Logged in as Guest, please register | 18 July 2019 - 14:16:05 (636) GMT 1
Users online: 0
 
 
Guests online: 78
Total online: 78
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification
Messages
Messages
 
Latest Topics
<  This makes me mad!  |   Page 1 of 1 | Jump To >> |
Bands like The Velvet Underground, Television, The Yardbirds
RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 15 April 2010 - 22:38:52 (985)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 66.40
Posts: 9178
...why the hell do people always say they were so great and influential and bla bla bla? You can't have a 2 minute conversation about punk music without those three bands coming up and everybody worshipping them when it's damn obvious to anybody with ears that they had nothing to do with anything...The Yardbirds were just another boring British blues-rock crap factory that really didn't do anything original...Television was just an East Coast version of Steve Miller Band who, again, really did nothing original, and the Velvet Underground was just druggie garbage wrapped in an "art" package...none of those bands really sound any different than any other band that came up the same time as they did, nor do they really sound any different than the bands/artists they claim to have been influenced by, so why in the hell are they always considered to be such gods!?

angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie IT MAKES ME MAD BECAUSE ALL THREE OF THEM SUCK AND THE BANDS THAT REALLY WERE ORIGINAL, CREATIVE, AND DIFFERENT IN THAT TIME PERIOD ALWAYS GET THE SHAFT AND HISTORY HAS ALMOST ENTIRELY FORGOTTEN THEM, IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!! angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie

Oh yeah, and Pink Floyd too...they suck now, sucked then, and have ALWAYS been overrated as all hell.
Back to top
RichardClairemont Adios amigos
querenboli
PostPosted: 15 April 2010 - 23:34:23 (023)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 67.05
Posts: 13255
RichardClairemont wrote:


Oh yeah, and Pink Floyd too...they suck now, sucked then, and have ALWAYS been overrated as all hell.





wow no no no

_________________

GDJB Chair Dancers Alliance
Back to top
querenboli Ready for Electric Zoo!!!!!
WebmaN
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 01:15:21 (093)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 101.35
Posts: 12759
give some examples of bands that WERE new and doing groundbreaking stuff during the same age as the velvet underground.

_________________

whining old men alliance we're all pro
Back to top
WebmaN is
RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 01:21:01 (097)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 66.40
Posts: 9178
WebmaN wrote:
give some examples of bands that WERE new and doing groundbreaking stuff during the same age as the velvet underground.


Jefferson Airplane, The Ventures (almost even a decade before The Velvet Underground), The Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, The Zombies...all of those bands and artists pre-date Velvet Underground and were infinitely more creative. The only reason anybody even noticed VU was because Andy Warhol was screwing half the band. Take away his endorsement and they wouldn't even have been a blip on the radar.
Back to top
RichardClairemont Adios amigos
WebmaN
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 01:32:03 (105)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 101.35
Posts: 12759
RichardClairemont wrote:
WebmaN wrote:
give some examples of bands that WERE new and doing groundbreaking stuff during the same age as the velvet underground.


Jefferson Airplane, The Ventures (almost even a decade before The Velvet Underground), The Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, The Zombies...all of those bands and artists pre-date Velvet Underground and were infinitely more creative. The only reason anybody even noticed VU was because Andy Warhol was screwing half the band. Take away his endorsement and they wouldn't even have been a blip on the radar.

probably yes, but i do dig their stuff from their warhol period. and it is pretty groundbreaking what happened. it started up a whole scene, inspired a lot of artists and bands like david bowie, pink floyd, deep purple etc. you can't say that the velvet undergrounds warhol period with nico was nothing then just a bunch of druggies slamming some spaced out shit. also their performances were groundbreaking with those visuals and stuff.

_________________

whining old men alliance we're all pro
Back to top
WebmaN is
WebmaN
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 01:34:06 (107)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 101.35
Posts: 12759
btw. do you really think that Jefferson Airplane, The Ventures, The Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan and The Zombies are so underrated?

_________________

whining old men alliance we're all pro
Back to top
WebmaN is
blazeo
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 02:40:06 (152)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 61.00
Posts: 3836
querenboli wrote:
RichardClairemont wrote:


Oh yeah, and Pink Floyd too...they suck now, sucked then, and have ALWAYS been overrated as all hell.





wow no no no


+1 Kim!

_________________
WMC here we go!
Back to top
blazeo is sad that Trance.Nu is going down!
Trancekid404
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 02:44:36 (155)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 52.75
Posts: 1315
the beatles is most crap! sleepy
Back to top
jonilj
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 03:53:16 (203)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 166.35
Posts: 3955
I have to agree with WebmaN on this. As he said they inspired a lot of other bands that have since become household names and inspired others on their own. And I doubt anyone thinks of Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, Jefferson Airplane etc. as non-influencal. They have been influental in different ways in different genres. People living "in it" at the time would probably know it best though, there are some very interesting documentarys on both the folkmovement and the rise of psychadelic music (from Velvet Underground to Pink Floyd to Bowie to...).

