Guests online: 62
Total online: 62
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  Dj equipment  |   Page 1 of 1 | Jump To >> |
Akai APC40 - Ableton Software to use for DJ'ing?
manixdj
PostPosted: 07 July 2010 - 02:22:20 (140)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Hi All,

Really need to sort out my DJ setup, currently only have a Stanton C314, Beringer DJX700 and a PC! I am looking to maybe go all computer based, I currently only DJ in my bedroom, I download all my music now and therefore feel this is the way forward. Plus I have always wanted to have a bit of a LIVE vibe in my sets, so thinking about Ableton with a APC40?

The APC40 looks pretty wicked and would also be useful with production, but what level Ableton software should I go with? Stick with what comes with the APC which I assume is Ableton Lite (which I am informed is the same as intro) OR fork out for Live 8?

Initially this will be used to take my music collection and do some chopping and changing, sly remixes, that kind of thing, but also maybe introduce some loops and samples of my own.

In the future I may use the production features more heavily but really just want the ability to mix and remix at first. So should I stick with lite? I have looked at the comparison charts on Ableton's website but really looking for your views and experience.

Is it the route to go anyway, I can't really afford to buy CDJ1000's and I feel this would be a much more exciting project then a couple of turntables, even with their new features.

Ta,

PostPosted: 07 July 2010 - 09:44:53 (447)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I bought an APC about 2 months ago and absolutely love it! What your best bet would be is to just install the version of Live that comes with the APC package then upgrade to Ableton Live 8, the normal edition, this will one, save you about $200 because your upgrading not buying it completely. And two, I think think its better because the full version of Live has more capabilities than just the APC version, I think theres only like 2 send functions and a maximum of 80 Clips.

Hope this helps happy

PostPosted: 07 July 2010 - 16:15:05 (718)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

tiLberede wrote:
I bought an APC about 2 months ago and absolutely love it! What your best bet would be is to just install the version of Live that comes with the APC package then upgrade to Ableton Live 8, the normal edition, this will one, save you about $200 because your upgrading not buying it completely. And two, I think think its better because the full version of Live has more capabilities than just the APC version, I think theres only like 2 send functions and a maximum of 80 Clips.

Hope this helps happy

Thanks for that, it helps me but not my bank balance! I may get the APC first , have a play and then upgrade like you suggest.

The APC looks like a really nice bit of kit can't wait to get my hands on one, though not sure where I am going to put it and the missus probably won't appreicate more of my "crap" clogging up our bedroom!