Users online: 0

Guests online: 144
Total online: 144
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I produce?  |   Page 29 of 30 | Jump To >> | Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
The Work In Progress thread
bassmeister
PostPosted: 22 September 2010 - 16:29:21 (728)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

here's a remix i'm currently doing. It's almost thre I think
Check it out

http://soundcloud.com/hyperscape/these-words-remix

Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 23 September 2010 - 02:29:03 (145)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

bassmeister wrote:
here's a remix i'm currently doing. It's almost thre I think
Check it out

http://soundcloud.com/hyperscape/these-words-remix

There's a lot of sub-bass here. I would put a high-pass on the bassline for starters as the 28 Hz sub-harmonic is too loud. Try rolling off from about 40 Hz. Then maybe also look at reducing 55 Hz on the kick slightly with a tight bandwidth to allow more room for the bass.

Overall just ease up on the bass and lower mid frequencies slightly. It wouldn't be as good to do this in the mastering, but see if you can still go into the mix and adjust any EQs and levels to accomodate for a sound that goes more into the upper mid frequencies and less in the lower mid. It gets better towards the end, and maybe you do prefer this warmer sound, so you might decide to leave it. But if I were to master this I'd definitely boost the upper mid to bring out some clarity and presence.

Volume-wise I think you're pushing it a bit too. It would be nice to hear a slightly more dynamic master.

sleeping
PostPosted: 25 September 2010 - 16:31:59 (730)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

http://soundcloud.com/sleepingmusic/ico-ant-then-it-was-nothing-limelight-samples

New You Are My Salvation myspace!!
sleeping can i be your superman?
Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 26 September 2010 - 07:52:59 (370)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

sleeping wrote:
http://soundcloud.com/sleepingmusic/ico-ant-then-it-was-nothing-limelight-samples

This reminds me of a topic last week where there was a discussion on compressing leads. I wonder what Duski has to say about compressing the main lead at 0:28, because I would certainly run it through a nice compressor to thicken the sound, either before or after the reverb.

A very bassy low end you have going on there. It's just a long-sustaining kick is all, together with the 41 Hz bass note, but there's certainly nothing wrong with it provided you have a present top end as well, otherwise you're just left with a bassy drone of a mix.

Also the lead at 1:09 could do with a little compression if you ask me.

Would really need to hear more. happy

varroa
PostPosted: 30 September 2010 - 08:44:31 (405)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

ok, I need some serious help

Trying my best for that Super8 & Tab remix competition.. Still have 2 weeks left but I want to make the best of those 2 weeks so.. here it is:

Super8 & Tab - Empire (Varroa Remix) (WORK IN PROGRESS EDIT)

I'll need some help particularly with the main break around 3:10.. really not sure what to do, I don't usually work with vocals so I'm not aware of what's usually done with certain aspects (i.e. eq)

ps thanks atlantis_ar for your continuous help!
varroa Portfolio: www.varroae.com SOUNDCLOUD: www.soundcloud.com/djvarroa
Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 30 September 2010 - 11:08:54 (506)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Unfortunately my computer broke down (it keeps freezing intermittently) so I'm having to buy another one. I want to put together a high-end audio workstation so it's going to take me some time. I'll put a new power supply in it in first to see if that will fix it, but it's not looking promising.

varroa
PostPosted: 30 September 2010 - 18:54:17 (829)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

No!!... how unfortunate unhappy

Freezing intermittently sounds a bit like hdd problems, have you tried booting from a live disk or flash drive os?
Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 01 October 2010 - 03:24:04 (183)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

varroa wrote:
No!!... how unfortunate unhappy

Freezing intermittently sounds a bit like hdd problems, have you tried booting from a live disk or flash drive os?

It's not the hard disk because I have another one with another installation of Windows and that also freezes. Having one or more than one disk in their also gives the problem, and most times it even hangs on the 'Intel Inside' screen, though the odd thing is that having no drives connected it does continue to boot. The power supply's lines all tested positive, so that leaves the motherboard, CPU or RAM. I can easily replace the PSU so that's on its way, and I can test different RAM in there today as well, but my guess is that it's the motherboard.

Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 01 October 2010 - 05:35:58 (274)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

varroa wrote:
Super8 & Tab - Empire (Varroa Remix) (WORK IN PROGRESS EDIT)

OK so I have one RAM stick in there now and it seems to be working...

See if you can somehow reduce the peak at 0:27 when the kick is reversed/processed, as the master limiter will most likely cause it to distort. Maybe even an extra compressor so it's only working on the peak but not on the kick itself (high threshold).

The kind of bass you have could cause room resonances in unfavourable situations, but OK it's not all that bad. Try reducing the 52 Hz (G#2) frequency down a bit with though a reasonbly tight bandwidth and you should be able to get away with a more leveled-sounding bass range, particularly on low bass response speakers.

Can I hear the bit from 0:54 to 0:59 in WAV format (FLAC or RAR), as I'd like to hear the extreme treble more clearly.

The vocals should come up quite a bit. It's good they fill the lower mid range, but they can do with quite a bit more volume.

I hear the bass change at 1:52 with a higher, off-beat note, which is cool, but I'm not really sure whether it should be louder or softer. Maybe you could change the timbre slightly and have it stick out a bit more to give it more drive.

The bass drop at 2:18 just makes the bass sound out of tune. Not really sure what that was supposed to be.

At 2:32 again the peak jumps a little. Maybe just leave it for now.

Does the bass deliberately go more choppy at 2:43?

Maybe you can reduce the peak at 3:40 with a multiband compressor or dynamic EQ (isn't that the same thing?)

The sharp sound at 3:42 might sound too loud.

This was all a bit rushed as I have to go now but I'll be back in a few hours to give feedback on the rest.

Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 01 October 2010 - 14:38:33 (651)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

There's also a 10 Hz offset in the bass drop sound like at 2:18 and 3:41.

The vocal at 3:43 could again do with some multiband compression to target the sibilance, but I'm really wondering whether this is the best idea.

At 4:09 again you have the sub-bass sound and it's actually clicking this time...

I also notice the vocal by now is far louder, and actually sits just right, if not a little loud especially around the mids.

I wonder what you could boost around 5 kHz to add more brightness here. Of course something that can be done in the mastering too, but there's a bit of mixing space here left to fill.

By the way, my computer is fixed now. It seems three of the four CPU fan pins had come lose and in the end I nearly fried the CPU, but luckily it only burned the thermal paste. Had it all replaced and cleaned out and it's running smoothly now.

varroa
PostPosted: 02 October 2010 - 22:05:55 (962)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Ok, I've gone through the track quite thoroughly and ironed out all those problems, as well as beefed up the mid bass by splitting it into two (high and low) separate tracks

Here's what I've got now

Empire remix (oct 2)

And here's that 10 second uncompressed clip you requested

empire clip
Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 02 October 2010 - 23:46:06 (032)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

varroa wrote:
Ok, I've gone through the track quite thoroughly and ironed out all those problems, as well as beefed up the mid bass by splitting it into two (high and low) separate tracks

Here's what I've got now

Empire remix (oct 2)

And here's that 10 second uncompressed clip you requested

empire clip

This is awesome. Sounds so much better.

The high sweep in the uncompressed clip you posted, do you have a way of low-passing it very high up? I'm talking above 18 kHz here, as the level jumps quite high where it should naturally roll off. You'll need something high and quite steep to not affect the top of the sweep, but just to blend the extreme treble in.

The high sweep also sounds too 'airy' at 1:20 on my monitors and to my ears. Rolling off around 18 kHz should help the 19 kHz range to blend in.

In the break, the words "create", "give" and "just" still spike up a lot and could be targeted with multi-band compression (or a de-esser, but the "j" has a higher frequency range). You wouldn't want it to work throughout the whole song, but those three points really jump out at me.

At 3:42 there's a click and I hear the same at 4:09 and 6:56 and maybe some other parts I've missed.

The filter change at 4:25 sounds a bit abrupt. Maybe you could make that more subtle somehow?

