Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  How do I produce?  |   Page 1 of 3 | Jump To >> | Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Rules concerning remixes and dubs.
Eurohawk
PostPosted: 14 April 2008 - 12:48:40 (575)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Hey. I wrote this in another thread, but since there's a lot of unclarity about this, I thought the rest of you might get some use from it.

Bear in mind that theese rules count only for remixing, and a whole other set of rules comes into play when we are talking original content.
Do also bear in mind that not all of theese rules are taken as seriously as they are meant by 99% of the population of the music industry, however, if you want to be 100% on the safe side, or just have some general guidelines and information.

Again; this goes for REMIXES and so-called DUB'S.

1) You are allowed to use any melody (called dubbing) in your own track, or use any sample (called sampling) in your own track, or any theme (called remixing) - as long as this is solely for personal use.

2) You are allowed to use any sample in your track for commercial use, if you pay the correct royalties to the original owner.

3) You are allowed to release and distribute commercial remixes / dubs if you get the rights from the owner (as in, on a written piece of paper).

4) Bootlegs are a lame excuse, since the original meaning of a bootleg is making a remix of a track that is NOT meant for use, but as a request to the original artist to ask "See what i can do, can i make an actual remix of your track?"

-> In all it's simplicity, here are a few rules for you

You CAN share the track with friends and family (Mind this: Friends and Family. You should always be able to argue in court why people are your friends - therefore, random people doesn't count as friends), but they are not allowed to pass it on nor play it in front of others.
You CANNOT share the track with random people from trance.nu - also, this is considered commercial since you are actually "releasing" the track on a "public service" with a socalled CC-license (Do not flame me, I'm right)
You CANNOT share the track for commercial purposes
You CANNOT (and this includes the rest of you) play the track on a weekly podcast, radioshow, onlinestream etc.
You CANNOT put up the track on you page for streaming (as you do on myspace) - unless you have permission from nęb to do so. (This even means you are not allowed to have your OWN music on your OWN website, unless you fill out a formular and tell them so.) - Yes, again, i know nobody really cares bout it, and that it's done all the time, even i do it - but it's the actual rules.
You CAN give away - and use for commercial purposes - your track if it does not succeed 30seconds of length
You CANNOT sell it online or in private unless you have the proper permissions from the label or artist from which it was released

- Theese are the ACTUAL rules. Some A&R's, artists etc. take them a bit lightly, but however, if you REALLY want to make sure you have all your formalities straight, a email saying "Yes, you can use my melody" is simply not enough. I know alot do, and it probably wont mean much, but to be 110% bulletproof you need it on a written piece of paper.

I hope this simplifies it all abit. Again, I know this for fact, since its my job to do so.
You are welcome to decide on yourself which rules you take lightly, but you seemed very curious about the rules, and there they are.

- Oh, and btw - feel free to ask me questions regarding this topic, and I'll try to answer the best I can happy

Last edited by Eurohawk on 14 April 2008 - 17:49:20 (784); edited 2 times in total
Eurohawk - Unlit Unity to be released 01.01.09 on Birdsnest (Concepcion) - www.eurohawk.dk
djzakquiney
PostPosted: 14 April 2008 - 13:01:54 (584)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Err... thanks?

Doesn't seem to stop a lot of bootleg remixes somehow finding their way out, and I think the scene is a better place for it.

If you're looking for a new forum to migrate to, why not join the fallout from the old Anjunabeats forum in our new home...?

www.unjunaforum.com

See you there happy
Tommie
PostPosted: 14 April 2008 - 13:03:11 (585)  Reply with quote
T.nu HeadAdmin

Yep, alto its a bit of a grey area tbh. Somewhere i'd like to see unprofessional remixes as "Fan Remixes", something that's done without the intent to gain any commercial winning on it - except for possibly some shameless self promotion. Especially when it's done without any samples and just include the melody (dub).

But yes, everything you state above is true and i know that we, as trance.nu, do tend to ease the rules a bit when it comes to fan-remixes.

How did this discussion spawn from the beginning anyways?

Tommie moooo
Eurohawk
PostPosted: 14 April 2008 - 13:06:52 (588)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Tommie wrote:
Yep, alto its a bit of a grey area tbh. Somewhere i'd like to see unprofessional remixes as "Fan Remixes", something that's done without the intent to gain any commercial winning on it - except for possibly some shameless self promotion. Especially when it's done without any samples and just include the melody (dub).

But yes, everything you state above is true and i know that we, as trance.nu, do tend to ease the rules a bit when it comes to fan-remixes.

How did this discussion spawn from the beginning anyways?

