Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  Dj equipment  |   Page 1 of 1 | Jump To >> |
CDJ-1000 waveform question
LiqUidCandE
PostPosted: 01 August 2010 - 16:38:05 (734)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

can anyone who has a CDJ-1000 (mk1) tell me how accurate the waveform is please.

im finding it very useful knowing when to bring the next track in by reading the wave of the track currently playing, but i've heard the waveform isnt very accurate (compared to that of virtual mixing software)?

thanks
Jezper
PostPosted: 01 August 2010 - 17:39:04 (777)  Reply with quote
Trance.nu Retired Mascot

How about knowing the music you play? happy

Anyway, I haven't had any problems with the display.
Jezper & Tommie just launched a swedish tech podcast. Check it out: http://www.slashat.se
LiqUidCandE
PostPosted: 01 August 2010 - 17:48:19 (783)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

i think i know most of my collection pretty well.. but seeing how i've got more than 20,000 tracks its pretty useful, especially if i forget them, or play a track which is tricky to mix out more than usual.

thanks for your reply, but i dont understand the point in cocky replies tut tut happy
djzakquiney
PostPosted: 01 August 2010 - 19:00:20 (833)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

The 'waveform' is basically a bunch of blocks on a dot matrix display so it's a rough guide but I don't usually use it. It's better resolution than the CDJ800s but nowhere near as clear as the CDJ2000s.

If you're looking for a new forum to migrate to, why not join the fallout from the old Anjunabeats forum in our new home...?

www.unjunaforum.com

See you there happy
LiqUidCandE
PostPosted: 01 August 2010 - 19:04:53 (836)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

thanks
blazeo
PostPosted: 01 August 2010 - 21:47:31 (949)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Don't really look @ it that much...

LiqUidCandE
PostPosted: 01 August 2010 - 21:54:20 (954)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

oh right. thanks for sharing that uhm_negative
avenna
PostPosted: 02 August 2010 - 01:47:05 (116)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

preedit your tracks that they start 2 bars before you mix into them. you cant miss. tis the way i do it wink those which you plan to use as an intro make two copies, one dited, and one not ;D
LiqUidCandE
PostPosted: 02 August 2010 - 02:04:47 (128)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

for example.....

today i was mixing a track into thomas bronzwaer - collider... but started the next track too early by accident..

listen on 4 mins 30 secs. it sounds as if the beat will come back on 4 mins 56 secs, but it doesnt. an easy mistake to make considering ive not played this track many times.

[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSC07kNHT7c&feature=related[/youtube]
andYMkIII
PostPosted: 02 August 2010 - 03:56:27 (205)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I don't know this particular track, but I totally get what you mean, I've often thought of creating an own topic for this in the "This makes me mad" subforum... seriously, why do producers sometimes add one or two additional bars towards the ending of a track cop/admin This sucks...

And sometimes it gets really ridiculous, like with Pedro del Mar's Remix of Sunlounger feat. Zara Taylor - Found. There one extra bar one minute before the ending of the track! angry smilie WHAT-THE-FUDGE?!

Anyway, imo you don't really need the waveform, know your tracks and if you're not sure just jump towards the ending, see if it has additional bars, and there you go. Usually you have lots of time during mixing anyway, so pose a little less, and listen to the track you wanna mix in careful. When do hihats, claps, etc. come in, are there any things to pay attention to towards the ending of the track and so on.

a'ndY pres. Entrancing Melodies on DiscoverTrance
Next Episode: Oct 4, 18 CET
andYMkIII R.I.P. trance.nu, thanks for everything, I had a great time here :,(
tubby
PostPosted: 02 August 2010 - 08:44:18 (405)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

djzakquiney wrote:
The 'waveform' is basically a bunch of blocks on a dot matrix display so it's a rough guide but I don't usually use it. It's better resolution than the CDJ800s but nowhere near as clear as the CDJ2000s.

well it would be better than the 800 as the 800 has no wave display. it has a progress meter through the track, but no indication of levels.
the 1000's display will help pick out breakdowns but that's about it, it won't help pick when the melody ends and the track just goes to beats until it ends or the like, and is nowhere near as details as a DVS wave display
LiqUidCandE
PostPosted: 02 August 2010 - 13:58:46 (624)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

tubby wrote:
DVS wave display

whats that?
skylite
PostPosted: 02 August 2010 - 21:55:30 (955)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Jezper wrote:
How about knowing the music you play? happy

+1

And if you need a little guiding, add some notes to your track titles. Like when the bass drops in, vocal cuts, cutoff points, etc..

for instance with the track you youtubed, I would label like this

\ Thomas Bronzwaer - Collider (JvD Rmx) (CUTOFF @ 1:25)

The first mark tells me that the song is somewhat slower or takes the energy down. Then at the end, I have a guide that lets me know that I have to completely cutoff the other song I'm mixing out of by 1:25 on the TB song.

heres another example..

Youtube link

I would label this track as follows

/ Sidney Samson - The World Is Yours (1:31) (CUTOFF @ 2:01)

The first mark tells me that the song will bring the energy up. The end tells me that the bass will drop in at 1:31 and to cutoff the previous track by 2:01 on the Samson track.

The reason I would say the bass drops at 1:31 instead of 0:46 is because of that 15 second break at 1:16. But its all up to how you mix, to how you label your guidelines.

That shit can save your ass if you buy a lot of music every week, etc...