Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  Producing equipment  |   Page 1 of 1 | Jump To >> |
Need a professional mixer
TiestoCorsten
PostPosted: 22 June 2010 - 22:29:53 (979)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

My new studio desk is coming in tomorrow and I finally feel like my studio is coming together nicely. Within the next few weeks I'll be purchasing a Virus, and then later maybe a Nord Lead, so I'll need a mixer. I want to keep the price at $500 (preferably less) and I want it to be 24 bit. I considered the Apogee Duet, but it lacks in input/outputs. Anyone suggest a professional mixer?
Macker
PostPosted: 23 June 2010 - 02:28:46 (144)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Well the apogee duet is an audio interface not a mixer, and your situation could require either. So which is it that you want?

I'm going to assume audio interface seeing as you found the duet as an option:

MOTU Ultralite MK3

Steinberg MR816

E-MU 1616m

Focusrite Sapphire Pro

Intel Q6600 | 4GB Crucial Balistix RAM | Nvidia XFX GeForce 8800 GTS | 1TB+ Storage | MOTU 828MKII | Presonus Tube Pre | Rode NT1a | SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 | Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 | Novation KS Rack | Cubase 5 | Reason 3
Macker Goodbye trance.nu. You shall be missed
tiLberede
PostPosted: 23 June 2010 - 09:42:14 (445)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Focusrite FTW! I have the Saffire Pro 24 (not the DSP version though) and I love it, the only thing you need to have though is Firewire for it, which I'm guessing you have considering you want the Apogee anyways. I have no latency problems or buffer problems on it, yet. And they, I think are modestly priced depending on what you want. I have heard a lot of good things from the Apogee series as well but they are just so much money, but if you have it go for it.

PostPosted: 23 June 2010 - 15:06:48 (671)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

If you're going to have multiple ins, you might also end up wanting more of them. It seems you like the idea of hardware so a MOTU system could be a good bet.

I use a 2408 system, you can have up to 4 of these 1U rack units giving you a huge amount of ins and outs for synths and other external hardware. I use 2 of the MK2's and a patchbay to route all my synths and outboard effects and i couldnt ask for a better setup. Each unit has 8 analogue ins and outs as well as TDIF and ADAT and SPDIF connections. Only thing its missing isa pre amp, if you need this perhaps an 828 would suffice.

You can pick up the MK2's for around 100-150 on ebay, unless you are really needing higher than 48KHz, which the MK3 does do, but at a price and not for a huge gain.

www.myspace.com/michaeldow
Michael Dow is available for studio bookings! [email protected]
TiestoCorsten
PostPosted: 24 June 2010 - 21:30:11 (937)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Thanks for all these responses, I'm going to check out these and get back to you all on what I decided on.

Macker- It doesn't really matter to me about whether it is an AI or a mixer. I currently have a NI Audio 8 for DJing, which I use for my KRK's when I'm at home, but the ins on the audio 8 are only USB.
TiestoCorsten
PostPosted: 28 June 2010 - 21:36:24 (941)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I really appreciate it guys, I went with the Saffire Pro 40. I won it this morning off eBay, brand new for $437 shipped (in the USA). I have the Studio RTA Creation Station Studio Desk, so this will go great on the rack mounts.

I'm excited to finally get phantom power. I've had a studio mic for a couple months now that I haven't been able to use. My girlfriend is a singer and we live together, so I'm hoping to get her recorded.

Thanks again for the help and I'll post pics of everything once it is hooked up and finished!
tiLberede
PostPosted: 28 June 2010 - 23:05:07 (003)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

TiestoCorsten wrote:
I really appreciate it guys, I went with the Saffire Pro 40. I won it this morning off eBay, brand new for $437 shipped (in the USA). I have the Studio RTA Creation Station Studio Desk, so this will go great on the rack mounts.

I'm excited to finally get phantom power. I've had a studio mic for a couple months now that I haven't been able to use. My girlfriend is a singer and we live together, so I'm hoping to get her recorded.

Thanks again for the help and I'll post pics of everything once it is hooked up and finished!

Saffire 1 - other guys 0, seems like you have a cool setup. I was looking at the same desk you have but I don't have any mountable hardware so it would look kind of dumb.

PostPosted: 29 June 2010 - 21:43:47 (947)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I feel ya, I wasn't planning on getting any rack mounts, I was just going to store things in the rack areas. For the price of this desk ($199 shipped from MusiciansFriend.com), it can't be beat!