Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  This makes me mad!  |   Page 1 of 1 | Jump To >> |
Bands like The Velvet Underground, Television, The Yardbirds
RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 15 April 2010 - 22:38:52 (985)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

...why the hell do people always say they were so great and influential and bla bla bla? You can't have a 2 minute conversation about punk music without those three bands coming up and everybody worshipping them when it's damn obvious to anybody with ears that they had nothing to do with anything...The Yardbirds were just another boring British blues-rock crap factory that really didn't do anything original...Television was just an East Coast version of Steve Miller Band who, again, really did nothing original, and the Velvet Underground was just druggie garbage wrapped in an "art" package...none of those bands really sound any different than any other band that came up the same time as they did, nor do they really sound any different than the bands/artists they claim to have been influenced by, so why in the hell are they always considered to be such gods!?

angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie IT MAKES ME MAD BECAUSE ALL THREE OF THEM SUCK AND THE BANDS THAT REALLY WERE ORIGINAL, CREATIVE, AND DIFFERENT IN THAT TIME PERIOD ALWAYS GET THE SHAFT AND HISTORY HAS ALMOST ENTIRELY FORGOTTEN THEM, IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!! angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie angry smilie

Oh yeah, and Pink Floyd too...they suck now, sucked then, and have ALWAYS been overrated as all hell.
RichardClairemont Adios amigos
querenboli
PostPosted: 15 April 2010 - 23:34:23 (023)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

RichardClairemont wrote:

Oh yeah, and Pink Floyd too...they suck now, sucked then, and have ALWAYS been overrated as all hell.

wow no no no

GDJB Chair Dancers Alliance
querenboli Ready for Electric Zoo!!!!!
WebmaN
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 01:15:21 (093)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

give some examples of bands that WERE new and doing groundbreaking stuff during the same age as the velvet underground.

whining old men alliance we're all pro
WebmaN is
RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 01:21:01 (097)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

WebmaN wrote:
give some examples of bands that WERE new and doing groundbreaking stuff during the same age as the velvet underground.

Jefferson Airplane, The Ventures (almost even a decade before The Velvet Underground), The Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, The Zombies...all of those bands and artists pre-date Velvet Underground and were infinitely more creative. The only reason anybody even noticed VU was because Andy Warhol was screwing half the band. Take away his endorsement and they wouldn't even have been a blip on the radar.
WebmaN
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 01:32:03 (105)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

RichardClairemont wrote:
WebmaN wrote:

Jefferson Airplane, The Ventures (almost even a decade before The Velvet Underground), The Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, The Zombies...all of those bands and artists pre-date Velvet Underground and were infinitely more creative. The only reason anybody even noticed VU was because Andy Warhol was screwing half the band. Take away his endorsement and they wouldn't even have been a blip on the radar.

probably yes, but i do dig their stuff from their warhol period. and it is pretty groundbreaking what happened. it started up a whole scene, inspired a lot of artists and bands like david bowie, pink floyd, deep purple etc. you can't say that the velvet undergrounds warhol period with nico was nothing then just a bunch of druggies slamming some spaced out shit. also their performances were groundbreaking with those visuals and stuff.

WebmaN is
WebmaN
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 01:34:06 (107)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

btw. do you really think that Jefferson Airplane, The Ventures, The Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan and The Zombies are so underrated?

WebmaN is
blazeo
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 02:40:06 (152)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

querenboli wrote:
RichardClairemont wrote:

wow no no no

+1 Kim!

Trancekid404
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 02:44:36 (155)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

the beatles is most crap! sleepy
jonilj
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 03:53:16 (203)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I have to agree with WebmaN on this. As he said they inspired a lot of other bands that have since become household names and inspired others on their own. And I doubt anyone thinks of Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, Jefferson Airplane etc. as non-influencal. They have been influental in different ways in different genres. People living "in it" at the time would probably know it best though, there are some very interesting documentarys on both the folkmovement and the rise of psychadelic music (from Velvet Underground to Pink Floyd to Bowie to...).

Other than that, of all the bands mentioned so far in this thread I can't say a single of them are/were bad, I actually like them all. And I'm a huge S&G fan, Paul Simon is a first class songwriter and a magician with words (something that the music world somewhat misses today in my opinion). I wish more people would appriciate well written lyrics today.

www.jpl-music.com
www.myspace.com/joniljungqvist
QWERTY.
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 04:17:45 (220)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

jonilj wrote:

Other than that, of all the bands mentioned so far in this thread I can't say a single of them are/were bad, I actually like them all. And I'm a huge S&G fan, Paul Simon is a first class songwriter and a magician with words (something that the music world somewhat misses today in my opinion). I wish more people would appriciate well written lyrics today.

+1

Simon & Garfunkel's lyrics are sooooo awesome.
For example, Punky's Dilemma's lyrics are hilarious yet the song itself is so mellow and awesome (one of my favourite track by them).

I like my sugar with coffee and cream.
QWERTY. Miss you tnu :(
RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 16 April 2010 - 05:37:24 (275)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

People think of the artists I mentioned as groundbreaking and influential because they are, but the Velvet Underground was neither of those things. They weren't groundbreaking and they really weren't all that influential in the grand scheme of things since most bands in their style evolved from what came before them.

What the Velvet Underground is is a conversation piece to be dropped in order to up one's "leet" factor in musical discussions, even though it generally has nothing to do with the music you're talking about. I've heard people talking about Green Day and saying how you can soooo hear VU in Billy Joe's guitar work, it's such pretentious crap that wasn't even that good to begin with and really wasn't even anything new or original, but (as mentioned), because of their association with an underground popstar artist, they're the "cool" band to have been influenced by so everyone loves to prattle on about them endlessly, it's just stupid.

And Webbie, I'm not saying any of the artists I mentioned were underrated, I'm just saying that (save Dylan), you probably won't hear their names come up half as often in music discussions as you will with VU, and that's ridiculous.
Janssen
PostPosted: 21 April 2010 - 22:16:37 (969)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

WebmaN wrote:
btw. do you really think that Jefferson Airplane, The Ventures, The Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan and The Zombies are so underrated?

Bob Dylan is probably the most overrated musician in the history of mankind...
Janssen hesa
RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 22 April 2010 - 02:26:08 (143)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Janssen wrote:
WebmaN wrote:

Not as bad as Bob Marley and John Lennon though
Gee Tee Age
PostPosted: 22 April 2010 - 02:27:29 (144)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

RichardClairemont wrote:
Janssen wrote:
WebmaN wrote:

True, but how bout Armin and Tiesto?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nl0rJq6oJA
Gee Tee Age El Gato Rapido
RichardClairemont
PostPosted: 23 April 2010 - 23:48:18 (033)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Gee Tee Age wrote:
RichardClairemont wrote:
Janssen wrote:
WebmaN wrote:

True, but how bout Armin and Tiesto?

As overrated as all of them are, I wouldn't even come close to putting Tiesto and Armin in the same league as being as overrated as the other ones.

Oh yea, and I forgot to say Jimi Hendrix too...wanna talk about overrated, he's a great place to start.