Users online: 0

Guests online: 108
Total online: 108
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I produce?  |   Page 28 of 30 | Jump To >> | Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
The Work In Progress thread
Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 20 September 2010 - 11:55:37 (538)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

choski2 wrote:
Not sure if I'm on the right track...

I'm sorry to say, but no. The mixing sounds aweful. I wouldn't even know where to start giving advice other than to reduce the volume and to EQ the frequencies out of instruments that aren't needed or overlap into another instruments' frequency space.

choski2
PostPosted: 20 September 2010 - 11:59:52 (541)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Atlantis_AR wrote:
choski2 wrote:
Not sure if I'm on the right track...

I'm sorry to say, but no. The mixing sounds aweful. I wouldn't even know where to start giving advice other than to reduce the volume and to EQ the frequencies out of instruments that aren't needed or overlap into another instruments' frequency space.

OK, thanks.

Here's a noob question. With compressing and EQing, are we supposed to apply them to each individual sound/instrument's fx channel or to the master channel, or both? I'm using fruity loops.
Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 20 September 2010 - 12:17:10 (553)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

choski2 wrote:
Here's a noob question. With compressing and EQing, are we supposed to apply them to each individual sound/instrument's fx channel or to the master channel, or both? I'm using fruity loops.

You don't have to do anything. If you can mix without any EQ or compression then by all means do, but they can help you fix problems, or for creative use and so forth. You just have to know that EQ changes the frequency content of a sound, whereas compression controls the dynamics, and so apply things accordingly when you need them. Usually that will mean every instrument will need at least some form of processing, while the master should usually be left alone, unless you really know what you're doing. My advice is always to keep the master channel clean and make sure the highest peak of your mixdown is at least 3 dB below clipping. You can then later master the mixdown, but this is not something you should be worried about at this stage.

choski2
PostPosted: 20 September 2010 - 14:06:56 (629)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Atlantis_AR wrote:
choski2 wrote:

You don't have to do anything. If you can mix without any EQ or compression then by all means do, but they can help you fix problems, or for creative use and so forth. You just have to know that EQ changes the frequency content of a sound, whereas compression controls the dynamics, and so apply things accordingly when you need them. Usually that will mean every instrument will need at least some form of processing, while the master should usually be left alone, unless you really know what you're doing. My advice is always to keep the master channel clean and make sure the highest peak of your mixdown is at least 3 dB below clipping. You can then later master the mixdown, but this is not something you should be worried about at this stage.

Ah, I see. Thanks. Can you listen to this and tell me if there's any improvement from the previous version?

http://www.zshare.net/audio/80595679a26f6e8f/
Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 20 September 2010 - 14:55:09 (663)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

choski2 wrote:
Ah, I see. Thanks. Can you listen to this and tell me if there's any improvement from the previous version?

Your kick really doesn't sound much like a kick. There's a lot of ~200 Hz for starters, but it sounds like you've applied some strange reverb. Same with the claps.

The delay on the bass is just too severe, and it doesn't blend well with the kick.

The open hat just doesn't seem to fit either.

And the bass at 0:57 just sounds like a blur of bass frequencies that doesn't fit in with anything else. Plus the level of 28 Hz is now too high if the bass is playing an A, otherwise 26 Hz if it's playing a G#. It's very important to roll off the sub frequencies you don't need.

I don't even want to go further into the mix as it's one problem after another, but it is sounding a bit better now. Just lower the master volume a bit more and try to get the instruments to blend well together. The first step is to choose the right instruments. The second to remove the frequencies you don't need with EQ, and sometimes to boost those that you do need.

choski2
PostPosted: 20 September 2010 - 21:23:15 (932)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Atlantis_AR wrote:
choski2 wrote:

Your kick really doesn't sound much like a kick. There's a lot of ~200 Hz for starters, but it sounds like you've applied some strange reverb. Same with the claps.

The delay on the bass is just too severe, and it doesn't blend well with the kick.

The open hat just doesn't seem to fit either.

And the bass at 0:57 just sounds like a blur of bass frequencies that doesn't fit in with anything else. Plus the level of 28 Hz is now too high if the bass is playing an A, otherwise 26 Hz if it's playing a G#. It's very important to roll off the sub frequencies you don't need.