Other than that, of all the bands mentioned so far in this thread I can't say a single of them are/were bad, I actually like them all. And I'm a huge S&G fan, Paul Simon is a first class songwriter and a magician with words (something that the music world somewhat misses today in my opinion). I wish more people would appriciate well written lyrics today.

_________________
Joni Ljungqvist / LNQ / JPL / A Boy Called Joni
Ljungqvist / Joni pres. | Info here:

www.jpl-music.com
www.myspace.com/joniljungqvist
Back to top
QWERTY.
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 04:17:45 (220)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 77.25
Posts: 4657
jonilj wrote:

Other than that, of all the bands mentioned so far in this thread I can't say a single of them are/were bad, I actually like them all. And I'm a huge S&G fan, Paul Simon is a first class songwriter and a magician with words (something that the music world somewhat misses today in my opinion). I wish more people would appriciate well written lyrics today.


+1

Simon & Garfunkel's lyrics are sooooo awesome.
For example, Punky's Dilemma's lyrics are hilarious yet the song itself is so mellow and awesome (one of my favourite track by them).

_________________


I like my sugar with coffee and cream.
Back to top
QWERTY. Miss you tnu :(
RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 05:37:24 (275)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 66.40
Posts: 9178
People think of the artists I mentioned as groundbreaking and influential because they are, but the Velvet Underground was neither of those things. They weren't groundbreaking and they really weren't all that influential in the grand scheme of things since most bands in their style evolved from what came before them.

What the Velvet Underground is is a conversation piece to be dropped in order to up one's "leet" factor in musical discussions, even though it generally has nothing to do with the music you're talking about. I've heard people talking about Green Day and saying how you can soooo hear VU in Billy Joe's guitar work, it's such pretentious crap that wasn't even that good to begin with and really wasn't even anything new or original, but (as mentioned), because of their association with an underground popstar artist, they're the "cool" band to have been influenced by so everyone loves to prattle on about them endlessly, it's just stupid.

And Webbie, I'm not saying any of the artists I mentioned were underrated, I'm just saying that (save Dylan), you probably won't hear their names come up half as often in music discussions as you will with VU, and that's ridiculous.
Back to top
RichardClairemont Adios amigos
Janssen
PostPosted: 21 April 2010 - 22:16:37 (969)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 5.05
Posts: 179
WebmaN wrote:
btw. do you really think that Jefferson Airplane, The Ventures, The Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan and The Zombies are so underrated?


Bob Dylan is probably the most overrated musician in the history of mankind...
Back to top
Janssen hesa
RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 22 April 2010 - 02:26:08 (143)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 66.40
Posts: 9178
Janssen wrote:
WebmaN wrote:
btw. do you really think that Jefferson Airplane, The Ventures, The Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan and The Zombies are so underrated?


Bob Dylan is probably the most overrated musician in the history of mankind...


Not as bad as Bob Marley and John Lennon though
Back to top
RichardClairemont Adios amigos
Gee Tee Age
PostPosted: 22 April 2010 - 02:27:29 (144)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 29.90
Posts: 2080
RichardClairemont wrote:
Janssen wrote:
WebmaN wrote:
btw. do you really think that Jefferson Airplane, The Ventures, The Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan and The Zombies are so underrated?


Bob Dylan is probably the most overrated musician in the history of mankind...


Not as bad as Bob Marley and John Lennon though
True, but how bout Armin and Tiesto?

_________________
Thats the reason I'm so full of myself - my music is amazing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3BlGVGF_LE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxUJpzX_keA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nl0rJq6oJA
Back to top
Gee Tee Age El Gato Rapido
RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 23 April 2010 - 23:48:18 (033)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Karma: 66.40
Posts: 9178
Gee Tee Age wrote:
RichardClairemont wrote:
Janssen wrote:
WebmaN wrote:
btw. do you really think that Jefferson Airplane, The Ventures, The Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan and The Zombies are so underrated?


Bob Dylan is probably the most overrated musician in the history of mankind...


Not as bad as Bob Marley and John Lennon though
True, but how bout Armin and Tiesto?


As overrated as all of them are, I wouldn't even come close to putting Tiesto and Armin in the same league as being as overrated as the other ones.

Oh yea, and I forgot to say Jimi Hendrix too...wanna talk about overrated, he's a great place to start.
Back to top
RichardClairemont Adios amigos
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT + 4 Hours

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1 | Click to jump to page >>
trance.nu Forum Index  |  This makes me mad!

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 



Powered by phpBB