Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  Producing equipment  |   Page 1 of 1 | Jump To >> |
How to properly setup a sub and what levels to curl to
Igneous01
PostPosted: 26 June 2010 - 21:23:00 (932)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

ok so i bought myself a krk 10s today, and i want some advice on how to set it up and position for maximum clarity in low end without many environmental impacts (such as a boomy res in the room, shaking, etc etc)

first:

whats a good position to place the woofer? is it okay to put it just under my feet knowing that bass is non directional?

second: for trance, and any edm, what should i set the crossover too? the place where i bought told me to set the low pass filter to 115 hz for the sub, but i found that it just has too much boomy resonance and mucks up any track i play with decent bass on it.

and second, the levels between the monitors and the sub? im currently on 0db for the monitors and -6db for the sub, anymore and the mids and highs are completed masked by the subs boom (then again it is under my feet)

anyone have any tips? preferably anyone thats worked in a professional studio or has setup stuff like this?

thanks
Igneous01 trance is alot like soccer.... greatness only happens once every 4 years...96-00-04-08
Alx_losy
PostPosted: 27 June 2010 - 01:02:44 (085)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Igneous01 wrote:
ok so i bought myself a krk 10s today, and i want some advice on how to set it up and position for maximum clarity in low end without many environmental impacts (such as a boomy res in the room, shaking, etc etc)

first:

whats a good position to place the woofer? is it okay to put it just under my feet knowing that bass is non directional?

second: for trance, and any edm, what should i set the crossover too? the place where i bought told me to set the low pass filter to 115 hz for the sub, but i found that it just has too much boomy resonance and mucks up any track i play with decent bass on it.

and second, the levels between the monitors and the sub? im currently on 0db for the monitors and -6db for the sub, anymore and the mids and highs are completed masked by the subs boom (then again it is under my feet)

anyone have any tips? preferably anyone thats worked in a professional studio or has setup stuff like this?

thanks

First of all, bass floods, so as long as it's relatively central (i.e. not way out west) you'll be fine. Even slightly off centre is fine (unless you have OCD).

Second, I agree that 115hz is more of a default crossover point. I think it's ideal. The reason you have your sub too 'boomy' is because you probably haven't adjusted it according to the relative monitor levels. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule in this respect, so adjust as you feel fit.
Alx_losy If the cat is out of the bag, what can you do?!
djandymac
PostPosted: 30 June 2010 - 18:35:51 (816)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

i use a sub tpp, i cant remember exactly how much lower my sub is in relations to my monitors as i cant get behind my sub without getting on my hands and knees lol. but i know i have my monitors at the 0 db position with the high pass filter at 100 Hz and my sub woofer's dial is set at the 9 o clock position with the low pass filter at 100 Hz. i played a few tracks through them and they sounded right.