Guests online: 150
Total online: 150
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I produce?  |   Page 1 of 1 | Jump To >> |
How do I maintain constant volume levels while....?
Indekka
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 02:17:21 (137)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

So I have a track in one of my productions and the track has a high pass filter automation on it. However, in the process of high pass filtering the track, along with adding a delay to it, it appears as though the volume levels get lower. Since this whole deal happens in a build up portion of my production, it is rather important that the volume levels stay constant or the same whilst this is happening. I'm wondering what tool would i use to make the volume levels constant during this brief build up.

So far I've hand drawn a volume automation at this part which works just fine. But I get the feeling i could use some kind of audio effect to do it for me with more relative ease, and even-ness than a hand drawn volume automation. I thought about using a compressor, but the this whole automation deal is taking place on a drum track which already has compression on it and the drum just gets compressed even more. Maybe i'm doing this all wrong if someone could elaborate on a technique that would accomplish this for me. Thanks.

For now I am gonna fiddle with compression settings because i think thats what would do it.. A compressor with a fast attack and sloooow release settings, but not sure. We'll see :P
100F
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 02:53:02 (161)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

volume automation is your friend in this case...
you could also try using a plug in named vocal rider from waves which actually does that... but its expensive...
100F is sad!
Jezper
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 11:08:28 (505)  Reply with quote
Trance.nu Retired Mascot

I'd say volumen automation is your friend too, especially when you're effecting the whole track.
Jezper & Tommie just launched a swedish tech podcast. Check it out: http://www.slashat.se
Indekka
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 12:12:25 (550)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Yeah, that makes sense. The compression technique i mentioned did work, but only after it affected the whole track. In Ableton I found that if you do compression with a quick attack and long release (400ms) and lookahead set to 10ms with the compressor set to RMS. the compression doesnt act on the intial attack it seems. Worked pretty well. But I still have the volume automation saved in another track. And in most cases volume automation would seem better because, compression does affect the whole track.

BTW: Jezper, your youtube tutorial videos have been a BIG help. I figured since i didnt comment on them on youtube I'd just thank you personally. Thanks, they really saved me some time!
jkl27
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 19:33:28 (856)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

right what the ....

just put a compressor with proper settings(also watch for output), and forget it after at all.. automate you volume whatever you like

"Ohhh yeah, breakdown … at 3 minutes and 10 seconds" - Arnej