Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I produce?  |   Page 1 of 1 | Jump To >> |
Old Track refused by many labels
FIX
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 17:49:06 (784)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

So I've sent this out to a bunch of labels lol everyone I could find no one wanted it unhappy ... hh so I'm just interested what do you have to say about it

http://soundcloud.com/ocean-of-motion/ocean-of-motion-eternal-extacy-demo-mix

aa and most of the sounds are from nexus newbie
Voci
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 18:01:02 (792)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Sometimes on here, you hear tracks that have crappy quality, with amateuristc sounds, but you can hear a soul, with nice melodies and ideas. They were just not put onto the computer well.

I think your track, unfortunately doesn't fall in that category. It doesn't seem to have a lot of thought or soul. It sounds really flat. That main melody is really stupid. Uninspired.

Also, its volume is softer then the pads in the break, you never want that.

Also, is there a bassline in there?

varroa
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 18:51:24 (827)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

lol Voci is on a real hate-spree today

but yeah the track's annoying more then anything.. that same stupid screeching sound over and over and over again.. it's unbearable
varroa Portfolio: www.varroae.com SOUNDCLOUD: www.soundcloud.com/djvarroa
Voci
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 19:41:53 (862)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

varroa wrote:
lol Voci is on a real hate-spree today

Well I bet they are more happy with my reply then with 0 replies. And even though I know your kidding, its of course no hate. I just type what I think of the tracks.

This guy just should practice for another year, and then put something up on trance.nu again. It's not the time to bother labels with it at all (yet).
But don't let it drop the motivation. Please come back and surprise us, but not next week. cheers

Macker
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 20:59:52 (916)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Right from the beginning the sound of the kick sample has told me that this wasn't going to be a top notch production, but sometimes that's acceptable if some musical thought has gone into it. Not much later I'm faced with what is essentially a rather simple, quite repetetive and intensely annoying melody.

Being an EDM track I'd expect it to at least have some sort of bass, even if it's just a simple off beat one - but I hear (and feel) none at all.

Just reached the break and the pads have come in, and they aren't bad, but they aren't great either - however the "gated" sound at the end of them is pretty poor and feels out of time.

New synth melody has been introduced after the pads - lead sound is weak at best and the melody makes no sense to my ears what-so-ever. Did you actually put any time into coming up with the melody? I am actually slowly losing the will to live. So what do we have...

Pros:
- Not a bad track structure, definately works within the genre.
- Pads in the break aren't too bad though whether something not being "too bad" qualifies as a pro is debatable.

Cons:
- Poor kick sample
- No bassline
- Sound palette is very sparse.
- Track sounds very thin due to a lack of elements
- Lead synth made me lose the will to live
- Musically (though this is entirely subjective) the melody throughout the track is terrible

The fact is every new producer has to start somewhere, so don't let the harsh critiques get you down. Stick with it and see how things improve. One thing I will suggest is that you listen to some of your favourite tracks and instead of focusing on the main elements, try to listen to what's going on beneath them - you'll notice that behind the lead sounds there will be a myriad of other things happening too.

Intel Q6600 | 4GB Crucial Balistix RAM | Nvidia XFX GeForce 8800 GTS | 1TB+ Storage | MOTU 828MKII | Presonus Tube Pre | Rode NT1a | SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 | Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 | Novation KS Rack | Cubase 5 | Reason 3
Macker Goodbye trance.nu. You shall be missed
davidmclean
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 21:38:13 (943)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

i think these guys have said all that needs to be said before me.

perhaps the one useful thing i can add is sort out the kick and the bass my friend - these two elements are the lifeblood of any good dance track, and if you don't have them nailed, then you're in trouble!

and you need to seriously improve the kick and bass in this track.

try and get the basics done and work up from there.
FIX
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 22:08:08 (963)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Hey I can see now almost all things you say , hey this was a year ago...

I understand your frustrations guys as this is not trance, it was supposed to be some sort of minimalistic track but yeah definitely the kick is bad, and the melody is very very weak (just a basic sound from Nexus)

And yeah actually there is a sub bass line (a basic sine wave) but you don't hear it because of bad EQ and it works poorly with the kick cheers quite frankly I didn't thought that when I was making this lol

I thought I had a good track back then OMFG lol
Subtle
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 22:39:49 (985)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Production wise this track does not hold high quality, a bit dodgy mix, not many details... sounds amaterusih

BUT as an idea for the track i think its kinda cool, a bit goa trance like.. melody is not too bad

Subtle Alex. I am Alex..
Dalh
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 23:11:23 (007)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

# Bassline?
# Poor choice of samples / EQing
# I can't stand the melody
# Make the break a bit wider. Add some more chords!
# And fix the track title! No labels will accept a track titled Eternal Ecstasy

Just by fixing the melody, the track would sound 10x better! Arrangement-wise, the track is rather Ok.

Good luck! cheers

derail
PostPosted: 07 October 2010 - 06:34:50 (315)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

FIX wrote:
Hey I can see now almost all things you say , hey this was a year ago...

I thought I had a good track back then OMFG lol

A year ago, and you're only posting it up for critiques now? How quickly do you want to make progress?