all, you're narrow minded. second, no matter what special instruments you bring in, they're only as good as the melodies they play.

Just because I have a different opinion than you doesn't mean I'm narrow minded. So do me a favor & shutup.
a98
PostPosted: 19 September 2010 - 16:24:30 (725)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

arinjunk wrote:
a98 wrote:
arinjunk wrote:
a98 wrote:
Creative wrote:

didn't the album have a track with real drums, real guitar, real violins/cellos mixed with trance synths? I would say that's more or less pushing boundaries..

Not something I want to hear in trance. There was nothing special about the guitar "real violons" and etc. It bored me.

first everyone is dissing producers for not being original, and when they finally step out of the box you get comments like this.

first of all, you're narrow minded. second, no matter what special instruments you bring in, they're only as good as the melodies they play.

Just because I have a different opinion than you doesn't mean I'm narrow minded. So do me a favor & shutup.

you're narrow minded, cause you only want to hear certain things in trance. you said it yourself. someone who is open minded is open for all kinds a new things in music, and can appreciate all forms of music.

also you don't have be dick either..

Crasher1
PostPosted: 20 September 2010 - 14:15:29 (635)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Hmmm not sure about the bad vibes towards the album here! Mirage is a truely epic track! Loving the darker, sinister side of Orbion as well, its an album so not every single track is going to be everyone's cup of tea some worthwile listening on this one though for sure!
007fan
PostPosted: 22 September 2010 - 01:00:18 (083)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I didn't care for the Housey Vocal Pop Trance songs on the album. Too poppy. The title track is good for its construction of sounds and the fresh sounding real instruments element. However, I don't like the repetitive main melody of "Mirage." That gets boring. I think just like the track "Imagine," if "Mirage" was produced w/ Geert Huinink or may be Jan Vayne, it would have been a much better track. The main melody could have been much better. The song w/ BT is average sounding at the best. It sucks that AVB only used his singing and song writing skills for the song. Why not use his producing skills too? If I was AVB, I would have asked BT to bring in some stutter edits w/ breakbeats on and off and gone the oldstyle BT trance way with the song.

The rest of the tracks are good.

Overall, it's a good album. It's not a Trance album but we knew that from the previews. So if you can get past the fact that it ain't all Trance and the vocal songs are not Trance at all w/ may be one exception, "Virtual Friend" then you will enjoy the album well, I feel.
007fan is SAD T.nu is shutting down. :-( Where am I gonna go for proper news, reviews, previews
oscarvandyk
PostPosted: 22 September 2010 - 02:56:23 (164)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

orbion?

johnphan888
PostPosted: 23 September 2010 - 22:41:52 (987)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

i thought the album was really good. i liked it a lot more than imagine i must say.
zayni
PostPosted: 27 September 2010 - 15:16:54 (678)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Youtopia reminds me of Fireflies from Owl City..
The only track which triggered a reaction from me is Track 12 (although it resembles a trance track whose name I cant recall), Minack not so bad, imo! happy

Much better than Imagine thumbsup

PostPosted: 28 September 2010 - 10:25:42 (476)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

It wasn't bad at all.

The first three tracks are really nice, but they're not trance.

"These Silent Hearts" is the only good trance track on the album, "Orbion" is fine too, but "Minack" sucks badly.
Settimo
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 04:37:30 (234)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

a98 wrote:
Creative wrote:

Sounds like regular pop music to me...imo, it's been done before. This just has the Armin "pizazz" in it compared to regular pop music.
a98
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 14:03:38 (627)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Settimo wrote:
a98 wrote:
Creative wrote:

Sounds like regular pop music to me...imo, it's been done before. This just has the Armin "pizazz" in it compared to regular pop music.

Well yeah similar drums and guitars have been done in rock/pop many times and in way more interesting ways. But still that doesn't change the fact that you hardly ever hear that in trance music. I think i've heard that track once or twice, so correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it have like 4/4 straight edm bassdrum and supersaw pads.

And just to be clear, I'm not really a fan of the album, it doesnt' matter what arrangement or instruments you use if you don't have a good musical composition. But I do apploud to the fact that he's trying different things, combining genres, using all the resource and opportunities he has to record with talented musicians.

And yeah it's kinda funny that a lot of people in this board complain for the lack of originality in trance music, yet at the same time want that '99-'00 uplifting style back and are upset if there's radical changes in sound selection and arrangements.

Musdaloose
PostPosted: 29 September 2010 - 21:59:25 (957)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

wess wrote:

"These Silent Hearts" is the only good trance track on the album, "Orbion" is fine too, but "Minack" sucks badly.

Minack Was Awsome! its one of the best ones of that Album
Musdaloose | Always @ ASOT
felipehso
PostPosted: 30 September 2010 - 05:53:21 (287)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I think that the album is good as music, maybe not as trance. As said here, lot of songs seems pop music..as Youtopia, seems like a Owl City's music. I'm not a big fan of vocal trance..
In general in my opinion, the best is Minack, Full Focus and Coming Home.
ryanmcguckin
PostPosted: 04 October 2010 - 21:01:43 (917)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

yeah the vocalist on Youtopia is Owl Citys vocalist
bassmeister
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 18:51:26 (827)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

crap full stop

properJB
PostPosted: 07 October 2010 - 13:13:20 (592)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I personally liked the album. I listen to it on ipod when im out and about.

I aggree that one of the stand out tracks is Coming Home and im looking forward to some remixes of that track.

but for me i liked the album.