Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I produce?  |   Page 1 of 2 | Jump To >> | Goto page 1, 2  Next
Hardware recommendation
rusch
PostPosted: 11 November 2008 - 16:37:45 (734)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

For those of you who have, or are looking to acquire, hardware: this is your thread.

Owners - or users - of hardware, please recommend us your favourite units, along with the reasons you love them, areas of application, pros and cons, etc. The more detail, the better.

Potential buyers, consider this a place to read up on pieces you may or may not have considered. Please refrain from posting questions regarding units not yet recommended by users; questions in relation to already recommended hardware is of course welcome. Please browse the thread in full to see if your question has already been covered, so as to avoid any clutter.

http://www.christianrusch.comhttp://www.youtube.com/chrirus2006
rusch : Make today count.
Tommie
PostPosted: 11 November 2008 - 16:40:59 (736)  Reply with quote
T.nu HeadAdmin

Sticky!

Tommie moooo
djandymac
PostPosted: 20 November 2008 - 16:27:03 (727)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Novation remote 25 sl with automap universal. great for the sequencer mixer and vst control happy
Watts
PostPosted: 10 December 2008 - 19:57:58 (873)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

The JP-8080:

Synonymous with the word "supersaw", the JP-8080 is a rack mountable version of Roland's JP-8000 and is an ideal choice for those with little studio space looking to get into (or expand on) subtractive synthesis techniques.

All of the envelopes on the JP-8080 use sliders instead of knobs, and in my opinion, this is easier to visualize the shape and helps one predict what the outcome may be (most of patch design is going to be based on serendipity).

The synth comes with two oscillators -- osc 1 has six shapes (one is a feedback oscillator) and a noise generator; osc2 has has three shapes and a noise generator. LFOs can be routed to these oscillators, filters and certain waveshape PWMs; however, that is pretty much the extent of the JP-8080's modulation abilities (excluding the option to feed in external audio for the vocoder and a second LFO for the mod-wheel).

Sounds that can be had from the JP-8080 are reminiscent of old Junos and JXs as well as new sounds that are only possible due to its DSP technologies. My major qualm while working with this synth is it does not remember the position of the knobs and sliders when a new patch is initialized. This is extremely frustrating since I design all my patches from the ground up whenever starting on a new track -- only backing them up via SysEx to recall for previous projects. And if I hit a patch up, down, or recall button by mistake, most of that work is lost and needs to be recreated. A way around this, though, is to put the JP-8080 in preview mode as this mode turns the patch bank buttons into a keyboard (extremely useful for tapping out a few notes to see what the current patch sounds like). Patches cannot be accessed until the JP-8080 taken out of preview mode.

Considering its age (excusing it a bit from the lack of modulation options and the problem with patch initialization), the JP-8080 is a great piece of hardware that is not too complicated for a beginner to get a handle on subtractive synthesis and expressive enough for a pro to not feel limited.
MindSeeker
PostPosted: 30 December 2008 - 12:45:31 (573)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

djandymac wrote:
Novation remote 25 sl with automap universal. great for the sequencer mixer and vst control happy
i have the remote 37 sl...amazing piece of equip. Used to have lots of synths, but this baby is great with software and dont require lots of space.

If i would recommend a synth the choice would be moog little fatty its real analog mono with the warmest sound ive ever heard. tried it for an hour at the store. wow! A moog for the people.

JayB
PostPosted: 06 March 2009 - 04:00:36 (208)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Yamaha AN1x

One of the first virtual analog synths, but with an amazing sound quality. Very fast envelope curves, crisp filters, no aliasing. Good for analog sounding basses, pikes, leads and bells (FM and ringmod!).
Not too good for pads though, as the polyphony is limited to 10 notes and decreases when using unisono mode.

Sound Examples

Korg X5D

Digital synth form middle 90s. Not typical for trance music, as the presets are rather made for 90s pop and rock.
Great for warm and cold pads and alternative sounds. Also SuperSaw sounds are possible with some tweaking.
Not good for basses and plucks, as the sound is too digital and the envelope cuves aren't quick enough.