It spawned here: http://trance.nu/v4/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2282722

And guys, go easy on me lol. I'm really not preaching, I just thought since its such a grey area i'd put up the actual rules for you to stick to. I know alot of bootlegs find their way out, but as i said - not all rules are kept or taken seriously.
If theres a rule stating that A can't hit B, but B thinks its a silly rule, B prolly won't accuse A, he simply has the right to do so if he wishes, he's not forced to.
Same goes with records, they CAN take action (probably wont because publicity is publicity), but they can. And in case some of you wondered, it's just the rules I put up, so they are clear once and for all happy
Eurohawk - Unlit Unity to be released 01.01.09 on Birdsnest (Concepcion) - www.eurohawk.dk
Tommie
PostPosted: 14 April 2008 - 13:13:02 (592)  Reply with quote
T.nu HeadAdmin

Eurohawk wrote:
Same goes with records, they CAN take action (probably wont because publicity is publicity), but they can. And in case some of you wondered, it's just the rules I put up, so they are clear once and for all happy

Yep, that's kinda why we - somewhat - allow fan-remixes on here. Its beneficial for both the original artist and the remixer.

But thanks for posting it, it's been quite some discussion in the past in regards of this thumbsup

Tommie moooo
Eurohawk
PostPosted: 14 April 2008 - 13:16:36 (594)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Tommie wrote:

But thanks for posting it, it's been quite some discussion in the past in regards of this thumbsup

You're welcome holy smilie
djzakquiney
PostPosted: 14 April 2008 - 14:23:19 (641)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I'm also guessing that legally when a remix of a track is made and the original composing artist is uncontactable or refuses to reply to correspondance, then technically the track cannot be released? Because it happened with armada and 'Michael Dow - Ascent' (except thet did release it).

And also, what if Michael were to say 'I'd never heard 'An Ending (Ascent)' before, this is purely coincidence'.?

If you're looking for a new forum to migrate to, why not join the fallout from the old Anjunabeats forum in our new home...?

www.unjunaforum.com

See you there happy
WakkaTraxx
PostPosted: 14 April 2008 - 14:42:11 (654)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

djzakquiney wrote:
I
And also, what if Michael were to say 'I'd never heard 'An Ending (Ascent)' before, this is purely coincidence'.?

I just had a listen to that track and it's such a blatant rip off of the original, An Ending (Ascent) by Brian Eno. There's no way he could get away with saying it was all coincidence.

www.myspace.com/frostbytesounds
http://www.bebo.com/FrostbyteMusic
WakkaTraxx says goodbye
micra_power
PostPosted: 14 April 2008 - 14:53:22 (662)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

WakkaTraxx wrote:
djzakquiney wrote:
I

I just had a listen to that track and it's such a blatant rip off of the original, An Ending (Ascent) by Brian Eno. There's no way he could get away with saying it was all coincidence.

In Michael's defence he never pretended it was his own track, nor did Mark Thornton with his track "Theme For Star Crossed Lovers" which samples Craig Armstrong's Balcony Scene from Romeo & Juliet.

Mr T wrote:

Yep, that's kinda why we - somewhat - allow fan-remixes on here. Its beneficial for both the original artist and the remixer.

thumbsup

www.twitter.com/willmau5
Will B: Upgrade 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdnSXdrn_rs
micra_power has retired from trance.
dancemania
PostPosted: 14 April 2008 - 17:00:35 (750)  Reply with quote
T.nu Staff

Great topic! I just made it sticky happy

Join the Ferry Corsten forum!!! : www.ferrycorsten.com/forum
dancemania Check http://www.twitter.com/TranceClassics for the best trance classics!
Eurohawk
PostPosted: 14 April 2008 - 17:41:21 (778)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

djzakquiney wrote:
I'm also guessing that legally when a remix of a track is made and the original composing artist is uncontactable or refuses to reply to correspondance, then technically the track cannot be released?

True.
HOWEVER; there's a little addition to the laws saying, that when an artist has been dead for 70 years, his material is free to use - samples, melodies, whole themes etc.

I just don't think that is the case here :P

--
And thxbow for sticky wink
PlasticSoul83
PostPosted: 16 April 2008 - 19:50:40 (868)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

i live in brasil, are these rules applied to my country too? since we lack of guvernment projects elaborating better rules in copyrights and use of computers softwares, music sharing, etc...

Eurohawk
PostPosted: 16 April 2008 - 20:10:44 (882)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Its a grey zone, but when we talk remixing - theese rules apply everywhere, since if your from brasil but want to remix tiesto's work, it is the rules of netherlands that comes to play.
PuXie
PostPosted: 18 June 2008 - 17:26:32 (768)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Really great thread , I have been wondering about this for many years now but never found any concrete rules about it. You said when an artist has been dead for over 70 years , his material is free for use , so i guess remixing classical music and such is ok . but if he has been dead like 10 years ? what about then ? puh
Also ,Guess you've heard "basshunter - Vi sitter i venten" , there he uses daddy Dj's old melody from many years back, did he actually ask him for allowance or can you just take a melody like that and say "oops , i made the same by mistake"?
SXC
PostPosted: 18 June 2008 - 17:29:07 (770)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Oh no!!! Basshunter unhappy unhappy unhappy

My New Tune
http://trance.nu/v4/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155721

Album of the moment:
Rain Stars Eternal

Single of the Moment:
Super Jupiter