The build at 4:50 still makes the drop at 4:52 sound weak, in that it seems too loud compared to what comes after it.

Also I think the lead synth really needs to come up, but perhaps more with EQ than level. A nice, broad boost around 600 Hz will help thicken the sound.

At 5:20 I think I hear a pad that could be separated more with EQ.

This is where it starts to move on to mastering, in that I can hear quite a few changes that could be better dealt with in the mastering. For example, the mid bass and vocal, though not too loud, could be blended in by bringing them down in level. That might sound contradicting, but master (multi-band) compression could help to bring them in maybe better than bringing them down in level could. On second thought though, maybe pulling them down a few 0.1 dB couldn't hurt.

dilzaaa
PostPosted: 05 October 2010 - 15:46:07 (698)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Would like someone to cast a critical ear over a track that I've produced. I'm relatively happy with it but know that it's not sounding 'pro' - and would appreciate any suggestions any of you may have in achieving this.

I'm a relative noob, but have been doing a lot of reading and watching tutorial DVDs. They've given me the motivation to actually complete something and I've reached a plateau in terms of how to progress further with this.

Thanks in advance cool

http://www.soundcloud.com/dilzaaa/lucidity
Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 00:43:13 (071)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

dilzaaa wrote:
Would like someone to cast a critical ear over a track that I've produced. I'm relatively happy with it but know that it's not sounding 'pro' - and would appreciate any suggestions any of you may have in achieving this.

I'm a relative noob, but have been doing a lot of reading and watching tutorial DVDs. They've given me the motivation to actually complete something and I've reached a plateau in terms of how to progress further with this.

Thanks in advance cool

http://www.soundcloud.com/dilzaaa/lucidity

Do you mind just uploading a 15 second clip from 3:46 to 4:00 in FLAC or WAV (RAR)? I want to hear the top end without MP3 compression.

Firstly I would advice against any form of mix compression and focus on the task at hand: mixing, not mastering.

Your bass sounds quite dead and loud there in the middle. I wonder how the kick and bass would lock if you transposed everything (minus the kick and any percussion instruments of course) one semitone down. The bass also sounds on the loud side, same with the kick, but maybe only a little.

I wonder what you can bring out around 4 kHz that needs more presence. Maybe the first lead synth you introduce that's also playing at the end. I just find the master a little shy here.

For the rest the mix is OK, so well done. I would just work on making your instruments sound better with some good processors as it all sounds very 'cold' and 'thin', as opposed to 'warm' and 'fat'.

dilzaaa
PostPosted: 06 October 2010 - 05:53:49 (287)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to listen and post back.

Atlantis_AR wrote:

Do you mind just uploading a 15 second clip from 3:46 to 4:00 in FLAC or WAV (RAR)? I want to hear the top end without MP3 compression.

http://freespace.virgin.net/dylan.feeney/requested_clip.rar

Atlantis_AR wrote:

Firstly I would advice against any form of mix compression and focus on the task at hand: mixing, not mastering.

Your bass sounds quite dead and loud there in the middle. I wonder how the kick and bass would lock if you transposed everything (minus the kick and any percussion instruments of course) one semitone down. The bass also sounds on the loud side, same with the kick, but maybe only a little.

I wonder what you can bring out around 4 kHz that needs more presence. Maybe the first lead synth you introduce that's also playing at the end. I just find the master a little shy here.

I'll try out your suggestions and let you know I get along.

I do see what you mean about the bass in the middle though.

Atlantis_AR wrote:

For the rest the mix is OK, so well done. I would just work on making your instruments sound better with some good processors as it all sounds very 'cold' and 'thin', as opposed to 'warm' and 'fat'.

What kind of processing can result in 'warmer' and 'fatter' sounds? Although I suppose I should be asking what constitutes a 'warm' and 'fat' sound. If you presented me with two timbres, one 'cold' and 'thin', and the other 'warm' and 'fat', I'm pretty sure I'd be able to tell which was which, but I'm not sure I could tell you why I think that. Does that make sense?

Anyways, thanks once again. It's truly appreciated.