Sound Examples

Euphorbia
PostPosted: 21 March 2009 - 05:02:02 (251)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

M-Audio Oxygen 49

Easy to use and mid price . . .

And a flat headphone I think . . .
grin
Djalastor
PostPosted: 07 April 2009 - 18:02:12 (793)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I own an

Access Virus TI Keyboard
Roland JP-8080
Waldorf microQ

Here is a picture of my set-up:

JayB
PostPosted: 14 April 2009 - 17:58:29 (790)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Could you explain, why you recommend them, what they're good for etc.? That's the purpose of this thread.

JP06
PostPosted: 15 April 2009 - 14:15:49 (635)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

MindSeeker wrote:

If i would recommend a synth the choice would be moog little fatty

Looks sexy!

Among synths I've had is Roland JD-800:

The greatest hardware synth ever for lush pads. The sound tends to "stay back" in the mix, which is great if you use it for pads and any supporting melodies. Keyboard isn't that good, the keys tend to slide a bit sideways. But it's a problem only when playing something complex and fast. Needless to say, programming is heaven on earth.

From "staying back in the mix", quite the opposite is Waldorf Pulse:

Very "in-your-face" raw sound. Not very versatile though, and didn't like the hardware interface either. But it's a relatively cheap analog synth, if you're interested in one.

Ensoniq ASR-10:

Old, but very popular, great sounding hardware sampler. Still in use by popular beat-makers like Kanye West and Timbaland. Has Ensoniq's DP/4 effects processor included (great sounding effects). I use mine mostly as a MIDI-keyboard currently, because my ZIP-drive broke. Good keyboard too.
SinSonic
PostPosted: 25 April 2009 - 00:52:26 (078)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Roland XV series, own a 3080 my self. Grate for filling with pad,strings pianos and more that a VA or analog synth wont do.

Virus modells, greate for Leads and some fills.

Novation Supernova 2, greate for Bass sounds and some wicked leads and pads.

JP-8080 real nice for lead sounds.

Ry Thomas
PostPosted: 06 June 2009 - 19:40:32 (861)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Lexicon reverbs, anything that contains Lexichips(not MX200's etc)

shaneynclan
PostPosted: 07 June 2009 - 12:33:19 (564)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

the JP-8080 as many mentioned before are great for supersaws and pads, and can also make some real thick vintage basslines, along with making some good plucks and acid sounds.

I also own a Virus TI Desktop, which is essentially a workhorse for my productions.
with an intuitive vst-like control, multiple patch abilities and wide sonic range, the ability to assign vst's to two usb outputs, the and atomizer it's a must have for any EDM producer, but with a hefty price tag, you should try it out before you buy one if you can.

that's my piece.

I don't have a nord lead but I do have some hands on experience with them, and I'd recommend that you check them out in your local music store.
It's a fantastic synth, that creates some amazing pads, and some great rhodes and organic sounds.

pretty much anything by korg is gonna make some fatass basslines, and i have some experience using the little fatty, and that thing hums, and the low end is incredible and wide.
VanFearson
PostPosted: 30 August 2009 - 05:06:19 (254)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

For all of you that seek for that supersaw sounding hardware synthesizer and try to find a second hand JP-8000/8080, have a look at the SH-201.
It might look like a toy, but it's sound is very serious! happy
It only has 10 voices polyphony, but it is bitimbral.
Both its OSCs provide that Supersaw Waveform (Sawtooth + 7 more detuned voices), so those 10 voices get reeeeeally fat and there's no unison needed to decrease polyphony (doesn't have anyway lol)!
Very nice synth overall and fun to tweak... Bought mine for 480E.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/SH-201/index.html

thumbsup

WaveSound
PostPosted: 01 September 2009 - 01:19:12 (096)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

SH-201 I have one too. I buy it year ago for 590 euros. I am only disapointed
becuase of plastic knobs. But for this price this is mighty synth happy And there
is a Roland famous supersaw wich i like. I use it a lot like MIDI keys are also
great for playing. Not for pianist but great for tranceniac's cool

I already make some good songs with this one. cheers
WaveSound Kick,clap,hihat,bass,melody,pad,fx....:D