I don't even want to go further into the mix as it's one problem after another, but it is sounding a bit better now. Just lower the master volume a bit more and try to get the instruments to blend well together. The first step is to choose the right instruments. The second to remove the frequencies you don't need with EQ, and sometimes to boost those that you do need.

Ok, thanks a lot! How do you know if a bassline blends well with the kick?
d4chris
PostPosted: 20 September 2010 - 21:58:37 (957)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Hey guys,

I just upped something I did in the last 2 days. Its not really a track net, merely a blueprint because I did absolutely no arrangment yet, just worked on the sound so far.
Now I wonder what you think of it, what could be done, what should maybe left out.

It's only my 2nd track btw :P

http://www.box.net/shared/7rbomk97l1

Last edited by d4chris on 21 September 2010 - 18:42:13 (820); edited 1 time in total
choski2
PostPosted: 20 September 2010 - 23:18:10 (012)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

choski2 wrote:

Worked on it some more. New version.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/8061122631183537/
Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 21 September 2010 - 11:32:20 (522)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

choski2 wrote:
Ok, thanks a lot! How do you know if a bassline blends well with the kick?

When they sound "good" together. I know that's subjective, but you'll have to listen to it accurately and hear how the frequencies overlap. It helps to analyse both tracks and make note of the key frequencies, then EQ as needed.

Atlantis_AR
PostPosted: 21 September 2010 - 14:14:33 (635)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

choski2 wrote:

Are you sure this is the best kick you've got? It sounds like it's playing in a bathtub or submarine. Also the hat at the beginning sounds lifeless and artificial; there's too much bass in it for starters. The clap also doesn't sound good to my ears.

Then comes the bass which you seem to have panned left with a delay on the right. The open hat, again, has too much bass and sticks out too much. Then comes a second bass which doesn't fit at all. It's like you're trying to add two similar instruments, which just doesn't work. The vocal at 1:40 is far too loud. You then continue to add instruments that I really can't say I like. Only the breakdown is nice. Very nice in fact. Only the bass at 3:22 doesn't fit in. Try lowering the lower mids on it as there's a fair amount of sub and I think that's where it belongs - not into the lower mids as it does now.
Atlantis_AR is building a new DAW.
Arey
PostPosted: 21 September 2010 - 20:51:29 (910)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Choski2, could you register on Soundcloud, or box.net? Please, 'cause i'd like to fast forward into the song, and i can't on this page. I think you'd be better off on Soundcloud anyways happy
choski2
PostPosted: 22 September 2010 - 01:00:01 (083)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Atlantis_AR wrote:
choski2 wrote:

Are you sure this is the best kick you've got? It sounds like it's playing in a bathtub or submarine. Also the hat at the beginning sounds lifeless and artificial; there's too much bass in it for starters. The clap also doesn't sound good to my ears.

Then comes the bass which you seem to have panned left with a delay on the right. The open hat, again, has too much bass and sticks out too much. Then comes a second bass which doesn't fit at all. It's like you're trying to add two similar instruments, which just doesn't work. The vocal at 1:40 is far too loud. You then continue to add instruments that I really can't say I like. Only the breakdown is nice. Very nice in fact. Only the bass at 3:22 doesn't fit in. Try lowering the lower mids on it as there's a fair amount of sub and I think that's where it belongs - not into the lower mids as it does now.

Eek. Ok, thanks a lot for the critiques and advice! I'll try to work on it. I'm not very good with kicks. I don't really have much of an idea of what makes a good-sounding kick and I don't know how I would achieve it either. The bass that sounds like it's panned left and with a delay on the right is a preset. I'm not sure how I could fix it...

Arey wrote:
Choski2, could you register on Soundcloud, or box.net? Please, 'cause i'd like to fast forward into the song, and i can't on this page. I think you'd be better off on Soundcloud anyways happy

Oh ok, I'll put it up on Soundcloud later. happy I tried to right now, but the site is down right now.
choski2
PostPosted: 22 September 2010 - 13:04:48 (586)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Arey wrote:

Here's the Souncloud link. happy

http://soundcloud.com/artist1234/christina-aguilera-you-lost-me-beach-one-trance-remix-mix-5
Arey
PostPosted: 22 September 2010 - 14:00:39 (625)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

The reverb on the vocals is way off. It makes her sound like she's singing inside a small box.
Try lenghtening it.
choski2
PostPosted: 22 September 2010 - 15:57:47 (706)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

^ Ok, thanks. Might have a new version up later today or tomorrow.